MESA BOOGIE MK 3 Triode to Pentode Mod ?

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
So I see that the final versions of the Mesa/Boogie Mk 3 amps ran the outer tubes (EL34) in Pentode mode as opposed to Triode mode. This ups the output another 10 watts to 85watts instead of the normal 75 watts. Is this a mod that is easy to make to the earlier Mk 3 amps or does it involve different transformers,ect? Thanks!

mrwhipple

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe call boogie. They're usually pretty quick to respond.

Last edited:

reade

I remember that being Simuclass. Doing a search I find this.

The Mark III went through multiple revisions, similar to the Mark II. Each revision had a slightly different voicing, but identical functionality. Non-Simulclass versions of the Mark III came in either 60w RMS with two 6L6's or 60w/100w with four 6L6's in the power section. All Mark III's contain five 12AX7 tubes in the pre-amp section, including reverb as well. Simul-class Mark III's usually contain two 6L6's in the inner sockets and two EL34's in the outer sockets for 15w/75w use.

Last edited:

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Yes I found it on Wikipedia and it said that the final Mark 3 's (Green Stripe version) ran the outer tubes(EL34's) in Pentode mode instead of the previous Triode mode. And this resulted in a 10 more watts of power up to 85watts. Aside from making the tube connections from Triode to Pentode, does it require any other mods. Like a larger transformer upgrade?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom