• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mesa Boogie Flux Drive Opinions From Users

DRS

I'm considering purchasing one of these.

They've been out for a year.

I'd get an actual Boogie Express 5:50+ but every year it's something: last year the truck's front end. This year the truck's rear end:thud:bonk and I need a new roof:bonk :bonk :thud So my Mesa Boogie will need to be a $180 dirt box.

Looking for that liquid lead tone. Santana.

Any happy users over the long run?

The Flux Drive is the most versatile of the bunch IMO, especially if you're just needing overdrive. It can do the cleanish boost thing with the gain down or crank the gain all the way up for a cranked tube amp kind of sound with pretty good touch response. With the separate treble and bass controls, it's essentially Mesa's version of a Bad Monkey.

If you really need to sound specifically like a Mesa amp in particular, and/or need high-gain metal tones available, go with the Throttle Box. It's got the most gain on tap and does the best job as a stand-alone dirt box. It's got pretty good reviews for being able to emulate a Mesa Recto. Huh, go figure.

Yeah, I got that from the Santana mention in the OP. Unfortunately, the Throttle Box doesn't exactly nail either the Recto or the Mark series tone perfectly (it is just a pedal after all), but with some good EQing, it'll get you in the neighborhood of either. We might be talking out of budget, but you could try putting a Tone Burst in front of the Throttle Box to get you that final step there.

la noise

Not sure it can do a spot-on Mark-series lead tone, DRS. :huh

It is a damn fine pedal, though. Lots of sustain. Not overly compressed or choked.
Good responsiveness to pick dynamics, too.

I feel you on the truck repair front. This recent cold snap in the North bit me last night.
2 year old Interstate battery needs to be replaced. Got so cold one of the plates inside
of the battery literally snapped.

DRS

Not sure it can do a spot-on Mark-series lead tone, DRS. :huh

It is a damn fine pedal, though. Lots of sustain. Not overly compressed or choked.
Good responsiveness to pick dynamics, too.

I feel you on the truck repair front. This recent cold snap in the North bit me last night.
2 year old Interstate battery needs to be replaced. Got so cold one of the plates inside
of the battery literally snapped
Yikes!:omg
We are at 50F in the sunshine today. But it also rains for 7 months a year so that's why I have to drop $8K on a roof:(

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
Flux drive is now my main pedal. Very smooth OD. Yes, Santana like tones. Also stacks very well with my OCD and my Ruby OD. I have a new Zendrive on the way so we'll se how she compares.

Al

DRS

So far I've compared it to the OD pedals I have - now don't laugh too hard . . . Bad Monkey, Danelectro TODv1, and a Freakish Blues Alpha Drive (v1). I know, hardly competition.

It is a great sounding pedal that gets that liquid Boogie lead sound into a Traynor Darkhorse (15w 2x 6V6) quite easily. It also gets nice rhythm sounds at lower gains and works well as a low gain (not transparent) boost with the gain down and the level up. It will clean up with the guitar volume knob.

First off for the guy that said it was just like a Bad Monkey because they both have a bass and treble knob, it isn't. You have to wind the Monkey all the way up to get to were the Flux is around 40%. The BM also has that mid hump and compressed sound typical to TS clones. The Flux is more open with more bass if required. The tone controls are also active on the Flux which gives it more tone shaping. The BM is a good pedal but I am looking for more.

The Dano TOD is more open than the BM but it doesn't have the gain of the Flux. But it is a great little pedal for $50. Too bad the enclosure is strictly amateur hour.

The Alpha Drive, despite the controversy and its ignoble origin, is actually a good pedal. Its gain and volume range are comparable to the flux but having only a tone control hampers it. It doesn't have quite as much of the harmonic content of the Flux. The flux just sounds a bit richer. I bet at a gig, nobody would notice. The Flux is also built way better. I'm having issues with the power jack for the Alpha and it's only seen light use.

So maybe not head to head with some of the more illustrious pedals but that's my review for now.

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
So far I've compared it to the OD pedals I have - now don't laugh too hard . . . Bad Monkey, Danelectro TODv1, and a Freakish Blues Alpha Drive (v1). I know, hardly competition.

