Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 410 for $500 on CL

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by kcducttaper, Feb 18, 2015.

1. kcducttaper

kcducttaper Member

This little jewel has been floating around CL in my area. The thought had occurred to me to trade in my Ampeg SVT 410HLF for it - or even in addition to it. :D I've got my eyes set on a MB 102(or 104)hf though if I ever pick up the bass much again.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/4859794437.html

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you'd be trading one brutally heavy box for another, but i'd take the boogie in a minute over the HLF rumblemonster.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

4. theroan

theroan Member

Definitely a step up in terms of quality, but Mesa bass stuff is easily the heaviest equipment you will find. If your back is ready for it, do it.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

I've owned both - the Mesa is about 20lbs heavier, but is punchier and clearer sounding... Both will get pretty loud, produce alot of lows, and move alot of air... Be advised that is an older PH410 - I think you can do better for that amount of money: either pay less for that one, or get a newer, more current one for that kind of money...

Regarding Mesa cabs and weight: it's true that they're typically a bit heavier than similar cabs by other manufacturers, but they're also better built, can take more punishment, and hold their value extremely well... FWIW, I've owned the PH810, PH610, PH410, PH215, PH212, and a pair of the PH115s - along with atleast three SVT810e, SVT610-HLF, 3 or 4 SVT410-HLF cabs...

IME/IMO, the next closest thing to Mesa cabs - but for less money - would be SWR's Goliath series... The Megoliath, Goliath Sr, and Goliath cabs can be outstanding bargains on the used market...

Hope this helps,

- georgestrings

6. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I'm the guy that still gigs the old dinosaur 100 pound bass cabs- but I think that era is gone.

7. georgestrings

Same here - these days, I'm gigging either a PH215, or a single PH115, or a pair of them stacked... I've yet to need all four Mesa 15s, but can state that they absolutely CRUSH...

- georgestrings

8. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

I have a recently acquired Mesa Powerhouse 1000 and so far love it and especially the handles and wheels....lol

9. walterw

the thing with the four tens and the fifteen in the middle?

it's a well built box, but not much love for the design; the mismatched speaker arrangement is not ideal sonically, and by all accounts the fifteen tends to blow since it's taking half the power while the four tens together take the other half.

10. georgestrings

Yup - when I bought a PH610, I had the opportunity to directly A/B it against a PH1000... I *thought* the PH1000 sounded great - until I tried out the PH610 right next to it, that is - the 610 won out, no contest...

Also, there is an older PH1000 that's been left at my band's rehearsal space - it's currently sporting a Peavey BW for the 15, which is atleast the 3rd 15 it's been thru that I know of...

- georgestrings

11. AXEnGEAR4J

There has been good and bad reviews on the PH1000, some love em some hate mixed speakers. So far so good and I ended up with a screaming deal on it due to the shippers packaging negligence. I do know the they upgraded the speaker on the newer ones so we'll see, I would rather of had a 610 but couldn't find a used one anywhere and I'm still looking for one to pair up with the 1000

12. georgestrings

I wish you the best of luck, and really didn't want to rain on your parade...

- georgestrings

13. AXEnGEAR4J

No worries..it rolls off my back I live in the PNW!
    Heck a M9 and PH1000 for $750 I have nothing to lose other than a 15"...lol

14. walterw

wow yeah, the M9 is certainly a score!

design reservations about that cab or no, you won't have any trouble hearing yourself with that rig!

15. georgestrings

Cool - and yeah, that is a great deal - the amp alone is worth more than that...

- georgestrings

16. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

I just bought a Mesa Powerhouse Traditional 4x10 off ebay. I've been wanting to get a Mesa cab for a while because every time I hear one, it sounds frggin great. My current cab, a Genz Benz Uber 2x12, sounds great too though, which is why I've been holding off. But I should get the Mesa this weekend. Can't wait to compare the 2 cabs with my Mesa M6. I've been through a lot of bass and guitar gear, but IMO Mesa is the best at both.

17. georgestrings

I'm interested in your comparison - I've been gigging Mesa cabs exclusively for the last 10 years or so, and they've served me extremely well... I've also owned a few Genz-Benz heads, and still have a Streamliner 900 and Shuttlemax 12.0 - and I've heard some high praise for those Uber cabs...

- georgestrings

18. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

I've been comparing cabs all week. They're both really good, and it's tough to decide between the two. First of all my Uber 2x12 is 4 ohms, and it's been tough finding a 2nd 4 ohm cab to pair it with. I didn't want to get another uber 2x12 just because I would like to have another cab with different tonal properties. I've tried the uber 4x10 and I thought its tone was too modern.

The Mesa traditional 4x10 is 8 ohms, so it's not gonna pair with the uber 2x12. I wish I could find a 4ohm Mesa, but I think most people hold on to them. The trad 4x10 sounds great, much more vintage tone than I've heard from other 4x10's. It is not a scooped sound, it has strong lo-mids, attenuated highs (I turn off the horn since I don't like that tone) and its bottom end is stronger than the uber 2x12's. The Mesa M6 with the 4x10 produces a very punchy tone with velvet-y smooth bottom end. The uber 2x12 is likewise as punchy, slightly less bottom end, but it has a much more full range sound, so with the tone knob on the bass at 100% and horn off, its highs can cut through.

I've tried the cabs with the M6 and a P-bass and played it with drums. Based on just this test, I would probably keep the Mesa 4x10 and look for another 8 ohm Mesa to pair it with. I'll have a chance to try it with a full band this weekend, and I want to make sure that Mesa 4x10's bottom punches through a thicker mix. The uber has great tone throughout its fuller range, and in a busier mix can easily punch through, but I think I prefer the more bass-ier tone of the Mesa 4x10, as long as it can similarly punch through a busy mix.

19. walterw

why not?

when doubling up bass cabs you want them to be absolutely identical, that's how you get the strongest, most even low end.

check with any pro sound company worth a damn, they don't run different kinds of subs together at the same time, and it's for the same reason.

20. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

Because if I had 2 bass cabs, I'd probably get more use out of either single cab than using both cabs. Having 2 different cabs would give me 3 different cab options.