Mesa Boogie Replacemnt Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hours, Apr 2, 2015.

1. hours

hours Member

Hello there...I recently purchased a Mesa Rocket 440 of ebay and when it arrived, the tubes were broken.

Just curious if I need to replace them with Mesa tubes or if any tubes will suffice?

We are talking about 4xEL84, 4x12AX7...any suggestions on tubes?

How about advice swapping them out...this is my first time changing tubes.

Thanks a ton!

2. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I think Mesa have the best replacement tubes on the market because of their testing process. But if your question really is "Do other branded tubes work in a Mesa amp?" ...the answer is absolutely yes. Ask other Mesa owners about the warranty as it relates to their amps and tubes...I've heard it may be an issue.

3. SteveO

SteveO Member

Mesa amps are fixed bias, so although you don't "need" Mesa-branded tubes in them, you do need tubes that are in the correct bias range. Mesas tubes are already in the correct range, so they're plug-and-play. Also, using non-Mesa tubes will void the warranty if your amp is still new enough, but the Rocket amps are old enough that this isn't a concern.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Any reputable dealer like KCA, Dougs Tubes or Eurotubes can get you a set of el84 of most major brands that fall within range of that amps bias requirements if you just tell them what amp it is.

How did tubes get broken anyway, did seller not secure them properly for shipping? If not that's something I'd be making the seller pay for without a doubt.

5. hours

hours Member

The tubes were left in the amp...the amp was not packaged great and came from KY to CA...I guess that's just what happens when you buy on ebay.

The amp looks like it took a spill somewhere in shipping....very nice slice in the tolex that wasn't there when it was listed on eBay.

Anyway...life goes on.

Hopefully new tubes is all it needs to be back in action!

6. bsause

bsause Member

The guys at Eurotubes had a set of El84s that worked great for a Rocket 44 I used to have. Mine actually red plated a set of Mesa tubes. I'm not sure if the 440 has this problem but my 44 ran really hot. The set I bought from Eurotubes helped the problem.

Just tell them what amp you are putting the tubes in and they will find a good match.

7. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

This, I bought a set of tubes from Mesa last year for my TremoVerb. Worked great.

8. Robbgnarly

Robbgnarly Member

any tubes work just fine. Groovetubes and Ruby tubes test their tubes the same bias range as mesa, but any tubes will work.

9. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I have a Mesa Lonestar Special and tried a quad of fresh JJ's. Not bad sounding but I went back to the original MB labeled tubes. They sounded better to my ear and more of what I wanted to hear. MB's prices are higher than the rest, that's your decision

10. LithiumZero

LithiumZero Member

You can use whatever brand you like but they must be within the correct range. My suggestion is Dougs Tubes. Tell him you need them in Mesa range and you're all set

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I've shipped probably 30 amps on ebay and have never pulled tubes. Leaving the tubes in the amp is the best way to ship the amp, the problem is the shipper was abusive.

If you can pack an amp properly you won't have any issues as long as the shipper holds up their end.

Regarding tubes, Mesa used to use Sovtek el84 tubes, JJ's tend to sound a little sweeter. I'd just get some in the average range.

12. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Mesa tubes are selected to fall into a medium current draw range. So comparable to Groove Tubes 4-6 range. Most good tube sellers can select tubes that fall into this range.

Mesa does a great job of testing and matching the tubes they sell, and they have a 6 month warranty to back them up.

13. Skiptrip

Skiptrip Supporting Member

Doug's Tubes--ask for a tube recommendation for your amp. I've never been disappointed with his suggestions...

14. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

JJ's EL-84's are great!

15. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Any dealer who does real (idle current at ~400Vplate) testing on power tubes can do this.

FWIW, Mesa's matching isn't very close...as much as 8mA out from what I've seen. They probably don't think close matching really matters and they may be right.

16. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I may be looking at a smaller sample than you are but I'm going to have to disagree based on what I've seen on the 30-40 or so pairs of Mesa tubes I've installed in customers amps. I'm usually seeing a match no greater than 3ma and that's the exception. Are you talking about the match within a Mesa color group or the range of the colors? They all fall within the range of what will work in the Mesa amps but the different color matches they use to pair them up varies within that range. Still when I get a pair of (for instance) yellow Mesa tubes the match between the pair is tight.

17. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Mesa power tubes are the best I don't care what anyone says.

18. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The ones I remember most were some Mesa STR 415 NOS Sylvania 6L6GCs. These may have been pre-color coding. But there were around 80 of them and the range was 8mA.