Mesa Boogie may just be the best amp company around

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Buck Woodson, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

In the early '80's I bought a new Mark IIB 60 watt head...no eq, no verb. Just the plainest version. I loved that amp and it great service all thru the 80's, and I wish I had it back for recording.

Mesa experts....did they ever make an amp that could really nail classic Marshall convincingly? I mean, nail the Back In Black sound?

2. Metalflange

Metalflange Supporting Member

I play a Mesa Mark 2B amp and I love it! I have owned a MarkIV, MarkIII, Mark1, Studio 22,.50 caliber. All these amps are amazing but I ended on a Mark 2B for its cleans.

ROKY likes this.
  3. LockerRoomTalk

LockerRoomTalk Member

I look at Mesa like PRS. Their offerings are much better than the CURRENT products offered by the other mainstream amplifier companies (Fender/Marshall/Peavy), but old-timers (who make up the majority of this forum) will constantly complain because they aren't exact copies of the amps they grew up with.

Techs will also complain because they are difficult for them to mod/repair. I wish these guys would use their time to make handwired amplifiers with comparable features, rather than complaining about Mesa amplifiers in forums. If the tones justify the price tag, I just might sell my Mesas and buy your amp!

RMosack likes this.
  4. djw

djw Member

I'm a fan. In the last decade or so I've been able to acquire a bunch of them and I love them all. Currently possess all of these except for the first one:

Mark III
    Lone Star Classic
    Lone Star Special
    Electra Dyne
    Mini Rectifier
    TA15
    Mark Five 35

Waaaay more amp than I really need at this point in my playing life, but I enjoy playing them all. Just got the MkV35 recently and feel like I'm done buying amps, but I could see graduating up to the MkV....

TubeStack and ROKY like this.
  5. JKAinsworth

JKAinsworth Silver Supporting Member

I've had Mesa stuff for years and not only is the sound good, but the ones I've owned: MK I, MK IV, Lonestar, MK V, Stiletto Ace are built like tanks. I've had heads fall off speaker cabs, fall out of the back of a pickup truck, and one fall down a flight of stars. In the MK IV (the amp to fall down a flight of stairs), I had to replace one tube. Not too bad for the shabby treatment they got.

DV52 likes this.
  6. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

My 2x12 Maverick combo landed on me after I fell down a small flight of stairs trying to carry it.

Wayyy too heavy just to move a couple pounds of air.

7. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

1. Incredible pedigree. Along with a few others, established the whole boutique market. An American success story.

2. They continue to innovate. I love my Matchless C-30 and Matchless in general, but they (Matchless) have pretty much stood pat in terms of new products. Mesa continues to innovate and develop new products.

3. I still think of the Rectifier amps as the kings of the metal market- but I could be wrong.

4. The big bottle Mark amps define the multi channel amplifier, and the smaller ones (the 25, etc.) have done a lot to supplement that legend.

5. 5 year transferable warranty. Hard to argue with that.

6. Broad range- metal to classic rock to blues to whatever.

7. I've had a Road King, Mark IV, LSC, and LSS. Still have the LSS but the others did exactly what I expected from them. Even money I'll wind up with a Fillmore or the California Tweed someday soon- and that might be it. Although I sure get an itch for a Mark V every time I see one.

8. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Member

Where is "Thread Tools"?

9. mertay

mertay Member

+1, both sound flat :p

10. John Vasco

John Vasco Member

Gigging 50 years, and it's the best amp I've ever played through.

Mesa Boogie F-50 Limited Edition
    [​IMG]

Weighs a bloody ton, though! :(

Wolfboy1 and Big'Uns like this.
  11. fusgtr

fusgtr Member

"Mesa Boogie IS the best amp company around" (...fixed :D )

Big fan, I've owned more than 12 and still have a couple of them as my main amps.
    Lonestar Classic is my last stop and i love it... I still have my old DC-5...great amp.
    Always looking for an old MK but to me, the shared EQ is a drawback for gigs. Classic Boogie sound, though.

I want them all...:p

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Buck Woodson likes this.
  12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you're going back 30 years, you are definitely wrong. The Hot Rod series have become, de facto, the backline for many stages and clubs. The Blues Jr and Pro Jr are the answer to "what small amp should I buy" in many TGP threads. The VibroKing, while heavy and expensive, is a Fender but one that has a sound all its own. Their solid state stuff is, well, solid and a 165 watt, 112 combo could be the only amp you need to gig if you're on a budget. Yeah, they make a big deal out of the BF and tweed reissues, but they're only part of what they're making. Does Mesa produce MORE different takes on their heritage? Yes, because they tend to discontinue the old stuff. If you could buy a brand new Mk III for 1/2 the price of a JP2C or Mk V with all the bells and whistles, I bet you would!

13. 3940bigdaddy

3940bigdaddy Supporting Member

Hi quality product. Built like a tank. Excellent customer support. I had a Roadking 1 and a F100 before I switch to Bogner's.

14. Aaron Mayo

Aaron Mayo Member

Great customer service and warranty when I had a problem with my express.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  15. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

The Stiletto was the one that had some Krang Marshall’s have (ball park).
    Older Marks with GEQ (parking lot of ball park)

Terry McInturff likes this.
  16. MesaManV

MesaManV Member

I've got 3 Mesa's currently:

Mark V35
    Rect-O-Verb Combo
    Mini Rectifier Head

Along with...

1x12 Widebody Cabinet
    Rectifier 2x12 Vertical Cabinet

Couldn't be happier with the quality and the tone. Excellent customer service as well!

Alan Dunn likes this.
  17. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

I have a 100W Roadster head and it is hands down the best amp I have ever owned...until my Soldano Avenger gets delivered tomorrow and gives it a run for it's money.

18. somedude

somedude Member

Mesa?

Never heard of them.

19. LockerRoomTalk

LockerRoomTalk Member

I'll bet everything sounds flat after 40 years of hearing loss! ;)

20. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I’ve had a Mark V head and 3/4 back cab with a C90 for about 10 years now. It’s been an amazing amp. I will admit it’s not the one I reach for when I’m heading out to a gig (which are typically blues gigs LOL) but it’s got a huge variety of tones and is extremely well thought out and executed.

The clean channel is on par with my BF Vibrolux, the Crunch mode can get me a lot of the drier rock tones I love from the 80’s, as well as doing a great lower gain tone. Mark IIc mode may not be 100%, but it’s a great enough lead tone I don’t care.

The only other amp that is close for me (and currently has my playing time) is a Bogner Shiva 20th with KT88’s.