1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluuzluvrr, Sep 10, 2005.

1. bluuzluvrr

bluuzluvrr Guest

Hello everyone,

I was thinking of possibly getting a Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues Amp for playing cleanish stuff, blues, and classic rock at home. Was wondering if anyone has tried or owns one, what they thought of them, what pedals go well with them and what tube or speaker changes they made if any, to optimize their tone. Thanks for your help.

2. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

3. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I had one for a short while. Very boxy sounding; it was o.k with pedals but was not overly pedal friendly.
    It didn't last long.

4. righthandman

righthandman Member

I've had one for many years, for a while it was my main gigging amp. Yes it's boxy sounding, but it has a very cool and unique sound. Every time I gigged that amp at a club with a soundman they always came up to me after the gig to say how much they liked the amp. I've actually had two of them, they sound really great with a tele and both of mine love pedals. The weird thing is that it really doesn't sound like a boogie at all. It's like the boogie for people who hate boogies. It sounds great in the studio, it doesn't weigh much, plenty loud with an OD pedal, great little amp.

5. fatback

fatback Member

I got my Subway Blues about 8 years ago. I grabbed a floor/demo model from the Hollywood Boogie store for $350. Probobly the best cost/performance raitio of any new amp I've bought. It is a simple amp that does it's one thing very nicely. I have used pedals with it to great effect, as long as I'm not pushing too much bass through the 10" speaker. I agree that it doesn't sound like a typical Boogie. I think of it as a mutant Princeton running on a pair of EL-84's. No it doesn't sound like a Princeton, but they both are small, low watt, medium headroom, 1x10, single channel reverb combos.

I run the volume on mine at about 4 to keep some headroom if I'm using a bunch of pedals. If I'm only using a boost, I'll put the amp up to 5 or 6 and roll back my guitars volume for cleans. I'm considering throwing a stouter speaker in mine to keep the bass tighter. It's a simple amp that does its' one thing well.

With that said, if $$$ wasn't an issue I'd look into a blackface Princeton or a Fargen/Solloway before going with the SB.

6. bluuzluvrr

bluuzluvrr Guest

Teleman and Righthandman,

What do you guys mean when you say boxy?

Fatback,

I looked at the Fargen website for the Soloway model you mentioned and didn't see it, is it a brand new model? or something that is custom made?

7. onemind

onemind Member

Fargen-Soloway Amp info here...

http://www.jimsoloway.com/FargenAmp.htm

I have a subway rocket, just like the one described in the auction. I even have the matching cab (though mine is hunter/wheat and in much better shape!) I always think I'm going to move it out but then I plug it in, and with contour engaged get the nicest, singing, searing lead tones, plugged straight in. It's a loud little amp, and actually quite versatile. One of my favorite "bang for the buck" amps.

8. bluuzluvrr

bluuzluvrr Guest

Thanx again for your input guys!!, anyone else have experience with these amps?!?

9. mprvise

mprvise Member

Ditto almost all of this. Many compliments from sound guys. Boxy? Definitely with the bright/fat switch in the fat position - mine is always in the bright position. I bought mine new about 10 years ago and have used it for gigs, recording, and rehearsing. Still have it and use it for smaller gigs and sit in situations, as well as rehearsing. It's a keeper! :AOK

10. bluuzluvrr

bluuzluvrr Guest

What kind of music are you guys playing with it and what guitars do you play through it?

11. monacosis

monacosis Member

i got a blues a while back and I am very pleased. i often run it through a seperate 1-12 Bogner cab and that smooths out the tone a lot. the variety of speaker options is a big plus to me.

it's a darker amp (i like that) and def not at all like a *modern* boogie. i usu run it at 12 to 2 o'clock and it is plenty loud for me. i play jazzy stuff on a Hamer Monaco III semi-hollow w/ P90s.

i haven't found the right od/dist pedal to mate with it. my old Rat def does NOT work. i've tried a the AC booster and i have a Zendrive on order. we'll see....

Great amp!!

mike

12. righthandman

righthandman Member

This is what I really love about this amp: I've done rock, country, blues, jazz, pop, even some dance band gigs with the SB and it was just fine for all of the above. I've used it with teles, strats, les paul, 335, PRS HB, Anderson,etc. All sounded great. For overdrive the FDII always sounds great with it. The only thing is it took me a little while to get used to the sound, as I said it's a pretty unique sounding amp. But after I got used to it I really came to rely on it.

13. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

I really dig these amps, I own 5 of them, and I use one everyday, great practice amps, and wonderful for small gigs.

The only 2 downsides are that it does sound a bit boxy, and headroom can be an issue. Running them out to bigger cabs eliminates the boxy-ness well. The SB throgh a good 4x12 is surprisingly good, definatley more marshall sounding than other boogies at high volume. I rarely use it as a combo, using a bogner 1x12 with a closed back really helps the sound, or any good closed back cab also.

Lately at home I just run one completely dimed through an ultimate attenuator, it's a lot of fun like that, total gain machine, but the right gain, not over the top and sloppy.

Also, I've found that using different tubes can yield some great results, switching out tubes in most amps usually gives a subtle change, with these amps you really notice the different tones of different brands of tubes.

14. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I had the Subway Rocket Reverb and thought the same thing. After I'd sold the amp, but before I'd shipped it off I played it through another cabinet. The result was that it sounded great through a bigger speaker and cab.

Bryan

15. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have two Subway Rockets and love them, the speaker is the deal breaker. Change it out and it will make a big difference, add an extension cabinet and presto-chango it will come alive! I use to run into one Subway Rocket and come out of the effects loop into a Rocktron Replifex and then into a Mesa 20/20 power amp into a stereo 412 cabinet. So I had a Quazi, W/D/W rig, sounded great. The Subway series are extremely loud for their wattage/size.

TheGrooveking

16. Wheels

Wheels Gold Supporting Member

Hey...that sounds familiar!

I thought the Subway was boxy too. So I sold it to onemind.
    Just before I shipped the amp, I played a gig with it (with the ext. cab) and it sounded amazing! It was the perfect volume and grind for a band in a small/medium space.

How ironic..hate it til it's gone...

Hope you're still loving it, S.

Wheels

17. bluuzluvrr

bluuzluvrr Guest

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated, could anyone give me more of a description of what "boxy sounding" means?

18. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

Hi.

I own one subwayblues reverb.

Very fat cleans, perfect with a tele. breaks up early, no clean on stage.
    very dynamic, I once forgot to step on my RAT for a solo and didnĀ“t notice for a while!

I use it with a 2x12TQB Boogie Cabinet, with solves the midrange-boxy sound of the tiny eminence 10"

especially cool with a rangemster.

see you
    DrDespair

19. righthandman

righthandman Member

To me "boxy" means it just sounds like a small amp. Small speaker, small cabinet. But, as others have said, hooking up an extension cab really opens the amp up in a big way. I often use mine with a Boogie 1X12 thiele cab and it's perfect. I used to have a 2X12 with V30's that was a good match also. But to my ears it's still a great little amp without the extension.

20. monacosis

monacosis Member

to me, boxy means a pronounced midrange. i think a lot of players' ears are accustomed to fender cleans and the subway has a lot more mid content. that is not a bad thing, necessarily.
    again, plugging this bad boy into a Bogner 1-12 cube smooths the mids out a bit when i want to.

ymmv

mike