Mesa Boogie Studio Series 112 Combo - questions???

Top Geezer

Just picked up this amp from a local music store for $550 (not quite as good a deal as the bloke who found a $40 BF Bassman at a yard sale - lucky basket) - EL84's 22 watts with 2 channels foot switch, 1986 model - sounds great w/ my strat in the living room, seems to take pedals really well too. Looking forward to cranking it up with the band. I've done some google searching on the web and have not found much info. on this model. I currently have an old SFDR which I love, this is my first MV amp with some gain on tap.

Anyone else have one? What replacement speaker would go well with this combo. Also, I've never played w/ an EQ before - currently have it in a V shape, what's the deal with the EQ '80 240 750 2200 6600' what all this mean anyway??????

cheers - Damon

anibas

Hi.That's the first version of what ended up being the Studio22/22+ amps,the biggest difference being that it has a single volume/single master arrangement,whereas the 22 calibers had a master/lead master setup(which is not that effective,BTW).You don't see as many of these as you do the later amps,but it's essentially the same amp. You're on the right track with the graphic-it's there to help compensate for the overabundance of mids that these amps have,so keep experimenting with it.The numbers just represent the value that each slider cuts/boosts in Hz(below 1000) and Khz(above 1000).The most important #'s on that particular one are 240 and 750 Hz ,which is where you can dump most of the midrange if it's too much for you.Congrats on the cool amp purchase,and I hope it does what you're looking for.BTW,does the footswitch function on the front control the reverb or the EQ?It's been awhile since I played through one of these.

Top Geezer

Thanks Anibas - appreciate the EQ answer - the footswitch changes the amp for a lead tone or a clean tone. I've really been enjoying the amp around the house, the big question is how she'll do w/ the whole band. I'm thinking she's gonna kick some serious bootey. I've heard people say the original speakers in boogies were just okay, anyone recommend a good replacement speaker for this amp?

pcutt

Congrats! I had a Studio 22+ that I liked a lot. Mine had the stock Black Shadow speaker and to my ears it sounded fine. Like other 1x12s it was quite directional so I played around with different baffles and orientations to spread the sound. I downloaded the user manual and it said something about not diming both the volume and master knobs at the same time, so check into that.

Buddy Boy

Try leaving the sliders at near unity except the center one which should be nearly all the way down. Takes a lot of the nasal quality out.
Just picked up this amp from a local music store for $550 (not quite as good a deal as the bloke who found a $40 BF Bassman at a yard sale - lucky basket) - EL84's 22 watts with 2 channels foot switch, 1986 model - sounds great w/ my strat in the living room, seems to take pedals really well too. Looking forward to cranking it up with the band. I've done some google searching on the web and have not found much info. on this model. I currently have an old SFDR which I love, this is my first MV amp with some gain on tap.

Anyone else have one? What replacement speaker would go well with this combo. Also, I've never played w/ an EQ before - currently have it in a V shape, what's the deal with the EQ '80 240 750 2200 6600' what all this mean anyway??????

cheers - Damon

Top Geezer

thanks guys - Raymund - great looking 22 you have there, love the grill on it and the vanished pine.

Smakutus

When I did the guitar show thing back in the 90's we'd carry one of these with us for people to try out guitars and effect pedals. Made any guitar sound good.

Jeff

kortlanda

I'm running a Weber Blue Dog Alnico in mine, and I like it much better than the stock speaker. Also changed V1 to a NOS 12AY7 (6072A) to reduce the gain on the lead channel.

Top Geezer

I'm running a Weber Blue Dog Alnico in mine, and I like it much better than the stock speaker. Also changed V1 to a NOS 12AY7 (6072A) to reduce the gain on the lead channel.
Good tips - funny....my amp tech (Angelo from Solasound) recommended a Weber Blue Dog Alnico too..must be on to something here.

The speaker is the original black shadow I think????

Yeah - really want to hear this amp through 2x12 or 4x12's for a bigger spread of air.

davetcan

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread but I also just picked one of these up. It's in pretty good shape although someone pulled the reverb tank from it and there's actually no sign one was ever mounted anywhere in the cab. I assume it's similar to my F-30 and just wrapped in a bag and velcro'd to the bottom or side. No sign of any wiring for it either. Does anyone have any gut shots or pics of the back of an amp I could look at? This one is Serial # SS137 so it's pretty early in the production. Would anyone know what tank I need and where to buy one? I'll contact Boogie on the off chance they'll reply, I hear they're usually pretty good.

NicDo

My old .22 (non EQ) was my first amp.

It has the spring reverb built into it- not down below like the F-30 (which i also have). Very underrated, yes. Great class A tone.

davetcan

It has the spring reverb built into it- not down below like the F-30 (which i also have). Very underrated, yes. Great class A tone.
Do you mean the reverb is actually built into the chassis? I never thought of that. I get a loud hum as soon as I turn it up and put it down to it not being there. Might just be a tube if that's the case.

davetcan

Thanks very much for that tip, never would have thought of looking there. A simple fix once I opened it up. The green to white wire had come loose at the tube end. All is good now. Looks like these things run kinda hot, which I've read elsewhere.

mvd18969

Yes they run very hot (EL84s are notorious for that). I have an old .50 caliber head (4 EL84s) which was my main gigging amp back in my metal band days. An absolute rocking amp. The studio .22 is almost same design. I bought mine new in '88 and a power tube shorted out from overheating 6 mos or so after I bought it. I had my amp tech install a fan and its never been a problem since. They didn't include a fan on these to kind of keep cost down but I would highly recommend having it thoroughly checked out and a fan installed. Enjoy it, it's a great amp.
Thanks very much for that tip, never would have thought of looking there. A simple fix once I opened it up. The green to white wire had come loose at the tube end. All is good now. Looks like these things run kinda hot, which I've read elsewhere.

franksguitar

I had an original .22 that sounded great, had to replace filter caps and used to cut out on me and then sold it.

Flogger59

I still have my firt run non-EQ Studio .22, Randy Smith demo'd it for me. The speaker was a special design for the amp, they spent a lot of time on it, and IIRC it's an Eminence. I have a Thiele/C90 cab, and it sounds great through that, as well.

Trending Topics