• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Mesa Blue Angel

hobbes1

for those with experience with this amp and an attenuator, can you comment on which attenuator worked well or not so well? i am looking to be able to shave off up to a max of about 10dB from the volume at times.

please: those who want to tell me not to use an attenuator or that some other amp might be better or that i need a modeler, please skip this thread and don't reply. thanks.

jazzwannabe

Gold Supporting Member
You might not need an attenuator — there is a master volume trimmer inside the amp on the circuit board. It looks like a bias control pot that you can turn with a screwdriver. Try experimenting with turning down the output, and crank the volume knob on the control panel. Also, the mid control on that amp adds a lot of growling gain.

hobbes1

that's an interesting thing. i don't suppose you, or somewhere you know, has any sort of photo of the innards of the amp with where exactly the trim pot is located? that would be a nice alternative to forking out the cash for an attenuator. thanks for the info...

waxnsteel

You might not need an attenuator — there is a master volume trimmer inside the amp on the circuit board. It looks like a bias control pot that you can turn with a screwdriver. Try experimenting with turning down the output, and crank the volume knob on the control panel. Also, the mid control on that amp adds a lot of growling gain.
Where? Mine's awful quiet for almost 40 watts in simul-class.

jazzwannabe

Gold Supporting Member
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.

I can't remember exactly where the control is, but I think it's toward to right front side of the chassis (looking at it from the control panel), and it was either blue or green plastic, I think. It will have a screwdriver slot on the top — it was obvious that it was there for making adjustments. If you pop your chassis out, I'm sure you will see it. This was about 10 years ago for me, so I can't quite recall everything about it, but the guys at the Mesa factory showed me how to do it. That amp should be quite loud if it's working properly.

You probably already know, but if you get inside the amp, be sure you have a speaker load hooked up while adjusting the pot, and don't touch anything else in there — use only one hand to turn the screwdriver. Don't zap yourself.

JimAnsell

i never knew about that, but after checking out pictures of the one i used to own, i found and circled that trim pot for ya.

jazzwannabe

Gold Supporting Member
This picture proves my memory was faulty — the pot is toward the LEFT side of the amp, looking at it from the front panel.

i never knew about that, but after checking out pictures of the one i used to own, i found and circled that trim pot for ya.

jazzwannabe

Gold Supporting Member
I've had two or three of those amps, and while I liked the 4x10 best, I ended up getting rid of them because they're too noisy. Great tone, though.

hobbes1

yeah, i've heard a lot of people talk about the noise, but mine is as quiet as a church mouse just idling along and even at volume at 3 o'clock, it's just pure tone, no noise.

arnie65

Gold Supporting Member
yeah, i've heard a lot of people talk about the noise, but mine is as quiet as a church mouse just idling along and even at volume at 3 o'clock, it's just pure tone, no noise.

Wow, every Blue Angel I've ever seen hisses (including mine) it's a well known fact among BA owners. You got the perfect amp! There's a thread here in TGP that tells BA owners how to get rid of the hissing by changing the tube configuration of the preamp side, most people who done it say they love it.
The trimpot seems like an option to try.

Cheers, Arnie..

case4bass

Wonderful amp. I owned a head, they sound great with a recto ext cab.
1 or 2 x12s fills the room. combos sound smaller, worth converting to head.

stratocat63

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, head for me too. I have multiple cabs loaded with low wattage early breakup speakers at one end of the spectrum and high wattage efficient speakers at the other, open and closed back varieties. The different power levels mixed with different speakers make it extremely versatile.

never-enough

i agree.
but that is how i feel about heads vs. combos in general.

my blue angel head sounds great into my 2x10, 1x12, and 2x12 cabs.
my 4x12 is a little too power hungry for it to really shine but it still sounds good.

Trending Topics