• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Mesa Boogie experts: power tubes red plating

Deadpool_25

My California Tweed has been acting up lately. I finally got around to troubleshooting so I flipped it around and turned it on. Looks like one or two tubes have failed and are red plating (one may be fine and just affecting another).

The set are all GRN color coded. I happen to have a pair of RED ones laying around. I seem to remember you can mix two codes as long as they’re symmetrical? Like put the two reds on the outside and greens on the inside or vice versa?

Blackmoreguitar

Gold Supporting Member
I woud first swap the pair of 'good' tubes on the right with the pair of red plating tubes on the left. If the red plating follows the tubes and appears on the right then you know it is the tubes that are faulty. If the red plating stays on the left then there is a fault with the left hand sockets.

Deadpool_25

I woud first swap the pair of 'good' tubes on the right with the pair of red plating tubes on the left. If the red plating follows the tubes and appears on the right then you know it is the tubes that are faulty. If the red plating stays on the left then there is a fault with the left hand sockets.
Good call. I’ll try that now.

And if it’s the tubes, I just found where I read that you can mix the colors:

Reactions: Rod

Trending Topics