Mesa Boogie Mark IV vs Mark V

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by theaxedoctor, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Xyrium

Xyrium Member

1. V
    2. More flexible, just as easy to get a great lead metal tone, and still under warranty...
    3. Metal, Fusion, Rock

This said, I've never owned a IV, just spent a few gigs, years ago, with a friend's. I did love that head, and it was that period of exposure to the IV that made me by the V.

You really can't go far wrong with either of them IMHO.

2. dannymusic

dannymusic Member

honestly, doing a blind test, you'de be hard pressed to tell the difference. They are both great, versatile amps with signature lead channels. I'de be happy with either

3. megaboogie

megaboogie Member

I sold my '91 Mark IVa head last year and got a '12 V head about few weeks ago.
    Other than IV's lead channel, V excels in everything, not saying V doesn't have great a lead channel, it still sounds amazing. IV lead channel has more raw quality I miss, but V can get so many more useable tones with different modes each channels, whereas with IV I only used the lead channel.

4. HBob

HBob Member

Looks like the guys in Lamb of God are still using their Mark IVs, even after being given Mark V amps.

5. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I would think that if you already own a IV, you're probably not going to give it up for a V,they are too similar in they're goodness.

6. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

So Petrucci doesn't really like the V better?
    I agree, his extensive touring experience does not give him enough credibility. Personal preference is of course not part of the equation.

I suspect that what he really wants is some sort of fender amp with a telecaster so that he can play blues or jazz. Oh wait... He plays with so much gain because he doesn't have the chops...

7. Mr. K Dilkington

Mr. K Dilkington Member

I've had my Mark IV for over 20 years. Amazing amp. Nothing but compliments on my tone over the years.

I've had the Mark V for only a week, but it is an astonishing amp.

1. I think I'd go with the V, even though I have a huge sentimental spot for my Mark IV.

2. The "Mark 1" mode on channel 2. Wow. The one weakness of the Mark IV for me was always channel 2. I play Strats, and I never got a great sound from ch 2. Maybe some of it was down to my low output pickups? But on the Mark V, ch 2 absolutely sings in that Larry Carlton on The Royal Scam sort of way. Creamy and beautiful, and the sound I've always strived for.

3. funk, jazz, fusion, rock, etc.

8. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I have a Mark V, never played a Mark IV......

I play in "my" band and then fill in for a couple other bands. Most of these would be considered country.... Ranging from "classic Outlaw" to new top-40 with a LOT of rock (80s hair metal to Nickleback).

I could probably play in all 3 bands with only my amp, a Tubescreamer and a wah pedal (to hide my slop) ;) The Mark V is that versatile and sounds that good.

I will say that the Mark IV mode on ch3 has more gain than the new Extreme mode has.

9. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I have played a bunch of Boogies, but never a Mark IV.

Love the MarkV, other than cost, weight, complexity, size, I can't think of anything it can't do great.

10. lumpyadams

lumpyadams Senior Member

Mark V is a stellar amp.

11. lumpyadams

lumpyadams Senior Member

Did you try using the Mark 1 mode of channel 2 as a lead and then use channel 3 as a crunch?

I used to favor the Extreme mode of channel 3 for ultimate distortion/leads, but recently have fallen in love with the Mark ll mode of channel 3.