Mesa Boogie bottle rocket didn't do the trick... need Santana/EJ sounding DISTORTION

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by re-animator, Feb 8, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I thought that the mesa boogie v-1 bottle rocket was the ultimate "mark series mesa in a pedal." What i found out was that it was actually an excellent booster/OD for a hot amp... but didn't deliver the "liquidy goods" when I wanted to use it on its own. Alas, the tone quest continues....

I mostly use fuzzes and boosters for dirt (i play a tele and LP through an ac30), but I want something a little more contemporary sounding that can cover the ground that my fuzzes (BC-108 fuzzface, big muff NYC) don't do. To me that means the Europa-era santana tones, Eric Johnson's Tube Driver sounds (got his fuzz tone down), and Neal Schon's smooth but powerful lead sound.

I feel like i got everything else covered, but I need to get the last piece of the puzzle. I use treble boosters and clean boosters in my rig too, but i'm looking for something just to help me get these last few higher gain tones.... probably something Mesa Mark/Soldano SLO voiced.

Might it be.... *gulp* a dumbley pedal??? If so then i've gone nuts.

suggestions??

2. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

MI Audio Tube Zone 6 knobber. A bit tricky to dial in but its got the Mesa sound for sure. Not too expensive either.

3. buddatron

buddatron Member

4. reo73

reo73 Member

In my experience if you want a boogie tone nothing will do it but a boogie.

5. Dale

Dale Member

Duncan Twin Tube. BB, AC from Carl Martin. Sometimes a Java Boost helps as well.

6. re-animator

I actually had a soulbender and it was a damn good pedal and I kinda wish I never traded it, but i've got too many fuzzes now and I need a real distortion pedal rather than another fuzz (plus treble booster + fuzzface gets me most of the way to soulbender territory anyway).

anyway, I completely forgot about the xotic BB. Whats the AC from carl martin??

the tube zone is definitely on my list but I think it might just be a little bit too hairy.

also, might a keeley DS-1 do the trick??

7. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

8. Grap

Grap Member

Mesa V-Twin.

For that EJ vibe, well a Reverend Drivetrain gets close in my book. They even have a sample setting in the manual called "Austin Violin" ;)

9. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Please.
    This is the territory that the Jetter GSB owns.
    Just buy the Jetter and be done with it!
    IMO, of course!
    -bk

11. re-animator

been thinking about the jetter, but i'll probably need to find some more info about it first... its probably between jetter, tube zone, keeley ds1, and xotic bb right now. I'm leaning towards the xotic, but i'm not sure if it has enough gain for a clean vox.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

If you are thinking EJ, forget the BB. I owned one for over a year. Fine pedal. Not close to EJ tone IMO. The DS1, even modded by Keeley (owned it as well) isn't even remotely close to EJ's tone. Never owned a tube zone.

Go listen to Brad audtioning a GSB on the Jetter site, through a clean DR. THAT's what it'll sound like. Nothing I've owned comes close.

13. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

Now look what you went an' done!

Ya cost me another $241 samoleans!

I blamed my new Plexi on my bassist. He told me I sounded like Randy Rhoads. That was the last straw for me.

GSB + Plexi should make me da man.

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thank me later.
    =)

-bk

15. re-animator

actually, EJ has been using a stock ds-1 as of late for a third tone (apart from fuzz, tube driver) lately.

As far as the GSB... its cool, but closer to EJs fuzz tone from what I understand... that's actually a tone I have down pretty well now with a bc108 fuzzface. I'm kinda looking for a more upper-midrangey tone... which i think i found.

after really tweaking the v-1 a bit, I've gotten a lot closer to the juicy midrange tone i'm after. I should have realized that, with the trickiness dialing in mesa amps implies... the pedals are very similar. They are NOT easy to dial in at all... the attack is still a little squishy, but I'm pretty sure a new set of tubes is gonna cure that as well as even out the output of the pedal.

bottom line, i'm gonna stick with it for a little while at least, but i think its something worth hanging on to... especially since the price will undoubtedly skyrocket like the v-twin did.

16. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

I had a v-twin and didn't care for it at all. The responsiveness wasn't there and the bass end was muddy. The tubes hardly did anything in the circuit.