Mesa boogie recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kajtor, May 8, 2019.

1. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

If you're considering Marks, One thing to know about the low watt versions is they do not have a master volume, and the high gain channel will get very loud with only the slightest turn of the volume knob.

I have a regular mark v and had a mark v 35 at one point. IMO the regular mark was much better suited for low volume playing.

danieloux and Jaji like this.
  2. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

I have owned and still own several Mesa amps. To be honest, if you are looking for a clean pedal platform then there is no particular reason to go with a Mesa. Yes, many Mesa amps have very nice clean channels but if that is only what you want then you will find much better value elsewhere.

Kajtor and Dale like this.
  3. Christopher Sullivan

Christopher Sullivan Member

If you aren’t using on board distortion and are open to a Marshall consider an old 2203 or 2204. The low input will give you the best pedal platform you could ask for.

4. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

while some boogies have really good clean channels (lone star, cali tweed, etc) i don't know the particular aspect os a boogies strong point. some might take pedals well for gain but my studio 22+ certainly doesn't like drive pedals. it certainly doesn't need it either as it has tons of great sounding drive available. knowing what you are looking for, what has driven you toward the mesa brand?

5. Dale

Dale Member

Honestly, if I were looking for a lower watt pedal platform for home use ... I would stay inexpensive amp head with nice cab & speaker. I use Bugera T5 with an open back pine cab and Crex and it works great for this.

Skreddy Hybrid Diver and V1 Dirty Little Secret are great with it.

Kajtor likes this.
  6. Kajtor

Kajtor Member

It always appeared to be great quality to me honestly from what I’ve heard. I know a few artists I like played on mesas.

7. Cliffhydro

Cliffhydro Supporting Member

Which drive pedals are you using with the 15? I’m looking to buy a new pedal and I’m curious what you’ve used.

8. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Kind of pointless to buy a high gain amp and use it as a clean pedal platform

Plenty of other options out there better suited

MkIIC+ and TubeStack like this.
  9. chance0

chance0 Member

I'm in agreement with the others. Mesas as clean platforms isn't a great idea. They all have something weird going on in the treble region, whether it be an odd boost in the 2kHz region or an unnatural brightness that just won't get along with many pedals. Don't get me wrong: it's quite a serviceable sound, but not as pristine as a Fender.

But if you buy a top-tier Mesa (used, perhaps), you won't find yourself using drive pedals as much, if at all.

10. Kajtor

Kajtor Member

Maybe that’s my problem I guess I need to experiment a bit more. I’m certainly open to having a great distortion on the amp but I’d like it’s clean to be suitable for distortion and effects pedals. Maybe Mesa isn’t what I thought.

11. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

they are great amps and i have owned a few mesas. it would not have been my first choice of brand from what you were describing though.

12. Pongo

Pongo Member

You might want to give the Lone Star Special a shot.

I sold mine 'cause I don't use a lot of pedals anymore, and in live settings, prefer the HUGE open grit of the full-size Lone Star. But if you're playing at home and use a lot of pedals, the Special might be perfect for your needs (especially considering the bands you listed). In fact, it's literally the only multi-watt amp I've ever used where the low mode (5 watts) actually sounds as good or better compared to full power!

You can set up channel 1 for cleans and distorted rhythm and channel 2 as a "pushed" channel for leads or harder rock. For your needs, it's ideal, and you'll probably love it!

Negatives are 1) it compresses and breaks up early -- really early -- so be sure you're that's your thing, 2) no matter what you do, it'll never give you those glorious open "Big Sky Cleans" of its bigger cousin, 2) if a quick metal rhythm attack is something you ever wanna do, forget about it (high gain is great, tho), and 3) all those cheap used ones that were on the market before the Fillmore came out have been bumped up by $400-500 or so...

Kajtor likes this.
  13. Kajtor

Kajtor Member

All great information here.

14. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Catalinbread DLS 3, Greer Lightspeed and a Zoom UF-01.

15. timc

timc Silver Supporting Member

Any MK1 is a great pedal platform at any volume.

16. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

If you just want a low volume clean pedal platform, why look to Mesa for that?

The obvious amp for this is the Lone Star Special ... Others suggested have way too much power for what you're looking for. The TA15 or TA30 would be a good second choice.

Kajtor likes this.
  17. JCantrell

JCantrell Member

Soundgarden = Peavey VTM
    Pearl Jam = Marshall & Fender
    Foo Fighters = Fender Tonemaster + Dual Recto

This is the early period for these bands of course (Badmotorfinger, Ten, Colour & The Shape etc)

Kajtor likes this.
  18. Cliffhydro

Cliffhydro Supporting Member

Cool. Thanks for responding.

19. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Mark series. The older the better as far as being good pedal amps. Those old Mark combos that you see everywhere on Craigslist are awesome for running pedals into.

20. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I've had MANY, upon MANY Mesa's over the past 15 years.... Single, Dual, Triple Rectifiers....Roadster, Road King, Tremoverb (4 over the years), Rectoverb, Lonestar Classic, Transatlantic TA-15, and a Mark V.

My absolute favorite in all of these, was the Mark V! Had amazing cleans, very pedal friendly, and you still have 2 dirt channels if you got the itch to use them. That's how I used my Mark V in my "Outlaw/Red Dirt" country band. The Mark V is probably one of my top 4 amps I've ever owned (I've owned over 100). The only reason I got rid of it was, I had the combo that weighed right at 80 pounds... I recently had neck surgery (2 years ago), and just couldn't load that amp in and out of my car any more. Tried trading it for a head, but ended up trading it for a guitar instead.

But, if you're wanting just a CLEAN platform....GREAT cleans and takes pedals well. The Lonestar Special would be my vote. It does have a "dirty" channel, that will get you into classic rock or even AC/DC territory and some 80s rock... Or you can use it as a 2nd clean, just voiced a little different. Great reverb, an FX loop, solo boost.

If you want to venture out a little, check out the Mark V.....Either the full-size, or the Mark 5:35 or Mark 5:25.

That's my vote(s)

danieloux, Kajtor and Cliffhydro like this.