Mesa Blue Angel!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Crowbar, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Crowbar

Crowbar Member

Hi, I have not posted in a long time so I'm just gonna rave about my amp.

Over the years I have sold off all the channel switching amps and my old tube screamer is gathering dust. The last amp was a Mesa Blue Angel 2x10 and it suits me fine. I have found my balance of clean tone with just the right amount of sting. Very sensitive amp, dig in hard and it breaks up, roll the guitar volume off a slight and it stays clean. Three power settings to experiment with, but thats not foot switchable. It just has one volume knob and the usual EQ. Great reverb.

It seems most of these amp are the 4x10 configuration, that'd be heavey for me. I also see 1x12's around, not too many of these 2x10's.

Anyone eles playing a BA these days?

2. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

Owned a BA head years ago and a Mesa 4x10 open back cab loaded w/Jensen P10R's. One of my "regrets" was selling it. They are truly sweet amps and one of the best Mesa's ever built, IMHO.

3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Still got my 1-12. I like it and gigged it a fair amount in the 90s. Having said that, I almost never use it as, even the 1-12 version is too heavy, and it isn't that much fun to play unless in a fairly narrow sweet spot. At the right volume, it is a blast but I can't always count on the venue to allow me to get there. I should take it out for a spin again.

hunter

4. metropolis74

metropolis74 Member

I had a 2x10 Blue Angel for a few years....and like many ex BA owners I regret selling it a few years ago. Sold it to fund a UK Vox AC15 TBX, which is more my sound. But now I miss the BA's unique overdrive. It's the amp that weened me off of distortion pedals Lol!

I got it used in 2006 and the previous owner installed Peavey Blue Marvels. I switched them out for smooth cone Jensen reissue P10Q's. Sounded great for blues and Americana, but got lost in the mix in the stupid quasi metal band I was in at the time.

The reverb was awesome. The fan noise and idle hiss not awesome. A 5751 in V2 tamed the hiss a tad. I still scour craigslist for a local BA, might get one again someday.

Enjoy your BA Crowbar!

5. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

I had a 4x10 BA but sold it years ago. It was a great amp and I do kinda miss it. I also, consider it one of MB's best offerings ever!
    It was a pretty heavy beast though...I don't miss that part :)

6. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I still have my 4x10 Blue Angel that I bought new. It's kind of unique, because it's got the upgraded red-croco embossed leather covering with a black grille cloth. It looks extremely cool. I love it to death, and play it often. The good thing is that I don't play away from home anymore, so I never have to move it. It is a beast to pick up. But the tone is awesome. With the right pre-amp tubes (lower gain), you can get rid of the hiss that many stock ones have, and make the reverb even sweeter. I use mine with a Hotplate, and the BA sounds glorious cranked up. What a fantastic amp for blues. If I don't play the BA for a couple weeks, it always stuns me when I get back to it. Such a full, warm, sweet sounding amp. It sounds good with all my guitars, but I've really found I like it with either my Ric or my Jaguar. Single coil pickups sound great through a Blue Angel. I can tell you that my BA has a permanent home. It's a shame that Mesa hasn't reissued such a fantastic amp. Five knobs, and that's all it needs. Less is indeed more.

mrwhipple likes this.
  7. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Add me to this post - had the 2x10 some years back, and would like to have another BA some day. I recall it fondly, and oh, that lush reverb. An unusual amp, for Mesa, but a great one for what it did so well.

=K

8. DGA

DGA Member

I have a Blue Angel 4x10 that I would like to sell, but the thought of what shipping is going to cost on that beast scares me :eek:.