Mesa Boogie is back to TGP !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gibson08, Sep 7, 2008.

1. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Anyone else notice there is more talk of the Boogie products?? I think its great, Boogie makes some awesome products and evryone should try one somewhere along the way!! I myself personally am going back to the Mesa stuff, I just miss that great punch :boxer (miss my Tremoverb!!) Just bought an Express and next looks like a Roadster! Anyone else getting ready to take the plunge??

2. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

I was at a show friday night and the guitarist had an old Mark IV, and it sounded really great. I forgot how good those little amps sounded.

I've gas'ed for years now for a studio preamp and 50/50 power amp setup. I played through a friends years ago and thought it sounded great.

I had a tremoverb and a dual recto a few years back though, and neither of those amps were so great for me. They did what they did well, but there was no *magic* to them.

3. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

Hi...I'm Boon, and I play a Mesa Boogie.

I think the Gear Page has twelve step program for this.

4. photios

photios Member

I bought a TriAxis with a 2:90 last month only becuase the price was so cheap and I figured I could flip the gear and make a little money, but it turns out the TA and 2:90 are so cool and tones so good that I used that new rig at both gigs this w/e...I hate to admit I own and like my MESA cause I'm a gear snob, but it is what it is...great gear, great tone, with lots of user friendly features and options built in that are uber-convenient for the live player. It hasnt unseated my ENGL E580 from the #1 spot, but its got its own cool vibe and I'm glad to own it as my back up rig.

[​IMG]

5. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I think there is a whole area of the Mesa line that is very TGP friendly - the Mark series, the Lonestar, and a scattering of others that escape me at the moment . . . I think there is some turn-0ff due to the high-gain attitude which brings in a whole slew of knuckle scraped dude-ism, brings in the wankers to the Guitar Center and just inspires negativity mongst the Bootyquee-crowd.

6. photios

photios Member

Great point...and this was really my attitude towards MESA prior to my TA...I had no idea it could excel at doing low gain tone with such tremendous punch and authority...its does the cleanish crunch (ala HIWATT) with great snap and crispness.

7. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

been a boogie guy since the late 70's!

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Mark IV owner here. Waiting on the mark V to come out.

I still think Boogies get a bad rap on here, but that doesn't bother me, just the nature of this forum....

9. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I've been a die hard Boogie user for 18 years. I ran a studio pre in a rack set up for 15 years but decided to ditch the rack and go with a MKIV combo a few years back in an effort to simplify my rig.

Scott

10. scottpic

scottpic Member

I asked a local tech recently his opinion about MESA's in general.
    Since he has to fix them, he ought to know.

He said the are good amps, but the one pitfall is their tubes SUCK!!!

He said he would not hesitate in buying a new Mesa (5 year warranty)
    BUT the first thing would be to replace the crappy tubes they comes with.

11. jrkoosh

jrkoosh Silver Supporting Member

LSS owner here - my only amp. Chock full of NOS tubes. I use a bunch of effects for OD, but for clean, its strat>LSS

12. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

The Lonestar with a Suhr Classic T in the Mesa store in Cali was a really great fat clean - yep, a Texas twang. Good stuff.

13. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

What's the deal with the mark 5? Anyone got any info?

14. StaticRoute

StaticRoute Member

I recently bought a Stiletto Ace combo based on suggestions from members here and I really love it.

15. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

Hmmm....been a long time Mesa user and have always heard this...but in my experience, I've always found the Mesa amps to sound better with the original tubes. I've bought into this myth and wasted all kinds of $$$ trying the other so called Boutique tubes (aka NOS, etc) and found that there wasn't that much difference in tone and many times the stock tubes sounded better.

In fact the Mesa STR 415s and 420s are some of the most highly sought after tubes, especially the 415s...seems that once they're out of circulation everyone then realizes how great the tubes were:huh

16. scottpic

scottpic Member

How's your back. Do you play out with it?
    My local store had the 2X12.
    I tried to lift it (wanting to buy it) but I couldnt carry it 5 feet!

So I'm still looking.

17. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

:rotflmao Yeah, with Mesa's you've got to hit the gym first before hand.

18. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

I'm loving my Express! Just a super versatile combo. I don't know of any sonic territory it can't cover.

19. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Man what a stupid thread, Mesa never left, always been known as making great amps, and a lot of us TGPer own or have owned and know they are great amps, seen some trolls trying to knock mesa's but anyone who believed should stick with their solid state amps.

Own a Mark IV, looking forward to the Mark V at the end of the year, should be a killer amp,

GAS :p

20. KRosser

KRosser Member

An early 90's Mark I Reissue was my main amp for almost 15 years - versatile and built to withstand full scale nuclear war. After 15 years though I was ready for something different though.

You know what was a really undersung amp of theirs that I had for a little while? The Blue Angel...I thought those things sounded great, especially the 2x10 or 4x10 combos...