1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

mesa boogie studio preamp.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by toolshed, May 18, 2011.

1. toolshed

toolshed Member

im about to land one of these... just wondering if anyone has owned or does own or use these preamp and what to expect from it?

2. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

They are meant to be a really nice pre and can do a pretty solid 80's Metallica tone as well as a really nice clean.

Never owned/played one but I had a mate who owned one for quite some time and he said the clean channel on my Sherlock pre was extremely close in tone to the Studio (the studio pre is one of a group of preamps that the Sherlock was loosely modelled after) and this just happens to be a great tone.

3. darkknight91

darkknight91 Member

I've owned lots of Boogie gear. The Studio Pre, to me, is the best product they ever made. The gain is smoother than my old Mk III. I've heard it's more in the Mk II category. The clean is one of the nicest of any amp I've ever played. More of a modern clean that can break up nicely. With a good tube power amp, I don't think you can ever go wrong with one of these.

4. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

I have the Studio 22 head (the one with equalizer), and is one of the things I'll never let go....even if I don't use it much.

5. toolshed

toolshed Member

what about pairing it with a marshall 9005 50+50 with el34s ?

6. wizard333

wizard333 Member

Thats what Scott Henderson supposedly recorded a lot of the Tribal Tech records with. His tone didn't suck at all, in fact I much prefer his tone then with Ibanez S series guitars into that than his tone now.

7. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

:agree That was the reason why I bought my Studio 22 back in 1991! Great tone!

8. toolshed

toolshed Member

Awesome. I must look this Guy up and check him out.

9. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

10. toolshed

toolshed Member

Sweet:mmm. Will this set up be good for high gain

11. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

...Well it is Mesa but more of the kind of a Mark I or II. If you want to get there you'll probably need to put some dirt in front of it, IMHO....

12. toolshed

toolshed Member

hey, thanks... good stuff and great tone. I play alot heavier but im sure i'll get the tone outta of it. I mean, if nothing else the marshall with el34s will be great for the power side.

13. darkknight91

darkknight91 Member

It's been forever since I played through one of those amps so I can't comment on the sound. Mesa's were made for 6L6 tubes, but I'm sure EL34's will suit it just fine.

14. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

What kind of chorus does that tone?

15. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

You got to love it

16. drewl

drewl Member

I repaired one, but it's missing the 5 or so chips that handle the switching from the FU2 footswitch.

17. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

I owned and used one many years ago. It's hard to remember last week let alone 1989. I do remember that the clean channel sounded really clean and Fendery. No break up at all on that unless it happened in the power amp. The reverb was great as well. The lead sound was big and fat but like many Boogie's of that era your lead channel was also affected by the clean channel volume control. They are not totally independent. I paired mine with a Boogie 50/50 power amp at the time. It was a nice rig and I sort of wished I had kept the preamp. It's a bit deep though.

Here is a Todd Rundgren track with Lyle Workman on guitar and using the Studio Pre direct for the solos. At least that's what I was told back then by Boogie.