1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Mesa Boogie and tube compression?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by papersoul, May 15, 2011.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Wht do you guys think about Mesas and how they treat tube compression? Do you find they lack a lot of tube compression? Seems like with mine I have to use a pedal to get it where I want it for leads. I am told from friends that Mesas for the most part lack tube compression like a Marshall, etc. Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Tube compression? What is that supposed to mean? It is impossible to compare one brand of amplifier to another based on 'tube compression'.

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

I guess I am comparing how I tend to use a pedal to add compression for leads with my DR.

4. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

The Mesa Dual Rectifier circuit certainly compresses the guitar signal as a direct result of the numerous cascading tube gain stages in the preamp.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Yes, and several other models as well.

6. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

In contrast to the Mesa Dual Rectifier, a vintage non-master volume circuit like the Marshall 1959 Super Lead seems to compress as the power tubes pull current to crank out a loud signal. Since there is less power supply filtering in the 1959 circuit, the high current flowing through the power tubes causes supply voltages to drop. The audible result is a compressed sounding attack aka 'sag'.

7. GT100

GT100 Member

Boogies are well known for tons of compression -that's one of big reasons some folks hate em...

Lloyd

8. Jeff el

Jeff el Member

Weird, I actually find my DR isn't compressed enough when it comes time to solo...

9. SteveO

SteveO Member

Yeah, that seems to be the case with the Recto family. The Mark series is where the compression is happening more.

10. papersoul

papersoul Member

My DR does not have a lot of compression.

11. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Post your settings.

12. Jeff el

Jeff el Member

I love it. Kicking on a boost adds all the necessary grit and compression for soloing while the uncompressed(ish) sound of the amp without the pedal gives me a huge sounding rhythm tone.

13. SteveO

SteveO Member

That's how I ran my Roadster as well.

14. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Supporting Member

...ditto as well...only with my Road King II....

15. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Try a Tremoverb and you'll see
    I owned one of the early 93-94 2x12 combos and it was the best amp i ever had.

16. Jeff el

Jeff el Member

Sorry, what will I see? That a TOV has more of that compression or less?

I was actually going to pick up a TOV combo last weekend for $450CAD but the guy was a flake.

17. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

You guys are talking about the difference between preamp saturation and output 'compression'. Boogies have a load of preamp saturation, but not much output 'compression'.
    Marshalls are kind of the opposite, especially plexi style circuits. Those have much less preamp saturation, but when the amp is dialed up the output section really takes a beating... which it loves.

18. papersoul

papersoul Member

GREAT point! This is one thing I really enjoy about the new Rectifier I have. My rhythm tones are massive. I kick on my Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive which is dead silent into the rectifer and retains all the biggness but adds some compression for leads. This pedal is so quiet and does not altert the fundamental tone to the point that I could leave the pedal on all the time if I wanted to. :)
    That is where the Mark V fell short for me, it was always more compressed so rhythms did not sound as huge as the new Rectifier which is VERY versatile.

19. somedude

somedude Member

The Recto is mostly about feeding a distorted preamp signal into a power amp with a huge amount of headroom. It's what gives it that punchy, dynamic response when playing rhythm. Adding more compression would help the amp to sing more, but it would also mush up the rhythm sound.

Fortunately, Mesa saw fit to offer the amp with dual rectifiers. So you can use diode for your rhythm sound for maximum headroom, then sag it with the tube rectifier for more compression on leads.

The ability to assign rectifiers by channel is one of the reasons I prefer my Roadster to my 2 channel.

And when that the above still isn't enough I kick on a FullDrive 2.

20. dughaze

dughaze Member

I would use a Rectoverb for the open aggressive rythm crunch and the Mark IV for sustaining chewy violin leads.