1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Mesa Boogie Roadster?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BBQLS1, Oct 14, 2006.

1. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Normally, I'm not a Mesa Boogie kind of guy. I like it when other people play them, but they aren't for me. I just played one of these Dual Rectifier Roadsters. It was a pretty cool amp, 4 channels and everything in a box. I don't know if I could tweak the channels to get the sounds, but the guy in the shop did. Very cool amp. I'm still thinking about the Budda, but I was very pleasantly suprised by the Boogie.

Anyone try one?

2. Miles

Miles Member

They're great, but I never need 4 channels, and I don't want to worry about replacing that many tubes, but they sound great, and they're not priced badly at all.

3. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

No love? This amp sounded great.

5. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I always thought I"d get a Rectoverb, but this new one might do the trick. Explain to me the pre amp stuff. ie rectifier, solid state or true tube etc. pardon my ignorance.

6. tone4days

tone4days Member

i wanna play one .. and a lonestar special too

i am worried that the roadster and road king are just too loud for my uses, that is why i am curious about the lonestar special

over at the boogie board, folks are on about all these models and more

t4d

7. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I've not played one, but I've spent alot of time with the big brother Road King. It's a tweakers paradise, if that's your thing. Not a fan of the Mesa stuff for this reason. They do sound great when you get it dialed in correctly, but you change ONE LITTLE THING, and it's all out the door....

For that money, I would get an Egnater MOD50/100. You get much more diversity of sound, 4 channels with the 50, 6 with the 100, and with a Recto module, you can get those Mesa tones if you want them. Cleans and middling dirt are MILES better too.

EP

8. broknstuff

broknstuff Member

they both can be switchable from 50/100 watts on a per channel basis, if that helps.

9. Miles

Miles Member

No, you're right, there are some more options with the Roadster, but it's also heavier on your wallet, and I would never need 4 channels or the burden of replacing some 13 tubes. Thus, I own the rectoverb.

10. CudBucket

CudBucket Member

I have a Road King II which the Roadster is, minus the progressive linkage. It's a super versatile monster amp. I sold all my other amps after I got it. The 4 channels and independent tube configuration for each, as well as independent reverb for each are really like having 4 different amps.

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

Cleans are miles better than the Roadster's? I thought the Roadster cleans are similar to the Mesa Lonestar?