Mesa/Boogie Mark III Why Doesn't it Get Much Love on TGP?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nickstrtcstr, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

There is another thread comparing the Kingsnake, The Mark I and the Mark IIC+ to see which one is the best Boogie. I posed the question as to why the Mark III doesn't seem to get any respect around these parts. I wonder why that is? FWIW, I have a Mark III Blue Stripe Simul-class combo with the graphic EQ and loaded with the EV 12L. I fought with that amp big time. Once I removed all the Chinese 12 AX7's, put my cocktail of pre-amp tubes and put Wing "C" 6L6's and EL 34's in it, the amp really smokes.

My neighbor has a Mark III Blue Stripe Simul Class long head with graphic EQ with a Mesa 4X12 cab with Celestions and EV's in it. He had the same issues. I am wondering if the Chinese tubes really ruined the street cred of the Mark III's with the TGP crowd. What say you?

2. somedude

somedude Member

IMO, the Mark III used to get more coverage prior to the Mark V being released. There used to be more conversation on how well the early stripes did the IIC+ thing, and many considered it a viable alternative that was available for a fraction of the cost. There was also some discussion on how well the later stripes did the IV thing, and some considered it a viable alternative for a fraction of the cost.

Once the Mark V was release the constant comparisons of the IIC+ and IV modes seemed to reignight interest in those two amps and the III dropped right off the radar.

Nickstrtcstr likes this.
  3. Nickstrtcstr

That sounds plausible. This thread is a great example of the lack of interest. It has been up for close to 4 hours and there are only two comments. Since I am the OP, technically there is only one person outside of myself that is interested.

4. rippingrudy

rippingrudy Member

Probably because most of TGP use 5 watt amps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

songtalk, jpage, Guitarshreda and 3 others like this.
  5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

The MKIII kicks ass.

I'd never trade my III for anything, including a MK IV or V. It covers the grounds of the earlier MK-series Mesa's, plus has a crunch channel that sounds great at higher volumes, especially with a TS9 in front.

A lot of people love MK III's, but its just not new and hyped, or prohibitively expensive to be niche. The fact that you can get one for $800-1200 is insane - nothing else cuts through a band mix as well, and its far cheaper than those D-Style amp clones.

songtalk and randall g like this.
  6. Captain Sco

Captain Sco Member

I'm glad the MkIII doesn't get talked about too much. It will allow all of us to buy 1 or 2 more of them in the next decade. LMAO

I also own a blue stripe, but the owner sold it to me with a V30 and I wasn't going to pay 300+ more to change speakers. The V30 is broken in and sounds pretty good when I also use a 3/4 closed back with C90s. Love the MKIII a lot!

songtalk and Prs9350 like this.
  7. somedude

somedude Member

I had a simul-class red stripe with EVM-12L, reverb and GEQ. I loved the amp but hated carrying it and disliked the 12L. Carrying around a heavy ass combo when I plugged into a cab seemed idiotic so I sold it.

In hindsight I should've converted it to a head but I didn't know I could do that back then. Dumb...:(

songtalk and Dr.Lee like this.
  8. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

Well, I just bought my first Mesa from the Emporium. Mark III Purple stripe . . . It's en route to me now, so I don't have anything to add about how good or bad they are, but I'm stoked to find out. I'm sure the Mark III is a great amp but it's been around 30 years at this point. I guess people have been there and done that.

9. hvactech

hvactech Member

Isn't trey anastasio a big fan of these amps? I forget which model, but that guy has killer tones!!

songtalk likes this.
  10. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

He is and he does have great tone. He says he got his in '85 or '86 which makes it a purple stripe, but lots of Internet sites claim he uses red stripe simul-class with all 6L6 tubes. So who knows. But while I love his tone, I don't think it's the classic Boogie tone necessarily.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  11. bettset

bettset Member

mine's a blue stripe mk3 100/60 hardwood with an altec in it. i had a black stripe simul class that was a good amp, but was just a bit thin for me. i like 100 watt amps.....more fullness. the blue stripes are supposed to be a bit more brighter than the other mk3's. the altec in mine may tame that some. it's a 1x12. when i run it with a 2x12 it's an entirely different amp :munch

12. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Member

Mark IIIs kick butt. Trey does get some good tones out of his.

songtalk likes this.
  13. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Yeah, great 80's amp
    Very temperamental
    Loved mine

Have a beautiful Mrk. I now
    No comparison
    Classic Boogie

:phones

songtalk and rummy like this.
  14. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

I used my Mark III at a couple of rehearsals this week. Cleans sounded great, but I'm having trouble dialing in the lead sound.

I'm debating whether I should give up on the amp's built-in gain and just stick a gain pedal out front.

songtalk likes this.
  15. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

A strat in bridge/middle and a hot Mk III clean tone is a thing to die for. Very good electric sound for full on chord rhythm IMO.

Witness Martin Rotsey...

16. mojo joe joe

mojo joe joe Member

I've had my mark 3 red stripe since 1987. Its a simul class combo with EQ/EV. Heavy, but a great amp.

songtalk likes this.
  17. Daverij

Daverij Member

great sound!

18. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

When warming up a MKIII blue, my Son exclaimed when I first turned it on, " that thing has a fan"? "It's like a PC"........, funny.

songtalk likes this.
  19. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

I had two Mark III's. An 1986 loaded red stripe 100 watt combo w/EV. Loved the lead tones from that one but not so much for rhythm. I preferred my JCM 800 for rhythm.

Then I had the same platform but a purple stripe. The clean channel and reverb was the most Fender like I heard from a Boogie. I wish I'd kept that one.

Much respect for the MK III's.

neu18 likes this.
  20. Nickstrtcstr

That is one of the details that Boogie does that I love. Randall and Mike showed lots of foresight. That fan really keeps the amp cool. I also have a Marhall 30th Anniversary 1X12 combo. I installed a fan in that unit. There is a lot of glass in that amp and it could get very hot very quickly. Marshall never thought to put a fan in, it which showed lack of foresight.

My neighbor has among other amps, a GT Solo 75. They offered an aftermarket fan that screws to the back of the amp but, it was not OEM like the Boogie. Both Mark III heads and combos are built with the controls on top and the tubes on the bottom with the map secured to the top of the cabinet. With the Marshall, in the head version the tubes are on top and the controls are on the bottom. It is set inside a big cabinet that passively ventilates. So, I guess the idea never came to them to put a fan in the combo version.