It is a great sounding pedal that gets that liquid Boogie lead sound into a Traynor Darkhorse (15w 2x 6V6) quite easily. It also gets nice rhythm sounds at lower gains and works well as a low gain (not transparent) boost with the gain down and the level up. It will clean up with the guitar volume knob.

First off for the guy that said it was just like a Bad Monkey because they both have a bass and treble knob, it isn't. You have to wind the Monkey all the way up to get to were the Flux is around 40%. The BM also has that mid hump and compressed sound typical to TS clones. The Flux is more open with more bass if required. The tone controls are also active on the Flux which gives it more tone shaping. The BM is a good pedal but I am looking for more.

The Dano TOD is more open than the BM but it doesn't have the gain of the Flux. But it is a great little pedal for $50. Too bad the enclosure is strictly amateur hour.

The Alpha Drive, despite the controversy and its ignoble origin, is actually a good pedal. Its gain and volume range are comparable to the flux but having only a tone control hampers it. It doesn't have quite as much of the harmonic content of the Flux. The flux just sounds a bit richer. I bet at a gig, nobody would notice. The Flux is also built way better. I'm having issues with the power jack for the Alpha and it's only seen light use.

So maybe not head to head with some of the more illustrious pedals but that's my review for now.
Nice review. Interesting enough, today I did a comparison with all my OD pedals to see which one would work the best in the new (to me) Mesa DC2 combo I just bought. I compared the FD, OCD, Smiletone Ruby, Quinn Hot Buttered Scotch, Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Blues, and Digitech Tone Driver. The Zendrive I ordered won't be here until Wednesday.

So I worked backwards, eliminating pedals, first for heavy overdrive. First to go was the Digitech; very flat and meh. Next was the Smiletone Ruby; to thin, not enough low end for a good balance. Then the SD Twin Tube. The two channels is a nice feature, but was a bit flat. Then the OCD. Better than the Ruby, but not enough low end. So I was left with the FD and the HBS. I could be happy with either, but the FD was the winner due to it's tonal flexibility. So the FD is on my main board, the HBS is on my secondary board.

Next I compared the remaining pedals for light OD, mostly for rhythm work. Again, the Digitech went out first (anyone want to buy one?!?). Next was the SD Twin Tube. Nice, but quite frankly, too big for only using as a light OD. Low gain channel was pretty good, with just a bit of "fizzy" to it. Both the OCD and Ruby were very, very close here, so I brought the HBS and the FD back to see how they stacked with each other. So my "final" (yeah, right) combinations:

Flux Drive and OCD (v 1.7) for the main board
Quinn HBS and the Ruby for the secondary board

Next weekend we'll see if the Zendrive moves the FD or HBS off of either board.

It never ends, does it? Our drummer thinks us guitar players are crazy, and unfortunately I think he's probably right....:rotflmao

Al

Goldwing

Has anyone tried the FD with a Bad Monkey or BBpreamp or other mid-bust pedal?

I think, if you want that santana tone, you need more gain than what the Flux Drive has, so boost the input with another pedal, I think the best options would be the BBpreamp or a tS inspired pedal.

Anyone have tried this? comments?

cheers!!

King Rat

Has anyone tried the FD with a Bad Monkey or BBpreamp or other mid-bust pedal?

I think, if you want that santana tone, you need more gain than what the Flux Drive has, so boost the input with another pedal, I think the best options would be the BBpreamp or a tS inspired pedal.

Anyone have tried this? comments?

cheers!!
using the flux drive with the gain at noon into any other overdrive set with similar gain gives me more than enough gain to get the liquid creamy santana tones,

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
I'd certainly say its more mk series than recto to me- really versatile, rich, and harmonic.
It does the Santana thing well.
I'm a big fan. I've had the bb pre/- and the flux is a bit different. I like gain at 12 volume 10 bass 10 treble 1

Goldwing

Never thought that the FD could be used to boost anything, so that's another way I see. Still, since IMO the "color" of the overdrive is given by the last pedal on the chain, I think that it's better to "hit" the Flux Drive with another pedal first.

But I'll try the suggestion King Rat!

Anyone has another experience by boosting the FD? Idzzle have you tried to kick the BB and FD at the same time?

cheers

Trending Topics

Top Bottom