Mesa Boogie Fan Goes Marshall. Who's in????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Neptical, Mar 22, 2020.

1. JLR

JLR Member

Currently own multiple Marshall's. The 2204 JMP or JCM 800 are my favorite and much more articulate than a DSL which I also own. I like the DSL but not in the same class as 2204's. I have a Mark V and it isn't easy to dial in but when you do it's killer. For most it takes minutes to dial in a great Marshall tone but much longer for a Mark V Mesa which is one versatile amp. If I had to sell an amp the Mesa would go before my Marshall's. I've learned how to manage 1 channel amps with my guitar volume and pedals. Not a fan of the red channel on a DSL and I treat it like a 1 channel amp.

BADHAK, ProfRhino and Neptical like this.
  2. Smooth555

Smooth555 Member

Horses for courses.
    I have a mark V and it nails great cleans, pushed, and that Metallica sound. It’s tight and precise for speed.
    I have a JVM HJS and I use that for rock, 80’s hard rock and those blooming leads.
    I play both and also run my Helix through an frfr. Depends on my mood of the day but each gets played regularly.

cust22 and Neptical like this.
  3. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    That's why I have both, although my JVM is only used a few times a year. It's impossible for me to walk away from the Mesa Mark family. :wave

Wyzard and Neptical like this.
  4. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

A Marshall DSL50 into a Marshall 1960 cab with G12T75 is a great sounding rig. Enjoy!

Hefalump and Neptical like this.
  5. LCW

LCW Supporting Member

I have one of each... mini JCM800 (aka SC20) and a mini Mark V (aka V:25). Both are awesome for different reasons. 80's Trash - Marshall. Metallica, Lamb of God, Petrucci, Mark V.

MkIII Renegade and Neptical like this.
  6. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

I love Marshalls and Boogies.

And tweed Fenders and Vox and Friedman and Orange and Diezel.

Ok, so I'm just a slut.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Wyzard, ProfRhino and Neptical like this.
  7. Ultra GP

Ultra GP Member

What settings are you using for the red channel? Depending on how much distortion you're using, try lead 2 with the gain turned down a bit (to equal what you were using on lead 1 if that makes sense.) Sounds a bit less compressed I've found, and allows you to turn the bass control up a bit more

I generally go back and forth with the green channel modes depending on the pedals. Wish they were footswitchable (it's possible anyway - http://www.gsharp.co.uk/footswitch.html)

Check this out for some ideas too.

8. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

You are a unicorn in the DSL world! haha. Many, if not most of us use green crunch nearly exclusively. After doing the C12 clip mod, I can sometimes use red OD1 as my alternate/lead channel--set with a touch more gain and a touch more volume than my green crunch setting.

I have owned a purple stripe 100w, black dot simul and now my red stripe simul. The red is by far the best of the bunch. I pretty much only stay on the lead channel, but sometimes switch to clean. R2 is useful on the Red, too. R2 was pretty much unusable on the purple stripe, OK on the black dot.

Neptical and LCW like this.
  9. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

The Mesa Electra Dyne (head and 4x12 or 2x12) converted me from a life of Marshalls.

Hapax Legonemon likes this.
  10. ubernerd

ubernerd Member

For years I gigged a 50 cal+, and then a T-verb; but got the Marshall itch. I ended up getting a Splawn Quick Rod and am loving the upper mid...”thing”. It’s just rock ‘n roll. My Mesas aren’t going anywhere, but for the time being, the Splawn is “it”.

Neptical and NortheastHick like this.
  11. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Once I got used to Mesa amps, I could never go back to Marshall. I like Marshall amps, but with my Boogie amps I feel like I can EQ them in way better for the sounds I go for. My favourite Boogie yet is the multiwatt Dual Rectifier.. its really fantastic and not just a metal amp. It does everything from vintage to 80s to 90s to modern metal and it has so much gain I pretty much don't even use pedals with it.

One of my issues with Marshall amps is at higher gain they loose note separation whereas a Mesa will not lose it the same way. This is all in the design of these amps, it doesn't mean the Marshall is bad, it just has a different design. Some guys don't care about it, but for me its a big deal to hear the notes separate better.

I think if I was going to go back to a Marshall style amp I'd be leaning on a Friedman. I played his Smallbox amp and it was truly great and had much better dynamics than any Marshall I have played.

12. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

My experience is the exact opposite. Marshalls sound better as the volume goes up, mesas fall apart.

13. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I was an artist endorsee for Mesa Engineering and played Boogies for almost 2 decades, starting back in the mid 1970's. However, I had previously loved the sound of Marshall and had used them in sessions and before that since they came out. I was in a master session and had 3 of my 6 Boogies with me in the session but was just not getting the sound ask for by the producer. I sent a tech out to rent from a local music store, any Marshall amp he could get.

