Mesa Boogie Mark V Combo Reverb problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cem, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Cem

Cem Member

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my Mark V combo. Reverb stopped working efficiently.

It happened before, 3-4 months ago, It stopped working totally. Then I opened up the reverb tank, unplugged-replugged the black cable to the tank and chassis and tried again: it worked.

But this time, even I did the same, when I set the reverb for %100, it works like %15 or something like that, it's so subtle instead of being wet. (It's not that I want it to work at %100 mix, it's like, not working :s)

PS: Tried with/without footswitch, variac/full, guitar direct to amp and other things.

What shall I do? I'm not living in USA we don't have authorised Mesa techs here. (Means I can't call mesa etc )

2. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

Have you tried swapping preamp tubes. The reverb shares preamp tubes v4 and v5 with channel 3. Each of those tubes uses 1/2 for the reverb. Perhaps one of them is going bad?

3. Cem

Cem Member

I can't do such a thing on my own but, I forgot to mention:

The reverb went totally off, it didn't work, so I removed the reverb tank and connected it again,

Then it started to work with %15-20 instead of %100. At first it wasn't working. that might be important.

4. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

The reverb on my (early production) Mark V went and I had it repaired under warranty. The tech told me it was a known issue with a JFET on the reverb circuit. Mesa amps have a five year warranty; I suggest you call Mesa and ask what can be done. At the very least, they may have some suggestions as to the cause, and would be able to provide or identify the required parts for an appropriate fix.