• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mesa Blue Angel

Swamp Thing

Howdy,

I used to own a 1 x 12 Mesa Blue Angel and sold it after many years because, to my ears, it lacked bass.

Anyone here own the 4 x 10 or the head and are you satisfied with the bass response? Anyone tried the head with a 1x15?

Or, is it just the nature of this amp, to be light on the bass in any configuration?

Thanks!

mrwhipple

Gold Supporting Member
I've never found the 1x12 to lack bass. It's a fairly full sounding combo. It does sound creamier and a little more dynamic with some NOS tubes in it. Currently running Marconi 6V6s and Tesla EL84s. It's pretty fat and full sounding when running the two sets of tubes in Progressive Linkeage mode.

Meriphew

I used to own a BA head. I ran it into an old Fender 2x12 cab. I never found it lacking bass.

logdrum

It sounds enough for me. I really can't imagine needing more bass for what it is. I have the head and although it is less bass than most Mesas but I cut the bass on most Mesas. It is the only one that needs the bass to be at 2 o'clock or more when dialing in clean and trying to do walking bass lines.

DeaconBlues

I used to own the head and a Mesa 4x10 cabinet which came loaded with Jensen P10R's. I didn't notice a lack of bass, but then P10R's can't handle a lot of bass anyway.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
I used to own a 1x12 combo - great sleeper amp from Mesa imho. I preferred the 1x12 to the 2x10 and 4x10 as I found them a little too warm/creamy and I wanted the punch from the the 1x12 Celestion. I wouldn't say mine lacked bass at all.

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Had a bunch of them and a head right now. Remember the tone controls are highly interactive. High settings of the treble control will eat up your bass even if the bass knob is turned up.
Really great classic amp.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
I'd say not a lot of bass. And I'd say about the right amount of bass. If you want the amp to thump on the bottom, I don't think you can get it. I still have my 1-12 version that I bought in 94, BTW.

hunter

Meriphew

Had a bunch of them and a head right now. Remember the tone controls are highly interactive. High settings of the treble control will eat up your bass even if the bass knob is turned up.
Really great classic amp.
Good point.

stratotastic

Funny--for all the other Mesa amp lines people complain about bass controls being too strong. Not sure people get so hung up on lack of bass in guitar amps anyway as any kind of band mix, live or recording, will have a bass instrument and/or keys to cover those frequencies and too much bass in a guitar amp makes it get lost in the mix. But I've always been intrigued by the BA and have tried a few out, and is still on my radar for someday possibly. Or a Maverick. All my Mesa experience is with the Mark line, LSS, and a Stiletto Ace (talk about NO BASS, or rather ALL TREBLE--LOL). Eh...sorry for not having anything helpful to contribute to the OP.

Swamp Thing

Funny--for all the other Mesa amp lines people complain about bass controls being too strong. Not sure people get so hung up on lack of bass in guitar amps anyway as any kind of band mix, live or recording, will have a bass instrument and/or keys to cover those frequencies and too much bass in a guitar amp makes it get lost in the mix. But I've always been intrigued by the BA and have tried a few out, and is still on my radar for someday possibly. Or a Maverick. All my Mesa experience is with the Mark line, LSS, and a Stiletto Ace (talk about NO BASS, or rather ALL TREBLE--LOL). Eh...sorry for not having anything helpful to contribute to the OP.
I'm from Toronto and you said "Eh", so I forgive you. : )

Trending Topics