Mesa/Boogie Electra Dyne vs Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Discussion in 'Guitar Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by Hollis, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Hollis

Hollis Member

Here's a video comparing my Electra Dyne and DRRi. Which one do think sounds better?

Electra Dyne vs Deluxe Reverb: http://youtu.be/f_1BH7bYR9A

2. Hollis

Hollis Member

I meant to post this in the "Amps and Cabs Demos" subforum. Sorry. Please move this thread.

3. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Supporting Member

Sounds good. I think I like the DRRi more overall though. I have never understood why Mesa keeps their amps so darkly voiced. It doesn't help the sound of the guitar in the overall mix. At home, sure, it sounds fat and gently muscular. In the mix, forget it -- I need the brightness.

4. Hollis

Hollis Member

Thanks for your input! That's my fault probably. I felt the DRRi was darker than the Electra Dyne, so I turned up the treble on the Fender to almost 6 on the dial(12:30). If it's simply a matter of brightness, a small adjustment of the treble or presence knob can probably solve it. Speakers and Cabs make a huge difference too. The next comparison I'll run them both through the same cab.

5. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Supporting Member

Maybe, but I think the Fender did sound better. Do you prefer the Electra Dyne?

6. Hollis

Hollis Member

That's a tough question. I like the Electra Dyne for the fact that it has way more headroom, and it can stay clean at any volume. But the Fender reacts to pedals just a little better. Idk if it's the Jensen speaker or if it's because it has a simpler signal path. I gig the Electra Dyne and use the blue (plexi) mode 90% of the time. When simply playing the amps clean, it's hard to pick a winner. It's when you hear how an amp reacts to pedals it brings out the nuance. You're right, watching the video, with pedals the Mesa certainly does seem a little darker.

7. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

I like the electra-dyne too.

8. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

The Fender sounds better.

9. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

The ED is a GREAT amp - and the way the knobs interact can have a fairly large impact on tone (as does COMPLETELY bypassing the reverb - I find mine to have less noise when I'm bypassing the verb circuit all together)

10. Hollis

Hollis Member

I found out a couple of days ago that I had a bad preamp tube in the Electra Dyne. I'd started noticing this wierd static kind of sound occasionally when I played some lower notes. Since it occurred on all three modes, I started swapping the v7 (driver) tube. This was it! No more static sounds and the amp sounded so much better. Much more open sounding, blanket removed, type of change. Now I need to remake the video for sure! Apparently, v7 tube has a substantial impact on tone.