The very next day, I sold all 6 of my Boogies amps, when heavily into vintage and current Marshall amps and still play them to this day. I have come to dislike the sound of American amps built after Fender tweeds, and have only played British Marshall/European-built amps since the early 1990's for both clean and dirt.

I learned that I also prefer Marshall's cleans to Ampeg cleans which we all used back in the 1950's and early 1960's for playing jazz.

Currently, I own a Mini Jubilee, a Pleximan, and a BluGuitar Amp1 ME. If the Pleximan and BluGuitar amp did not do Marshall authentically, I would not own them.
    While I have played other European amps which were boutique versions of Marshalls as well, I eventually went back to purely Marshall amps until just recently. I heard the Pleximan on this forum, spoke with the company owner, and designer and tried one. I bought it because I am now using lower wattage, and smaller physically-sized heads, so I wanted one that could get me 50 watts when I needed it, but without the size and weight. Previously I used 100 and 50 watt Marshalls only.

When I heard about the BluGuitar Amp1 ME, and tried it, it had the feeling and sound of the Marshalls I loved best, the JTM45, Plexi, and JCM800. It was a no-brainer to pick one up, and after using it for several months, I cannot tell the difference while playing it, between it and my Marshall. It's nice to have such similar feeling and sounding amps, which are all Marshall sounding. If I never found out about the Pleximan and BluGuitar amps, I would still only be playing nothing but Marshall.

It is the only amp sound I care to use any more for everything.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    ProfRhino and Neptical like this.
  14. Neptical

Neptical Member

Haha! I absolutely love that Red Channel Lead 1. It's very smooth with enough grit to cut. I keep my settings on the dials very light and let the amp do it's thing. Using my old JCM800 cab is crucial to getting the tone I want.

Also, I do have a purple stripe Mark III head as well. Overall it's a bit warmer, vintage-y than the Red Stripe where the Red is just a bit hotter. Lately I was using my Purple to get closer to the Marshall tones I was looking for.

bigtone23 likes this.
  15. Neptical

Neptical Member

Wow! Cool little story there, thank you for sharing! I'm finding that the answer is simply the EL34 driven power section just hits the sweet spot. It keeps the amp singing without the boominess of the 6L6 there which is what I've been used to with my Mesa Boogies. Also the reason why I absolutely love the Mark Series in Class A mode with running just the EL34s

C-4 likes this.
  16. C-4

C-4 Member

I had EL-34's in my Boogies, installed at the company when I ordered the amps. All of my Boogies used EL-34's. I could never get the Marshall sound or even a close proximity to it from Mesa amps. I had all Boogie iterations from the MKII-A through the MK III.

I further find them almost impossible to dial in and get what I wanted from both channels. I would get one channel dialed in, and when I adjusted the second channel and went back to the first channel, everything had changed. It became a matter of settling for a close approximation of what I wanted on both channels.

With Marshalls, I dialed in the sounds and Voila, everything I wanted was there, and quickly.

BADHAK, ProfRhino and Neptical like this.
  17. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

My thoughts exactly lol the TC50 is such a superb amp, and easy to navigate.

18. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

I had EXACTLY the same experience. When I first started playing guitar, I always thought Boogie was better than Marshall. Not sure why I thought that, but it was a mistake. I had bought a beautiful Marshall JCM 800 at one point and I thought to myself - "if this Marshall sounds this good, just imagine what a Mesa would sound like! It should sound even better" - what a mistake that was.

There is a reason why so many people play Marshalls. They sound great. Period.

BADHAK, Neptical and C-4 like this.
  19. C-4

C-4 Member

Back when I bought my first Mesa amp, your description of the quality of sound between Marshall and Mesa was exactly what a lot of us thought.

If I only knew then, what I know now!

20. Neptical

Neptical Member

As a long user of the Mark Series (certainly not as long as yourself), I never did try to get them to replicate a Marshall, nor did I think they sounded anything like one. They, to me, were a big oomphed up Fender with bells and whistles. For the most part I've used them as a single channel amp and with good volume, they clean up well.Balancing the channels can definitely be a circus act and the fiddling of the knobs can be more often than I'd like. But when I can get them to my sweet spot, it's very inspiring. It was amazing to pick up the Marshall and have some fantastic tone in a few minutes and still haven't touched the dials to change it. That consistency with it's simplicity is enough to keep turning it back on.

Wyzard, BADHAK, NortheastHick and 2 others like this.