• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Mesa Boogie may just be the best amp company around

I think the Fillmore aint selling and they need a booster, hence the video. The 50 watt version is great i can attest to it. I want one but im leery that Mesa will release a 100 watt or a Fillmore 2.0 version this year. Thats how they roll with some of their models. Bad business imo to release the fillmore 25 out of the blue just 2 months after the release of the 50 watt version.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
"The Fender of our dreams." aptly stated.

The Fillmore combo is the only Mesa I thought sounded great with the C90 speaker. And it's the only one that won't give you a double hernia.
I have two C90s, Black Shadow speakers, each in a 1x12 cab, one closed back and the other open back, one came from my Mesa MK1 RI amp which got swapped with an EVM12L, and I decided I was going to keep the Black Shadows and find good use for them, I actually enjoy them, last amp I used was a Headstrong Brown face deluxe amp head (Corduroy) that bonded nicely with the C90, so similarly I try other amps. At 90w in a 1x12 cab and you can get lots of various amps to mate nicely. The tight and controlled low end of this speaker with aggressive mid range attack and a singing top end find applications on many fronts. I saved my C90 and am glad. It’s my 1x12 go to speaker/cab.

DiPa

Constant GAS
I think the Fillmore aint selling and they need a booster, hence the video. The 50 watt version is great i can attest to it. I want one but im leery that Mesa will release a 100 watt or a Fillmore 2.0 version this year. Thats how they roll with some of their models. Bad business imo to release the fillmore 25 out of the blue just 2 months after the release of the 50 watt version.
Mesa is King at updating and refining and releasing new products, Randall spends a lot of time on this and you may be right about a 2.0 although it will most likely be called something else. I too dig all the clips of this Filmore version and am curious to see what will come out next. I was tempted but decided to hold off.

jujube

Mesa is King at updating and refining and releasing new products, Randall spends a lot of time on this and you may be right about a 2.0 although it will most likely be called something else. I too dig all the clips of this Filmore version and am curious to see what will come out next. I was tempted but decided to hold off.
Very iterative approach to product development. Maverick morphed into the Lonestar Special and the Heartbreaker became the Lonestar Classic.

If a 100 watt version comes out, I might be tempted.

Last edited:

philiprst

Silver Supporting Member
My first Mesa was a Subway Rocket. Since then I have owned the Roadster, Road King, Mark IV, Mark V and JP2C (not all at the same time). I owned my Mark IV for about 15 years before I replaced it with the Mark V. Mark IV was a great amp and very sophisticated when it was originally produced.What really impressed me was that the Mark V fixed every issue I had with the Mark IV. I understand that some people just don't like the Mesa sound or have been tempted by the trend towards vintage style hand-wiring, turret boards and attractive "gut shots". But Mesas remain great sounding bullet-proof amps that are extremely flexible if you need a variety of tones.

DiPa

Constant GAS
My first Mesa was a Subway Rocket. Since then I have owned the Roadster, Road King, Mark IV, Mark V and JP2C (not all at the same time). I owned my Mark IV for about 15 years before I replaced it with the Mark V. Mark IV was a great amp and very sophisticated when it was originally produced.What really impressed me was that the Mark V fixed every issue I had with the Mark IV. I understand that some people just don't like the Mesa sound or have been tempted by the trend towards vintage style hand-wiring, turret boards and attractive "gut shots". But Mesas remain great sounding bullet-proof amps that are extremely flexible if you need a variety of tones.
I saw somewhere where the speaker talked about how Mesa crames so many features in their amps and that would be a difficult task to build them on a turret board, so PCB works and this is how they can keep the platform small size. Every time I look inside one of their amps, I am in awe.

Loudguitar

The Electra dyne really is an interesting amplifier concept. Single channel with Three modes. I'd love one except for the 100 watts of power.
It's actually 90 watts, but I get your point. I never play mine at 90 watts. It's always on the 45 watt setting.

tbonesullivan

It's actually 90 watts, but I get your point. I never play mine at 90 watts. It's always on the 45 watt setting.
AH! I forgot it was a Simul-class amplifier. I don't yet have one of those, but I've got my sights on a Mark V. Just trying to decide whether I want a head or a combo. Something about Mesa Boogie and "mark" just makes me imagine a combo though. Hrm.

arayadis

I have a Mesa Mark V and I never satisfied when I bought some musical equipment. Great covers for the amp, signatures of the people who make the quality checks...
Just great company.

DiPa

Constant GAS
I already own a Stiletto ACE 1x12, a Maverick 2x12, and a Tremoverb 2x12, which tips the scales at around 100lbs. 65lbs isn't super scary, Not much more than my DC-5.
I haven’t held back purchasing an amp due to weight, but yeah it’s a metric that’s getting more important these times as folk are getting older...

tbonesullivan

I haven’t held back purchasing an amp due to weight, but yeah it’s a metric that’s getting more important these times as folk are getting older...
Yeah... this is true. My main issue is that it seems just about every amp I have sounds best with a different speaker in it. This way I can always have the best sound. When I play out with friends or gigging, I usually bring a Carvin V3M micro head or my DC-5. If I rolled in with a Tremoverb head and a 2x12 cab I'd probably get the evil eye.

scelerat

Gold Supporting Member
Right now I rotate between a Mark I and a couple of Mark IIs. Cleans are great, and can do a very convincing "Fender with balls" thing, on up to that "edge of breakup clean" that so many seem to strive for, and well into the "saturated singing overdrive" territory.

For my own personal purposes, if I didn't have the Mesas, i'd either be using a Super Reverb or a Dr. Z Route 66.

I saw a couple of comments about "muddy" or "powdery," and at least with the classics, either there's something wrong with your amp, or you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
Last time I was at a certain south austin guitar center I saw a battered old TransAtlantic 30. I loved the art deco styling, reminded me of an old jukebox or 1930's era radio. I could hear FDR telling me that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

It was crowded and the amp was behind the counter, Like a victim drawn to a vampyre I wanted to try it but I made it out credit card inviolate; for the moment. I have no room for yet another amp; besides, I have a Mark V, JP-2C, Vox AC30 and a Mini Dirty Shirley so I probably have the bases covered, or do I?

This ghost from the past haunts me to this day.

Jimmy_Rage

I just got a Mesa Boogie Mark.V:25 today after fretting for some time over selling the first one I had.

Amazing amp, and so compact. It really got me thinking about getting one of the Mini Rectifiers even though I already have a Tri Rec.

I’m pairing it with a Fryette Power Station so that I can boost it to 50 watts for larger venues.

Trending Topics