Mesa Boogie F-50 is AMAZING!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lestercollector, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

I'm so excited about this amp that I had to take a moment to share this with my fellow Gear Page Friends. Two weeks ago I traded my favorite Nash Guitar for a Mesa Boogie F-50 with matching 1X12 Cab. I had heard so much about this amp that I was sure I had to have one. EVERYTHING I heard was true! The F-50 (F-Series) is by far the best Mesa Boogie I have owned PERIOD....and I have owned several. We all dream of an amp we can plug directly into and get the tone we desire without having to use the "daisy chain from hell" of pedal after pedal. I found this dream amp to be the F-50. I plugged my 57 Les Paul directly into the F-50, adjusted the settings, turned the Master up to about 4, and found heaven.......

If you get a chance, try one for yourself! The salesperson will have to pry you away from it!

AMAZING AMP!

Joe

2. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I recently spent a little time in a nice guitar store, trying some expensive boutique amps and some mainstream production amps, including the F50. The F50 was the only one I really liked, and it was 1/3 the price of a few of the others.

3. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

I've been eyeballing these for a couple of days now, along with the DC-5. I've recently started playing with a cover band and want to add a channel switcher. How is the reverb on the F-50?

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I liked the one I played quite a bit.

5. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I though it was pretty good, and I'm a bit of a reverb freak. Each channel had an independent setting for 'verb level. The price for a new one was less than $1100, if I remember right. I like the OD better than the typical Mesa recto thing (which is of no use to me at all).

6. amper

amper Member

Yes, it is...

and if you like the F-50, you should try the F-30. Same preamp, but with the Dyna-Watt output section. I'm going to pair these two up myself. F-50 for cleans, F-30 for dirt.

The reverb, BTW is very nice, but (by design) cuts out for a second or so when switching channels. Randall Smith likes it that way, for some reason.

You may have heard this before, but I've made the following modifications to my F-50 1x12 narrow chassis combo, Serial #90:

1. Replaced V1 & V2 with a variety of different tubes, currently Mesa SPAX7's, but I've tried Mesa 12AT7's, 12AX7EH's, and 12AU7EH's. Next try is 12AY7's, which I think may be the best for me.
    2. Replaced the stock Mesa/Celestion Black Shadow 90 speaker with a Mesa/Celestion Vintage 30
    3. Replaced V5 & V6 with Groove Tubes #5 KT66HP's (actually, today, it's loaded with THD Yellowjackets and Mesa EL84's)

7. Lestercollector

The amp is just amazing for as simple as it is. The Crunch is Just that ...crunch.. and the clean channel is lush and full! I also like the "Contour" button for that nice "Boost" like you get from stomping on a pedal right before you go into a solo. And the bottom end...Fantastic! Deep, but not muddy...

Best trade I've done in a long time!

8. Lestercollector

I just picked up a DC-3 head and I believe it has the Dyna-Watt output section? Do you have any experience with that one?

9. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan Member

South East, UK - dissecting yet another Huff solo
    Hi Lestercollector,

and welcome to the army of fans for Mesa's stealth amp. The F-50 is my favourite amp from Boogie and it ended many years of searching for my ideal amp. I had a budget to buy pretty much any Mesa, and had to follow my ears and come home with the F-50. I've been ravin' about my widebody combo for almost three years, and it's been a pleasure to see the genral appreciation for the F-series' widen and grow. :cool:

I usually just lurk here, but you may be interested in this thread where I posted a range of clips (video, audio as well as some other useful links) of my F-50 in action. There is an entire brotherhood of F-series users over at HCAF so feel free to check that out - especially the musically vast range of clips in the first post! :)

So what kind of music do you play, Lestercollector?

Big smiles,

Andy.

10. amper

amper Member

I don't think I've ever played a DC-3, but I used to have a 20/20. Amazing amp. I'm a Dyna-Watt believer. As I understand it, Randall Smith designed the F-Series to overcome some of the shortcomings of the Dual Caliber preamp section, which is admitted by RS to be a bit on the noisy side. So, think of the F-Series as an updated, upgraded version of the DC.

