Mesa 6x10 / 8x10 --- why no high freq horn?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by jhsg, Jan 12, 2018.

1. jhsg

jhsg Member

Hello everyone,

Quick question for the TGP bass gods.. :cool:

Why don't the 6x10 & 8x10 powerhouse mesa cabs have high frequency horns like the 4x10's & 2x10's?

Cheers,

JH

2. markmck79

markmck79 Member

They are designed and voiced for vintage (“Traditional”) tones; primarily the Ampeg 810 “fridge”. No HF horns there...

jhsg likes this.
  3. somedude

somedude Member

jhsg likes this.
  4. markmck79

markmck79 Member

jhsg likes this.
  5. jhsg

jhsg Member

Sorry guys, I did mean the traditional powerhouse.

I’m in one of those situations where I can get one cheap but can’t try it before I buy. Does anyone know the difference in tone with the traditionals with no horn?

6. sprag

sprag Member

I've owned the non tweeter version of the Bergantino 610. If that's anything to go by your not missing anything by not having a tweeter. I thought it made dirt sound great by cutting down on the ultra high end.

Edit: The Ampeg fridge don't have them either and that design seems have a few followers

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    markmck79 and jhsg like this.
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I have owned several cabs with tweeters. I always disabled them or turned them down. Some guys use them. Their tone usually sucks.
    :)

8. jhsg

jhsg Member

Thanks mate. I’m pretty sure not having a horn won’t be a problem but I’m just worried it’ll be muddy and less defined. I mainly use a super clean and round SWR tone which I think should fit that vintage style Mesa has gone for with this cab.

9. jhsg

jhsg Member

Haha! Good point.

10. somedude

somedude Member

The Standard Powerhouse cabs are modern ported cabs. Deeper lows, higher highs. More modern.

The Traditional Powerhouse cabs (610 & 810) are sealed cabs, like an old Ampeg 810E cab. Sealed cabs typically roll off more low end, less sub-bass boom, which helps keep it from drowning out the midrange.

jhsg likes this.
  11. jhsg

jhsg Member

Thanks for the response. Appreciate the detail.

How’s the high end on the traditional cab?

12. somedude

somedude Member

I have the Traditional 410, which has the horn. I never turn the horn on.

I tend to dial in my amp dirty and dig in hard, last thing I want is more top end.

jhsg likes this.
  13. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

The tweeter/horn starts to get you into frequencies other instruments naturally cover otherwise they get eq'd out anyway.

jhsg likes this.
  14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

hmm, that sounds to me like you're looking for a more hi-fi cab, so this might not be the right direction for you. they're also damned heavy, which is why you might be seeing such a deal on it.

i myself like a bit of tube-y grit and grind in my bass tone, and that usually sounds really nasty with tweeters. these cabs would be right up my alley if i didn't have to move them.

15. somedude

somedude Member

Agreed.

I missed that comment the first time around but want to mention that the Powerhouse cabs are aggressive cabs. Mine hits like a sledgehammer with a biting midrange. When Mesa says "Vintage" they basically mean "Ampeg 810E"... only more aggressive, because it's Mesa. They developed them to compliment the Prodigy/Strategy amps because of the way tube amps interact with a sealed cab that's being driven hard. They may not be the best choice if the OP is looking for clean and round.

16. jhsg

jhsg Member

Quick Update...

Got the cab. Running with my GK1001rb is producing a great result. I’m finding that I need to boost mids and treble a lot but the sound is excellent and exactly what I was looking for. Very happy.

The other thing I’m noticing is the 6x10 is actually easier to move around than the 4x10 due to the trolly system.

eigentone and somedude like this.
  17. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

I have a 4x10 with a tweeter and 1x15 with tweeter. I prefer the tweeters on and use the bass's onboard tone control. Works for me. My bass tone is typically clean and dynamic using tube amps.

Distortion/Fuzz into a bass cab with a tweeter can send the dogs running.

Happy New Cab Day OP! Glad you like it. And yeah, the 1x15 and 4x10 I have are very awkward to transport.

bottom crawler likes this.
  18. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

I would love to come across an 8X10 local, can't imagine shipping unless bought one new.
    My PH1000 is "ok" however the 8X10 would rule.

[​IMG]

19. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Yeah, that "tilt and pull" and "tilt and push" thing make it much easier than bending over and deadlifting.

20. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the 1000 is a rare design failure for boogie, a bunch of mis-matched speakers in one box. the 15 always tends to blow on these and they just don't sound as good as the rest of that line.

if you want a kick-ass big boogie cab, look at the PH 4x12, that thing is scary strong while not being as bulky as an 8x10. especially with something like your monster M9 on it, the 412 just feels fast, tight and "limitless".