Mesa Boogie Quad Pre Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by msrecprod, Jul 14, 2006.

1. msrecprod

msrecprod Member

What Boogie tones are in this box. Does it have the old Mark 2/3 type lead sound. Also who was using them, and what would the Quad pre compare tone wise to?

2. Keld

Keld Member

Yes, the first quad pre is based on the Mark II series and the second pre on the Mark III. I loved the sound of the Quad - the Mark II side is a bit more old school, classic rock like, with the Mark III being tighther, more focused and a bit more modern sounding, though nothing like a Recto type modern thump. I'm not sure who used them, but tonally they are much like the Mark II & III, though of course your choice of power amp will have something to say about the end result as well. A 20/20 would be a nice complement if you like el84's.

The coolest feature of the Quad is that you have the ability to run both preamps at the same time, so you could set one side pretty clean for definition and the other overdriven for the grit/girth/distortion. This feature requires you to step on two of the footswitch buttons at once, which is a bit tricky, or you can set up another external switch to handle it.

I played Mark series amps for years, and loved them, but also grew frustrated with feeling like I had to constantly tweak the settings to get them "right" again, and the Quad was no different in that regard. Great pre though. If I had some spare cash around I'd love to get another.

3. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    I never played one, but I have always wanted one. if you score one, let me know what you think.
    Rob

4. Distortion

Distortion Member

Here is a picture of my Quad running into a Stereo 295. I bought this new in 88 and still have it. For speakers it was running two Mesa Boogie 4 x 12 cabs.. Running some stereo effects it sounded HUGE.. I still play it from time to time..

[​IMG]

5. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I had one a long time ago. Big Heavy Mofo but super cool in stereo with the 295 power amp. Lots of cool gain tones in the Quad.

6. msrecprod

msrecprod Member

have you guys ever tried running it into a marshall 2203 poweramp section? I'm trying to capture the old Metallica tones.

7. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Look in the Emporium.....;)

8. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

I owned one in the late 80's. Mine was a late '88 model. Sounded great live, recorded great, but absolutely SUCKED for reliability. Their FU-2 switching sys was a nightmare. In warmer to hot venues, the channels switching end would totally flake out on me. Step on Ch 1 for example, you might get Ch. one, three, an EQ "on" or defeated, a combination of things, or nothing whatsoever. (it was the) Weirdest thing I've ever come across in my 32 years of guitar playing, and I can honestly say it was the MOST unreliable amp I have ever owned, before or since the Quad.

I eventually dumped it like a hot rock, and though I've tried a few Boog products since, I probably will never own a Boog ever again. So much for their glowing, self-aggrandizing brochures...

YMMV.

9. Keld

Keld Member

just because the footswitch was goofy, it doesn't make the entire amp, or boogie line bad. Now that you mention it though, mu FU-2 was a bit odd as well. Other than that issue though, the many Mesa products I've owned have been rock solid.

10. Distortion

Distortion Member

In eighteen years the only issue I have ever had with my quad was a pot had to be replaced.
    The FU-2 has never given me a single problem.
    The 295 has also had zero issues.
    Boogie is not my favorite amp of all time, but reliability has not been an issue for me.

11. msrecprod

msrecprod Member

Would there be a special year to look for, or were they all pretty much made the same?

12. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

I loved having my Quad with a Stereo 295 as well. There was a sweet spot between the two cabs I used that was heaven. I never had any technical problems, but the rig was just too much to haul around for the one nighters we were doing. If we had been doing longer bookings where things could have been left on stage I would have kept it. I used a midi octapus and midi foot controller to channel switch and change effects patches. Very cool rig in its day. I still have a Mark IV, although I have moved on to other amps - Fuchs, Dr. Z, Komet.

13. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

That may well be at first glance- but if the stupid thing won't switch correctly it makes the rest of the amp rather moot onstage wouldn't you agree? I don't care if the thing sounds so good that angels sing.

But let's see...out of myself and 3 other boog/mesa users off the top of my head that I know in the immediate area, only ONE of them has had solid reliability; the other two have amps that are always in the shop for B.S. issues that should never happen. One owner has a Subway rocket- the other a MKIV...both of these amps spend more time in the friggin shop than they do at gigs. The one guy who has had pretty good luck with Boog is using old MKII and old MKIII amps. All of these players, including myself, take meticulous care of our gear.

14. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Great amps, but BOOOOY oh boy, you cringe when it's time to replace tubes! Throw a 295 or even a 400 power amp and you're talking big buck.

I guess it's like driving a Merc or a Jag though. You're pimpin' when they work and paying out the nose to keep them up!:D

15. Keld

Keld Member

Sorry to hear you and your friends had bad boogie experiences. I've owned a lot of boogie gear over the years and have had very few problems. I just tend to cringe when people make blanket statements that mesa stuff "sucks", "is a piece of crap", etc. etc. Proves to me they haven't spent much time playing and tweaking their amps ( and checking out more than one or two amps), which granted isn't everyone's cup of tea. I've actually left the fold and gone Orange, fwiw, but if I had the budget would still own a bunch of boogies.:AOK

Cheers.

16. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I know a guy that has a Quad and a 50/50 in a rack that he may want to sell. It used to be mine, he bought it 10 years ago from me and never plugged it in. Let me know if you want to to contact him.

17. Wengnutt

Wengnutt Member

PM sent :)

18. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Never had a single problem with either of my two Boogies but I found them too hard to dial in each time.

19. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

Mesa Quad Preamps Rule!!!

20. willyboy

willyboy Member

I owned a Quad and the 295 power amp running into a half open 4x12 for about 12 years. Sounded huge for sure. Classic Mark II and III tones. Never had any reliability problems though the power amp had to be serviced once for some blown diodes. I guess I see that rig differently than some. It just wasn't worth it in the end (seriously expensive to originally purchase and retube, moving it for gigs was a drag, constant tweaking anytime you changed either EQ or gain structure, etc). I really came to seriously dislike that thing by the time I got rid of it about 8 years ago and there isn't one day goes by that I miss it. It was a beast and wasn't really all that versatile despite essentially being two complete amp circuits. YMMV