• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

MESA Boogie King Snake

GasMask

I've been wanting to hear that amp clean. Sounds fantastic! I wonder if this is the best clean tone out of Mesa today? Quite possibly I think.
Nice playing too!

les_paul

According to Randall Smith, this is everything the Mark I could/should have been, with his 40 years of experience since the original one.
No offense, but why would he even say that? The Mark I is a classic amplifier. How can you say 'this is what a classic should have sounded like?'

I've actually been looking for a Mark I recently and even the reissues don't come up for sale a whole lot.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Beautiful sound & great playing Galo …
That amp really, really suits your style …

bobotwt

Silver Supporting Member
Since this is supposed to be an exact recreation of Carlos' Mark I, is it possible then to tweak a Mark I Reissue to get those clean tones or at least really close?

Josh

MESA/Boogie

Hi Josh,

The King Snake is a recreation of Carlos' Snakeskin amp - which is the very earliest of Boogie amps, and quite a bit different than the later Mark I's. Thanks!

mcuguitar

I'd like to get a bit more details on this amp. Is it handwired? Are the transformers as huge/monstrous as on the original Mark 1's? Can we get a gut shot from the Mesa guys? I've owned about 6 different Boogies in my life, but gave up on them after my Mark 3 and then Studio Preamp. I just was never psyched about their clean tones. The King Snake seems to have the goods. But at this price, I want to see the quality from inside out. So how about it Mesa? Gut shots and more exact details on how close this is to an original Mark 1. Thanks, Jon.

MESA/Boogie

I'd like to get a bit more details on this amp. Is it handwired? Are the transformers as huge/monstrous as on the original Mark 1's? Can we get a gut shot from the Mesa guys? I've owned about 6 different Boogies in my life, but gave up on them after my Mark 3 and then Studio Preamp. I just was never psyched about their clean tones. The King Snake seems to have the goods. But at this price, I want to see the quality from inside out. So how about it Mesa? Gut shots and more exact details on how close this is to an original Mark 1. Thanks, Jon.
Like all of our amps (back to the original MK1's), we use the highest quality 2 sided through-hole PCB, with hand-wired flying leads. The King Snake is an exact re-creation of Carlos' first Snakeskin Boogie amp (Input 2) and the later Mark 1 cascading-gain preamp (Input 1).

Randy then topped it off with a few modern additions - such as the multi-watt settings, mid-gain control, and switchable tweed/blackface presence control.

Clean tones can be heard, here: http://youtu.be/Lp9RPEjgvcM?list=UUyheCvi8Msep7IfESwI7ueA

I believe there are gut shots in one of the magazine reviews...let me see if I can dig it up. Thanks!

Top Bottom