Mesa Boogie MK IIC+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Barrie, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Barrie

Barrie Member

I've heard these are the probably one of the best amps made, but they are a devil to find and are quite expensive. Is there anlternative maker?
    Barrie

2. MikeS

MikeS Member

I had one. It was a b*tch to work on, didn't sound all that great, and was heavy as can be in the hard wood cab. They're not made any better than any other Boogie around that same age. Don't let the hype fool you if you haven't played one. Try before you buy.

For what it's worth (probably not much) I didn't think it sounded any better than the MKIII I had, and those can be had cheaper. A MkIII with some nice tubes will get you into the same ballpark.

3. e-z

e-z Member

I have a MkII B and it sounds great

4. lhallam

lhallam Member

I've got a 1977-78(?) Mesa Boogie combo that was modded ca. 1980 when I sent it to Mesa for repairs.

It originally had the fetron which they took out, I don't know what else they did to it. It doesn't have the EQ that many Mark iiC have.

It's got the 60/100 watt switch and 3 spring reverb.

It has severed me well over the years but may be willing to part with it if you're interested. I've still got the original paperwork so I can look up the particulars.

5. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

A loaded MKIIC+ is a great amp. I wouldn't have one without the EQ and Rev though. You could save a bunch of money and get a loaded MKIII though. It is 95% of the tone of a MKIIC+. They can be set to sound almost identical. The C+ will be just a bit smoother though which may or may not be what you want.

6. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

They ARE one of the finest amps out there!!! I've been using them for the last 5 years. If you are an accomplished player and have good dynamic technique it will sing like non-other. Right up there with Fuchs amps and all the other top-of-the-heap amps.

If you are a sloppy player who misses notes etc it will also bring that out so beware. Go to my website and you can hear the MK IIC+ in action on the "Wild Indians" cd.

www.garysmallband.com

I think the amp works best with HB guitars. If you are a strat player you may want to look else where. My main axe is a PRS Santana III. When I want to wank on my strat I go back to old Fenders.

Mesa didn't get it quite right with the II, IIb, and IIc and alot of players including myself gave up on them. But their last run "IIc+" got it right. The Mark III they tried to make into the swiss army knife of sounds and of course it didn't do half of what was touted.

I just sold a near mint one, not two weeks ago on ebay for $1100. I would not have sold it had I not needed the cash. I still have another one though. No I am not selling it!!!!!

Watch ebay, thats your best bet!

7. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

This sounds like the original Mk I which was a whole different animal altogether. Great amp in the right hands. Carlos sure did well with it for 20 some years.

8. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Also, I disagree that you need reverb and EQ. The reverb absolutely sucks on the Mark Series and the EQ adds a lovely transistor tone to an otherwise beautiful tube sound. I have had both and I used neither. There are enough options on the pull boost knobs to keep you tweaking for an eternity without the transistor EQ.

Which is another thing, the MkIIc+ is the only one of the Mk II series amps where the effects loop actually works. I usually run a outboard TC Electronics reverb (the cheap one) through the effect loop, on all the time.

9. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Yeah but that last 5% is always the bitch!!!

I had a Mk III on stage for awhile as my backup to my IIc+ amp. It never saw the light of sound. Raspy and gritty in comparision. And both are in near mint shape.

If you want to save money get yourself a Fender Twin, crank up the mid to 8 and use a Fulltone Dual Drive. Thats what I have to use when we occaionally fly to a gig and I can't bring my Boogies. That is also about 95% of the tone too.

Dammed that last 5%!!!!!!!!:D

10. Barrie

Barrie Member

Hi Guy's

Many thanks for your inputs I think this is the way to go, Gary what a great "Tone" very nice inspirational playing, I agree that you really need the EQ to add that extra bit of quality $1100 is a snip

Barrie

11. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

Great tone and playing on that stuff Gary.:dude

12. nateco

nateco Member

Put me in the "over rated" camp........I couldn't sell mine fast enough...not my thing.

13. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Hey thanks for the nice plug on my shameless self-promotion!!!

14. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

Bringing an old thread back to life hehe. Anyway, i have a IIC+ in hardwood with EQ and i never use it's reverb. Mine does not have simul-class. COmpared to a loaded IIC+ it sounds VERY close. Mine has less high end. When my presence is on 5 a loaded IIC+ would have presence on 0 and both amps sounded the same, we did have both in the same room. Anywat these amps kill. Many people give up on them because of the shared channel control of volume. But IMHO there is no better amp for lead playing. And yes, a good MarkIII can sound very close, but i think markIIIs are great as well. I can get lots of great tones, even a beleivable Eric Johnson type lead. If you don't think so please check my clips page.

15. 908SSP

908SSP Member

I have two a stripper and a loaded one both sound great. I also have MkI the MkIIC+ sounds better to me smoother more polished. When dialed in the tone is so good the amp seems to play itself. It is capable of a very wide range of sounds especially if it has the EQ and some of them are terrible trash metal but some people like that too. I think it can be dialed in to fit right into the Two Rock, Fuchs, Dumble discussions. I am not crazy about the EV so my combo runs a Fane Alnico and my head runs on a cab with Tone Tubbys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

A Mesa Boogie RED stripe can duplicate the exact sound as a 2C+....
    And yes, they sound great. A Mark 3 Blue stripe comes almost dead on also, just not as bright...
    Steve

17. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Member

The MKIIC+ is a one trick pony. They have a lot of hype since they've been widely used by the guitarists in Metallica and Dream Theater, amongst others, and that's the kind of tones they do best. They were once the best, at what they did, but now I really don't think it's worth spending those kinds of money people are paying to get the MKIIC+'s. Yes, I have had one of these things on loan but later returned it because it wasn't really all that great compared to a lot of things I was playing through. Huge amounts of hiss, Mesa/Boogie problem in general, not versatile enough and it also was pretty old, unreliable, smelled and had a very irritating humming noise coming from the built in fan. Seriously, don't get it! Get a modern amp that's more versatile. Any Bogner, for instance, will blow that thing of the planet! Just my 2 cents worth in contrast to all the praise and hype! Good luck!

18. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Nothing said above correlates with my experience. Nothing. I have to wonder if we're even talking about the same amp? :confused:

19. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

I agree. Mine doesn't make any noise at all. I have it setup where i can get a great lead and clean at the same time. For leads and gain, no Bogner can touch it. I have compared them side-by-side and i held onto my Boogie. I think a VHTUL is one hell of a great amp that can just about do everything a IIC+ can but with greater versatility. Well on JUly30th a bunch of us are getting together and we will have a few IIC+ amps along with Diezel, Bogner, Engl, VHT, you name it. It can "hang" with anything.

20. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I preferred my Mark III blue stripe to my Mark IIC+ ..... they're both great at what they do..... classic amps. And you can get the III's dirt cheap.