11. Lestercollector

Andy:
    Thanks for the information! WOW! That will take me some time to go through all of it. Much appreciated! As for the music I play...everything from Sunday church praise to Black label Society (oxymoron) ? LOL!
    Anyway, That's what I love about this amp! You can go from one extreem to the other without having to deal with tons of knobs! My latest piece is a Lee Ritenour attempt, with my 335

12. sage97

sage97 Member

How is the F-50 or the F-30 at household volumes?

13. Lestercollector

I think it's great! You get a nice saturated lead or crunch at very low volumes! Even my wife likes it!

:p

14. j37nm

j37nm Member

It is a great amp.

I don't like that fact that you have to crank it a bit to get some nice tone. I tried it with an attenuator & yellow jackets. It is still too loud.

The distortion is very, very grainy. I think this is the new mesa boogie sound. It also lacks the midrange some of the old classic boogies had. As a result, it doesn't cut through the mix as well. But, if you like the modern sound, you will probably dig it.

The cleans are very, very nice. Probably worth the price of admission. I play more dirt than cleans.

I have mine up for auction. It is a no reserve, if anyone is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-F-50-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ7388990534QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

peace

j

15. Mike Schram

Mike Schram Member

I've had a DC-3 head for 7 years.... i like it lots. But lately i've been craving a Marshall again.

16. Bruster

Bruster Member

I chose a DC-5 over the F-50 last year solely because it has the output EQ... hadn't figured out that the F-50 was an upgrade.... These really are sleeper amps... ridiculously good for the piddling price I paid! I keep trying to figure why they don't bring more money!

An aside to "amper"... I had no idea you could run KT66 in the output... did you have to mod/ rebias? Any probs?

17. amper

amper Member

That depends. Are you looking for clean or dirty? Are you looking for power tube dirt or preamp only?

Cleans - great at any volume
    Power tube dirt - only works at very high volume levels, like any other amp.
    Preamp tube dirt - great at any volume

Today my F-50 is loaded with THD Yellowjackets & EL84's, running through two Groove Tubes SE-II's and a THD Hot Plate, *in series*.

That is, F-50 -> SEII -> SEII -> Hot Plate -> Vintage 30

If I push the EL84's to distortion, it's still very loud, as in "louder than my wife wants to hear at night"--and that's with the SEII's both set to 25% power, and the Hot Plate set to -12dB, for a total attenuation of -24dB.

18. amper

amper Member

The F-50 is only an upgrade in the sense that RS was trying to tame some of the inherent noise in the DC preamp design. That's one of the reason why Mesa beganm offering the SPAX7 tubes--to help reduce the noise for DC owners (and other noisy Mesa amps).

And no, I didn't rebias. I talked to Myles Rose, and he suggested that the mid-range GT rated KT66HP's would work fine without a bias mod (#4-#6 ratings). It sounds great to me! Which is a good thing, because there are *no* bias adjustments on Mesa/Boogie amps, unless you modify the bias circuit to include them.

19. amper

amper Member

I should also mention that the early F-50's are slightly different than the current version. Apparently, there were about 400 F-50's made (not sure if this refers to all models, or just the 1x12 combo, I forgot to ask the guys at Mesa), and then they decided to "revoice" the circuit (also forgot to ask exactly what they meant by "revoiced", sorry). I also don't know if these changes were also applied to the F-30 and F-100.

Mine is one of the early ones, serial #90. The new combos also only come in the "Wide Body" cabinet/chassis, with the exception of the F-30.

20. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Member

Andy,

I've been looking at one of these hard and your clips helped a lot. Your tones were great but I was wondering if they can get any fatter. I play a tele every now and then and was wondering about the tones I could get using fairly low power pickups. Your thoughts on this or anybodys?

Thanks!