Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic/Dual Rectifier Reborn vs PRS Archon vs Orange Rockerverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Power7, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Power7

Power7 Member

Hi people, I need know the tone differences between each one. I need something to play Hard Rock and Alternative Metal. What can say me about this amps? I need buy the amp in this or the next week, I can't play the amps in a store, because I not have a store near from me to do it.

2. Power7

Power7 Member

3. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Member

Can't comment on the Archon, but I have owned all of the other three. I liked the two Mesas more than the Orange. The Orange was a bit more compressed and didn't cut as well in the mix. The power scaling feature on the Royal is also quite cool.

4. Power7

Power7 Member

Cool man, thanks for the answer =) I need know something, between the Royal and the Dual Rectifier multiwatts. Which is more darker and less brighter? Because I had a EVH 5150 III 50 watts and it is VERY brighter, I not like that, when I put the amp at high volume, the EVH was more brighter, more volume, more brighter, and with the presence in 0 and the trebble in 3, I not like that. very brighter. So, Royal or Dual to a dark tone?

Who is the tone in the Royal and the Dual Rec multiwatts. Explain me please.

5. tobereeno

tobereeno Member

I have a Royal Atlantic; it's voiced more like a Marshall, although the red channel really makes me think Soldano. I haven't been able to get a super-scooped Metallica/Dream Theater tone, but that's not what I wanted.

If you want heavy and dark, the typical go-to amp has been the Dual Rectifier. Then again, the Lamb of God guitarist uses a Royal Atlantic and he's very, very heavy: http://youtu.be/jEjDSfNB6VE

6. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

I agree on the cutting through mix with the Orange, but I will point out it is a dark amp and dark amps sometimes struggle cutting. So, if dark's what you're going for, it may work for you. I had a Recto years back and will also I felt the Orange had a more complex tone, which was cool.

7. Power7

Power7 Member

Excellent man, well, is very heavy in reality =) But, I need a heavy distortion, but, no so scooped, and more dark in comparison with my old bad friend EVH 5150 III 50 watts. You think that the Royal can do that? Because, my main problem is a brighter tone at high volume (shows, concerts).

8. Power7

Power7 Member

Well, this is correct, I need hear my amp with my ears and get the tone that I'm looking, not hear the tone that I'm looking in through a mix. Because, if I get the tone that I want when I play with it, that is all =) only a bit of work in the mix and more nothing. But, is very hard get the tone that I want, if the amp, naturally, not can give me this. :/

9. Power7

Power7 Member

10. Power7

Power7 Member

11. CptnMayo

CptnMayo Member

you're going to want the rockerverb. it's heavy. it's massively heavy. add some OD, it's beautifully compressed and cuts like a knife.

love mine. Glad i got talked out of a trade between it and a blackstar series one 200.

12. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

Check out the new Orange Dual Dark. It does just what you are looking for.

13. Power7

Power7 Member

Excellent man, hey, but, this one (the rockerverb) is not so tighter like the EVH 5150 III 50 watts? Because, I can hear in some clips (youtube, soundcloud), and I think that this is tight, but, I not know if this is more or less or equal of tighter than the EVH. What you say me?

14. protest

protest Member

When I hear Alt Metal I think Dual Rec. 5150 + Dual Rec = Metal Heaven (hell?)

15. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I have not played the PRS, but I would choose the Mesa Roadster from all the dual rectifiers out there. I had the EVH and it is inferior to the Roadster in every imaginable way (save its handy inclusion of midi control).

The Archon does sound like a beast however. It also looks good and it is cheaper than the roadster. The roadster wins by offering more options, but if all you need is two sounds, then you should try to play one. It reminds me a lot of the bogner uberschall.

16. sleewell

sleewell Member

I would pick the archon for sure.

17. Power7

Power7 Member

Yeah man, is a great amp too, but, is out of my budget :/ And, I think in that case, the Rockerverb can do the job too =)

18. Power7

Power7 Member

Yeah man, metal heaven, but, I not go to buy a second amplifier right now, only one. EVH 5150 III 50 watts always sound to me like very tighter, brighter without fuller sound, is like a small car sounding in comparison with this Ferraris.

19. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Supporting Member

Not that it matters much, since the Royal Atlantic is a great sounding amp, but I was told be a technician looking at the Royal Atlantic schematic that the RA-100 isn't completely tube driven. I assumed he was talking about the rectification section of the amp, to which he swiftly responded that the amp truly had solid state section in the clean channel. He then went back to the schematic to be sure he was right, then echoed his previous assertions.

Just thought I'd throw that interest tidbit out there. I just learned that a couple of hours ago.

20. tobereeno

tobereeno Member

I guess it depends on what you want out of the clean channel. My ideal for clean is a Jazz Chorus 120, so I'm fine with solid state there :)