Mesa Boogie replaces orig 68 Plexi?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by radialaced, May 18, 2006.

1. radialaced

radialaced Member

I was recently turned on to Andy Timmons. The dude is very hip. Great playing and great tone.

In Andy states in an interview that he has replaced his 68 Plexi and his 1979 JMP with a Mesa Boogie Lonestar and a Mesa Boogie Stiletto.

So....here's the question: Which Mesa is supposed replace which Marshall?

I guess the Lonestar is replacing the 68 Plexi? Or is it the Stiletto?

So if I run down to my local GC and plug into a Lonestar or a Stiletto I'm going to hear a 68 Plexi?

Serious question.

Thanks.

2. myles111

myles111 Member

And ..... Robben Ford is now using black face Fenders ....

Sometimes folks change their tone.

These are all totally different amps but the Marshall and Stiletto are EL34 based amps but the front end is totally different. The Lonestar? There are 6L6 and EL84 versions ... neither at all like a Plexi Marshall. The Stiletto is also about as far away as one could get from a non-master volume Marshall or even a JCM 800.

If you want to hear a Plexi plug into one. The other two amps are nowhere near the Marshall in tone, response or character. You are trying to compare a van with a boat ... not even a van with a car.

3. msp

msp Member

maybe andy is endorsed by mesa now

4. dnumde

dnumde Member

I wasn't sure if Mesa endorses artistes? Read somewhere that all the amps and stuffs were bought right out each individuals' pockets and not given by Mesa like how some other companies do. Could someone shed some light on this topic?

5. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Not real sure how you came up with those observations, but I disagree. Sure a Stiletto doesn't sound exactly like a typical Marshall master volume amp, but it can be dialed in to sound somewhat close if you have a good ear. Probably closer than any other Mesa around.

I also tried a Lonestar the other day and it was "similar" to a non-master volume Marshall. No, not exact. But it had that vintage midrangey smooth tone.

So yeah, they're NOT MARSHALLS. But those are probably the two Mesa models that can sound the closest to Marshalls out of all of them. Especially the Stiletto.

6. radialaced

radialaced Member

I hear ya Myles I already know what your saying. But Andy Timmons made the comparison, not me. He is quoted in the Musicplayers.com interview as saying, " Almost everything in the studio was vintage Marshall. But now with the Mesa/Boogie amps I’m playing, I’m able to recreate everything I did in the studio spot-on with the Stiletto and the Lone Star. The record was mainly a ‘68 Plexi on one side and a ‘79 JMP on the other."

He goes on to say, " Steve Mueller from Mesa/Boogie came to hear the tracks we were working on for the new record and he was blown away with the tone, wanting to know what we were using, and I sheepishly told him that it was the vintage Marshall stuff. He was like, “Wow, that just really sounds amazing. We’re working on the Stiletto and we’d love to get your ears involved, because we’re trying to capture some of this and then some.” Obviously, they’re going to do their own thing, and when Steve came to me with a later version of the Stiletto I was absolutely blown away because Mesa/Boogie absolutely nailed that sound – especially my 1979 JMP sound. "

7. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

Lately I've been buying CD's based on the gear...er Marshalls on them. Reading this, and checking andy's site makes me want a friggin plexi even more... and I didnt think it was possible to want one any more than I did 15 minutes ago!! lol

S.

8. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

Just saw this in a review of the Lonestar"

"The overdrive tones definitely have an old-school vibe— you’ll have no problem dialing in the thick, syrupy sustain of a Paul Kossoff , the raunchy snap and gristle of a Malcolm Young"

9. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Amps may change...but their fingers stay the same ;)

10. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I have been a Marshall guy for quite a few years now and I tell ya that my Stiletto v1 sounds fan-f'ing-tastic! They got bad press on the web for some reason when they came out, but mine sounds like a million bucks. Yes, they do sound Marshally to me, but thicker.

11. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Member

How're the cleans on the Lonestar and Stilleto? Should I stop walking past them and actually stop and try them out?

12. Madsman

Madsman Member

The Lonestar Cleans are what that amp does well. The Stiletto was stiff when I played it (version I)... I really want to hear the amp, the way it's voiced now.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I got rid of my Ferari in favor of the mutch faster Doodlebug. :AOK

14. cocobolo

cocobolo Supporting Member

I had a Lonestar 2x12 for awhile. Overall I wasn't happy with it. I like an amp to open up early on the volume dial and have a vocal quality. The lonestar was fat and compressed at low volumes. However the few times I could turn it up it sang really nice. Plus a Vox wah sounded great in front. I'd have to say its a gigging amp for sure but you'd better have a strong back. In my opinion the best way to find out an amp's sound is to find a live recording at full volume. If you want to know what a Lonestar sounds like rent/buy Bonnaroo '04 and listen to the lead from My Morning Jacket. He's playing the LP.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I like the way the Lone Star Classics sound. They do a lot of different stuff. I had two of the 1x12 Combos and had problems with both of em. One smoked after having it for 3 months. It burnt a hole through the circuit board and could not be repaired without gutting the hole amp. The other was its warranty replacement which after a week started going screwy with me so back it went.

The thing about swiss army amps is they are just like industrial equipment if you go to micro chip this and high speed relay that your gonna have problems. I deal with it every stinking day.

I would like to see a very simplified version of the Lone Star. One Channel, no FX loop, no footswitches, no SS rectfier, only two power tubes, but with that very good unmistakeable clean sound that is way better than any Boogie I've ever heard. Or one could just get a Pro Reverb. :worried

16. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

I have to say, the last Boogie I had was a IIIC w/simulclass and that was YEARS ago. But I had one go down on a gig and I contacted Boogie, they told me they would send me a new one and that I should just put the old one in the box the new came in and send it back, with the paid postage they supplied. AND the new one they sent me had the grahic EQ which mine didn't have. Although since then my tastes have changed from that 'classic' Boogie sound, that company will always remain aces in my book!! What other company does **** like that?!

17. TimH

TimH Member

wow I completely disagree. Is the Stiletto exactly the same as a plexi..of course not. But to say it's not at all the same is dangerous. There are modes on the Stiletto that get me very close to the plexi...even side by side. Like most boogies, there are alot of options to get bogged down in but if you play the right kinds of modes and EQ the thing properly you can get VERY close and still have more things on tap. Just my .02 YMMV

and to answer the original poster...yes I'm sure the dirty plexi vibe is from the Stiletto (although the Lonestart with EL34's can acheive a descent vibe as well..not as close by a long shot though). I'm sure Andy is using the Lonestar for cleans and semi-dirty sounds.

18. templar

templar Member

I like Timmons playing alot. I can definitely tell his playing immediately, as much as I can tell a mesa when I hear one. They both have distinct sound like none other. Funny lately when I heard a friend playing a Timmons CD at work. Immediately I thought " wow, that sure sounds like a Mesa of some kind. Come to find out it was. Great player. Great amps:p

19. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Its called getting famous and having his agent hook him up with endorsements of main line gear .I bet if you look in the studio during his next recording you will see that his 68 Plexi didn't go no where............[​IMG]

20. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Andy does not use the regular stiletto, he uses the new one, i think it´s called Stiletto Ace II, ahich seems to be quite different from the first one.
    Haven´t played the new one, but i´ve been talked about it to sound waaaay better than the regular stiletto...and be very Marshally.