Mesa/Boogie Mark IV??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BrentSP, Oct 18, 2005.

1. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

I used to own one and really liked it but as GAS goes I sold it to fund another amp. That was serveral years ago. I recently snatched up another Mark IV........should be here tomorrow. This one is a early 90s Long head. I also had a Mark III. Anyways whats everyones opinion on the IV?

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Most people on here don't like them. Only a few have owned them.

I like mine but it is too heavy for my aging back (+95lbs with Hardwood).
    They are Boogies and sound like Boogies - keep the Bass control below 4 and use the graphic instead. Be careful of too much Prescence!

They're quality amps and the back up from Mesa is second to none.

Best, Pete.

3. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

Although I have acquired other amps over the past few years, I played Boogies since the mid 70's. I still have a Mark IV which will always have a place in my arsenal. It isn't my first call amp, but it has served me well, and I could feel good gigging with it if I needed or wanted to. Hope you enjoy yours.

4. MattB

MattB Member

I love mine. I have a IV and a III. The IV is a short head and I run it through an Avatar 2X12.

It is fantastic. Last show I played, everyone was complementing my tone after the show. I love it and until I find something that I like better, it will be num #1. The only gripe I have is there are too many tonal options and too many controls. You have to be patient to really find the perfect tone.

-MattB

5. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i like the MK III for metal, but I wasn't too crazy about the mk IV widebody combo I had. Maybe I would've liked it more with a seperate 2x12 cab. I'll probably buy another MKIII head someday.

6. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

I've played the IV combo and wasn't impressed at all. Once I connected it to a 412 it was great.

7. mangley

mangley Member

Mark IV Short Head thru a 4x12 rectifier cab sounds awesome. I also run it through a pair of 1x12 mesa thiele cabs which also sound very good. It is a versitile amp, once you get the hang of the various options and their interactions, dialing in the sounds you need is not a problem. There is a learning curve, but it is worth it.

8. Badger71

Badger71 Member

Excellent choice as far as amps are concerned....a classic that should get the respect that it deserves.:)

9. concrt

concrt Member

I'd also send out some love for the Mark IV. :dude

To me it's the most versitile amp out there. The learning curve is a bit steep, as you CAN make this amp sound bad. Of course, if ya' learn to work it, you also can make the amp sing.

It's one of those things, if you like to have options with your sound, it's a great choice.

Rick.

10. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

You guys find any difference in the early and late Mark IVs? I used to have a 2001 medium head Mark IV but I've been playing around with this early 90s IV and this one really sounds better. Maybe my tone memory is bad but I swear this one has a bit more mojo. Here she is

[​IMG]

11. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Hey Brent,

In general, I've always liked the MkIII's better than the MkIV's. However, I put my MkIII side by side to your MkIV (it was J.B.'s right?) and that particular amp does have a great sound. A lot better than I remembered them to have.

It's interesting, though, I've tried out dozens of different Mk series amps and they all seem to have varying amounts of mojo. Some are definitely better than others, however, for these amps, I don't think a particular year of manufacture has much to do with it.

J

12. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Yeah it was JBs. I used to own one of the first runs of the Mark IIIs. It was considered a black stripe I believe. This amp sounds closer to that III I had. Wanna sell your Boogie half back cab? :D ;)

13. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

LOL! J.B. has been working on me for that since he first heard it. NO WAY!!:D

14. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

:D

EVs and C90s?

15. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

I ordered it straight from Boogie with all C90's and a removable upper back. It sounds amazing. I like to run it in combination with my rear loaded Diezel cab. You get the best of both worlds.

16. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

I need to check my trannies on my IV :(

Look at the beefy trannies on the first three pics.

Mark IIC+

[​IMG]

Mark III Coliseum

[​IMG]

Mark III Red

[​IMG]

Heres what mine look like. There a little smaller in size.

Mark IV

[​IMG]

Mark III blue

[​IMG]

Mark III

[​IMG]

This is a new production 2004 Mark IV. Notice the even smaller tranny.

[​IMG]