Mesa Boogie Mk.llC- vs. C+ Mod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 5881, May 8, 2008.

1. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

I have an all original 1x12 100watt , no Simu Class Mkll C-. I am thinking about having Mike B at Boogie doing the C+ update now, before the guy retires or stops working on amps. I understand there aren't many C-'s that have not been updated. I also understand that the C- has somewhat better cleans, while the C+ has a much better dirty channel. I like the way mine sounds, but have heard C+'s and like them too. My question has to do with current and future value. Leave as is and have one of the few C-'s out there, or have modded by "the man" (MB) while I can? I plan on keeping it for quite a while, (although for the right price...), but as with any of my "vintage" stuff, look at it as an investment as well.

2. thegame

thegame Member

I'd definitely do it. "C-" is just a nickname. Your amp is a "C", not a "C-". I think Mesa jokingly came up with the '-' because after the '+' mod came about, just about everyone thought the '+' was alot better.

3. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Do it. C+ is the amp to have and mine have a great clean sound. Like any sound takes a bit of tweaking.

4. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

It acually says C-. I hear you about the tone, I was inclined to do it for that reason, but what about the value; all original thing?

5. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

I had a "fully loaded" Mark IIc that I had converted by Mike B to MarkIIc+ specs about 10 years ago. While there is no question it made the amp sound better in almost every way, it still didn't sound as good as my red strip Mark III.

So I got rid of it...

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have had two MKIIC+ amps. One was a 60/100 and the other was a Sumul Class. They both had great cleans and I preferred them to the MKIII Simul Class, red stripe I had, not that that wasn't also a great sounding amp. C+s have a very natural but full clean and exceptional bloom.

7. tcforec

tcforec Member

I just got a Simul Class C+ two weeks ago and the cleans are fantastic. The lead channel (what this amp is famous for) is great too. It's a little tough to get the best of each channel without tweaking a little but you can close enough. And btw, a Clark gainster through the clean channel is fantastic.

8. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

Im a long time Mesa Mark series boogie user and If you like the tone of your amp now then don't bother with the + mod.
    FWIW, Ive heard original IIC's that smoked the IIC+ and I am a HUGE fan of the IIC+. The IIC's are actually rarer then the IIC+.
    The only way id recommend that you mod the amp is If you feel your amp is lacking something and if that's the case then Id go ahead and send it to Mike B. I had a friend who sent his IIC in for the + mod and he wanted the old amp back before the mod.

I guess Im saying if it aint broke then don't fix it.

I hope this helps!

~R~

9. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

All the regular IIC's I have heard had very weak gain (Mike B will confirm this...this is why they started calling them the IIC-). The IIC+ upgrade will add additional gain to the amp.

10. mike80

mike80 Member

You might want to look into this a little more. I've read somewhere that if it actually says "C-" on it, it's been upgraded to some of the C+ specs already but not all. Like it's half of the plus sign, so half the upgrades.

11. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

The gain being weak on a IIC has not been the case with the few ive heard. There was/is plenty of gain on tap and if you look at my moniker, you will see that I like gain lol :D
    With that said, If Mike B says that the + mod adds gain then this is good for the original poster to know because he might have plenty now! l :BEER

Just for the record ,and I know this probably isnt everyones cup of tea, but one Listen to Strypers against the law disc should tell you how much gain a IIC has because that's exactly what they used. they used A IIC....not IIC+ into a 4x12 boogie cab loaded with EV's.

12. bosstone

bosstone Member

The trick to getting both a great clean and great lead without tweaking is the use of disuse of the right pull pots because some of them are only active when in lead mode. If you have the graphic eq, you can also set it so that it is only engaged in lead mode. In that way you can use the graphic to add, subtract or shape the tone AND GAIN, when engaged. Once I figured that out, I had zero problem getting great and well balanced sounds out of both channels.

13. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Love the tone on "Against The Law". I have a Mesa 50 caliber head (EL84s, NOT the 6L6 version!!) and I can nail that tone to the "T".

14. tcforec

tcforec Member

My doesn't have the EQ. Wouldn't have got it in the trade I did if it did. However, I can get very very good settings on both simultaneously just not that extra 10% perfection. Make no mistake, I traded my old '66 DR (a bit beat up and lacking originality all over) for it so it sounds great or I wouldn't have done it (even with the prices going up). An old G&L ASAT classic sounds very balanced in both channels and my SG classic w /lollars screams through the lead channel. Have to dial back the highs quite a bit on both of them through the clean channel.

Read an article today that Metallica pulled the old C+'s back out for the new album so I can imagine what that will do to the market. The one I got is super clean so I would love to find a beater or one modded to a C+ to gig with often.

15. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I had a C- for a short while a long time ago. I had the plus mod done and liked it much better. One thing I seem to remember on the stock C amp was the pull shift on the treble pot worked backwards from the C+. When you pull the treble shift on the C+ it gives you an upper mid boost on the lead mode only. On the C I seem to recall the treble shift is engaged when the knob is pushed in and it worked in both lead and rhythm modes. When you pulled the knob out it disengaged the treble shift. Now this was a long time ago. So I may not be remembering this correctly. I also seem to remember something about the efx loop that was different from the C+ and not liking it either. Again too long ago. Anyone else?

16. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Yes, I was at Mesa Hollywood in February, and mentioned that I had a IIC+. The guy in the shop said that a Metallica tech had been there the day before looking for one, as they were recording in LA and wanted an amp. So, had I not lived in Oz, my amp may well have wound up on a Metallica album.

17. LesMarshall

LesMarshall Member

Pardon my lack of Boogie knowledge but what exactly is done to make a C a C+ ? Thx Jim

18. thegame

thegame Member

WTF ??? Metallica have plenty of C+'s in their collections. I know for a fact they hoard amps, from personal past dealings several years ago (not with Metallica directly, but close....).

I won a Mesa Strategy 400 on Ebay last year and right after the auction I got an email from Metallica's equipment manager offering me more than I paid for it. I still have the amp :AOK

Perhaps I may have been inclined to sell it if along with their offer, I'd have received a personal apology from Metallica for dishing out $17 on the St. Anger CD :roll

19. lutelover

lutelover Member

I had the mod done by MB a few years ago after obtaining a IIC. My intention all along was to purchase the amp in order to have the mod done; nonetheless, I did take time to work with the IIC as it was.

Of course, there might have been variables that effected the tone adversely after purchasing it used -- and I seem to recall that, along with an entire retubing there were a couple other things MB replaced. The bottom line, however, was that I liked the modded sound better than the unmodded IIC. I should also add that mine is a 60-watt version, with all of the other extras except the export transformer.

As a combo, I can't say it really impresses me; part of that may be that I refuse to run it at volumes that will ruin my hearing. But, hook that amp up to a quality 2x12 or 4x12, and you've really got a fantastic machine!

All in all, I'd say 'go for it.'