Mesa amp troubles started while playing.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by kealiikai, Oct 14, 2005.

1. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

Got my new strings on and happily plugged into my Mesa Solo 50, things were going good until the sound went dead. I turned standby off, checked all connections, eleminated the wah, and put standby back on and it worked, but for a couple of minutes. I then tried each of 2 guitar cables both are working fine and with each one the amp cuts out after several minutes of playtime. The head is getting power, the power tubes are glowing, I can`t see the preamp tube so my question is would the problem be the preamps? Power tubes are fairly new and the preamps are stock. Amp I would say is about 4 years old. I need some help here:(

ALOHA:)

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

If that amp has an effects loop, the first thing I'd do is get a male jack, maybe from an old cord or something, spray some contact cleaner on it and do a thorough cleaning of the effects loop jack. What you describe could be just that and although it has never happened to me, I hear about it all the time.

If it isn't the effects loop jack being dirty, then it's probably best to have a good tech look at it because it's likely and internal component failing if the tubes are indeed good or maybe the tube sockets need retensioning. Make sure the tubes are seated properly too. Maybe it's a thermal failure of a component.

Honestly, it very well could be a dirty effects loop jack but if not, you should be good to that amp and have a qualified tech look it over. What you describe wouldn't likely be serious or too expensive. Certainly though, if it isn't a dirty effects loop jack, I wouldn't run it until it's been fixed.

Good luck!

3. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

Even if I don`t use the effects loop jack? I run straight into the front. How about the preamp tubes, could they cause this?

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

Not using the effects loop for a long time can often be the problem actually. Cleaning the jack is so easy and cheap, it's worth doing it.

And yes, the problem could be tubes but the fact that it seems to play normally for awhile then cut out doesn't point to a tube as the most likely culprit if you ask me. Tubes usually work right or don't work right from the beginning. They are either broken or not. Typically.

5. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

BTW, regarding the preamp tubes. One is lit nice and bright whereas the remaining others are kinda dull & dim. I don`t know if that means anything but I sure hope that is the problem.

6. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

I`ll have to clean the jack then, thanks.:)

7. Reeek

Reeek Member

Keep us posted. There are way better technicians on this board who can offer ideas if this doesn't work.

8. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

I will, thank you for your help and yes this is the best place for tech advice :dude :dude

9. kealiikai

kealiikai Member

Cleaning the effects loop jacks did it:dude Thanks for the help, I`m back to playing again:D