1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mesa Boogie Mark I

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ed Reed, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I just bought an original 77 Mk1 with an Altec speaker. It looks like it was in a time warp. It's been in a road case for years.

This will be my first but I've been wanting one since the first Boogie I heard in 1977.

Anyway, are there any Mk 1 users here? Tell me about yours.

2. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

If that's the one that just sold on ebay it's the same as mine. HunRev 60/100 with EQ. I've got an old JBL D120 in mine. I had a couple when they first came out and used them for years. I just started buying these things up again a few years ago and love them. Great, twin like cleans and very adjustable OD tones. They are an aquired taste for sure but I love them. If they weren't so darn heavy....

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

One in the same. I hope I didn't get skint too bad.

Is skint a word? ;)

4. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

That one went for pretty good money but it's in great shape and you got the box too. One things for sure, they ain't getting any cheaper.

5. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

The fact it was so clean is why I went as far as I did (and the box). It will go in my collection and will get gigged some too. The Mk I is the only Boogie I care to have. I've had a Mk III and a Mk IV and they were nice but I sold them and switched to Dr Z, BF Fenders and Vox amps with pedals.

The Mk I to me is a piece of history.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have a MKI as well. Mine has the EVM12L in it. A little tricky to set up but does have some great sounds. You should post a picture if you can. :D

[​IMG]

7. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've been playing the Mark 1 Reissue w/Celestion Black Shadow since '92. Does that count?

8. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

9. monacosis

monacosis Member

i've been playing this head since the early 80s. a many amps as i have had, i always come back to this one. kind of weird options: no loop, no presence control, but it sounds SO good.

[​IMG]

GREAT amp.

mike

10. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Man, I haven't seen a space echo in a long time. We used to use one on our PA back in 77. I should have kept it. Along with all those nice old strats, marshalls, sg's.......etc. etc.

11. KRosser

KRosser Member

The reissue head has a presence control and effects loop with level control...very handy

I don't know if the reissue is different in this regard to the original, but I think the interactivity of the tone controls is pretty cool (i.e., the way you set one affects the others), as well as the cascading pre-amp inputs, half-power & tweed options. There's really a lot to work with here for a fairly simple one-channel amp.

It's the only Mesa I've ever totally flipped over, and though I did own and somewhat like aspects of the Studio 22 and Blue Angel they didn't stick around.

Right now I'm on my honeymoon with my new VHT Pitbull 45 though. Awesome amp, and in a totally different tonal ballpark than the Mesa Mk1, which is cool.

12. LaXu

LaXu Member

How does the Mk1 compare to the Lonestar for example, tonewise?

13. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

14. OOG

OOG Member

Mark 1's had a wide tonal variation just like lots of other amps of the same model
    must have been the cabint wood
    or something

15. HHB

HHB Member

LOVE my MKI reissue head, it's a total road beast that always comes on sounding great, I usually run it clean but it saved my ass when I opened for the Yellowjackets and forgot my pedalboard! I think much like a plexi, people expect some kind of giant high gain tone, uh, not really

16. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

So, what are your favorite settings?