Mesa Boogie Reliability - TC 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by homeunit, Feb 16, 2020.

1. homeunit

homeunit Supporting Member

Yup, I was like wtf?

Jabby92 likes this.
  2. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

3. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

So does that mean I'm wrong? From my personal experience I'd hesitate to buy another Mesa. I like the way they sound, but my Nomad constantly blew fuses (among other things), and the Tremoverb would break if I looked at it sideways. I had both amps around 4 years and I took them to the shop around 15-20 times during that period. I sold the amps and literally made the choice to avoid Mesa after that experience! I'm not saying you'll have even remotely the same experience, but that's just my story! I've had amps have issues before, but always a one and done sort issue (re-tube, re-bias type stuff, bad capacitor, etc...) but having issues that often is a quality control issue IMO!

4. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

It means you got the worst they have ever offered and probably should be considered an outlier.

5. southbeck

southbeck Member

One of the reasons I like my Mesa express 5:50+ is that it´s so reliable. Been doing gigs with it for many years. Not had a single problem.

6. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Were you the original owner of those amps?

7. cardinal

cardinal Supporting Member

Curious: what were the issues the Tremoverb was giving you?

8. madhermit

madhermit Member

Just a public service announcement about the warranty. I think as of about March 2019, they are no longer transferable.

eigentone likes this.
  9. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Seriously???

10. madhermit

madhermit Member

I’m trying to find the link. I think the new warranty cards exclude the transferrable part. I am away from home and just got a Mark Five:25 combo which is their newest amp I think. I will read the wattanty sheet when I get home.

From what I remember, amps before the cutoff are still transferable, amps after are not.

Edit: Here is a link to their current warranty sheet. No mention of transferable anywhere I read. First sentence of second paragraph states ‘original purchaser’.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  11. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

Mesa amplifiers have a well-earned reputation for reliability, though all things break. I had a Simul 2:90 that literally shot electrical bolts out of the back in the most epic tube amp failure I've witnessed. Other than that, no issues with a Dual Rectifier I gigged 3 nights a week for 10 years, a Mesa Studio Preamp, triaxis, Mark III, or VTwin. Keep some known-good spare tubes and fuses with your amps and you should experience trouble free operation for a long time.

GT100 likes this.
  12. ripley156

ripley156 Supporting Member

FWIW, I recently bought a used TC50 (first Mesa) and they happily gave me the remaining 3.5 years left on the warranty. They even covered the footswitch (which had a bad switch and was the reason I called in the first place). I was completely impressed with the whole process, the attitude of the CS person I was talking with and the fast turnaround. They seem like a class organization and made me a fan.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    FbIsNotE likes this.
  13. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Moder8er Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I bought a very used DC-5 1x12 back in 2011. Bought two different used 1x12 Mavericks from our TGP brother dukew. Bought an original Mark III brand new back in the early 80s. I still have one of the 1x12 Mavs. The others are long gone.

Here is a list of all the problems and issues I had with those Mesa amps:

14. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

rofl

Nicely done, sir. :D

Bucksears and Teleplayer like this.
  15. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

When I worked at a Mesa dealer I found it prudent to take the floor model rather than new out of the box, there often would be niggles with a bad tube or a relay. Once the teething problems were sorted out they were tanks.

I've owned a Studio .22, a fully loaded MkIIc, and TA15 and 30. The only unreliable one is the 35 year old Studio that has a design flaw in the output section, my TAs are my main gigging amps.

16. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

3 bad pots! Which I've had scratchy pots before, but not like this! It idled super loud w/lot's of weird line noise even with very little gain (and I was a humbucker guy at the time). My other amps even w/gain in the same room etc... idled quieter! Could never get that to an acceptable/usable level for studio use.

17. homeunit

homeunit Supporting Member

that’s hilarious.

18. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

having owned several boogies over the last 30 years and currently using a study 22+ combo, i would say boogies are very reliable. up there with Rivera which i have owned quite a few of too. i would never send a boogie amp to a non-certified mesa tech for repair though. looking inside one can be a bot overwhelming if they don't know what to expect.

19. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Yes on both! Listen I like the way those things sound, but after touring w/ one in a good road case and it being problematic (blew fuses like crazy) and playing around town with the other (no road case) and it being more problematic than any amp I've ever owned I'll take a hard pass! Sound great though!

The Tremoverb had a great clean tone, but idled so loud I'd have to use a gate in the studio ON A CLEAN SOUND. A couple times I tried to use that amp the engineer would tell me I had to use something different due to the amount of noise! Just straight up said "I'm not recording that amp" (2 different guys). Other times I used a gate which I don't think I've ever had to gate a clean sound on any other recording esp w/humbuckers-which is what I used at the time. Plus 3 pots went bad and IIRC the rectifier switch as well!

I know guys use and love these amps, hell I think they sound great! Which is why I bought them in the first place. I just think that after owning 2 don't think they are very road worthy compared to my vintage Fenders or Marshalls or any other amp I've ever used! That's just my experience with them and I just hope everyone else's experience is better!

I just think after reading the OP complaining about a scratchy pot that he's not gonna be happy in the long run. Especially after my experiences!

20. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

2 different amps had problems. Not the same model. Nomad blew fuses (WAY too often) in rooms my other amps never popped fuses so it really wasn't a power issue, it was the amp. Tremoverb needed an exorcism!

plan-x likes this.