Mesa Boogie Suspends New Orders Through 2021

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not sure if this has been discussed in detail on TGP, as I've only found little mention of it here and elsewhere. It appears that due to supply chain issues, availability of parts, the changing the transformers vendor from Magnetic Components to Schumacker, and possibly the Gibson acquisition of Mesa Boogie, they have decided to forgo all new orders/custom shop orders. I'm not sure if this applies to amps only. Some sites like Sweetwater have limited supplies of amps available, but their more recent models like the Badlander are n/a. I have also read from Phillip McKnight (fwiw) that Gibson-Boogie is requiring authorized dealers to potentially triple the size of their orders if they want to retain the title of being an authorized Mesa Boogie dealer, meaning a lot of smaller operations will no longer be officially carrying Mesa Boogie. The Lark Guitars article linked below does a good job of describing the situation. I've also posted a screenshot of a Mesa Boogie employee talking about it over on Talkbass.

84t14r7.png

brQTXo8.png

Jstarr

Damn that's not good... I was wondering why I received a couple unsolicited offers on my custom finish Mk V over on FB over the past few weeks, at first I thought it might have been the Gibson announcement but I see now it was probably this info that spurred them.

darchirnoj

I bought my black Mark V 90 head from Sweetwater in October. It was the last one in stock. I would check back regularly and noticed they had never restocked it.

Such a shame. Hopefully things get back to normal for Mesa and other builders soon.

LCW

I bought my black Mark V 90 head from Sweetwater in October. It was the last one in stock. I would check back regularly and noticed they had never restocked it.

Such a shame. Hopefully things get back to normal for Mesa and other builders soon.

My Mesa dealer saying a lot of stuff back ordered until like March 2022

GTRJoe

Silver Supporting Member
The title makes it sound like they are not building any more amps for the rest of the year. This is not the case.
It sounds they are just trying to catch up with existing orders.
Considering what's been going on the last year I think this is to be expected.
I know the transformer change put a serious crimp in things. Keep in mind that every model has a different transformer. They have to be spec'd, built and tested and there are are bunch of safety precautions now that also require testing.
Not to mention the guys at Mesa are very picky. The amps are not going to get out until they sound right.

starbelly

Gold Supporting Member
I'm actually curious who the person in the Talk Bass thread was referring to when they mentioned Seattle retailers. Since the Guitar Store closed, there are no Mesa dealers in Seattle, which just seems wrong, haha.

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
I have also read from Phillip McKnight (fwiw) that Gibson-Boogie is requiring authorized dealers to potentially triple the size of their orders if they want to retain the title of being an authorized Mesa Boogie dealer, meaning a lot of smaller operations will no longer be officially carrying Mesa Boogie.

Eh, Gibson gonna Gibson.

willie k

Gold Supporting Member
Since the bigger amp companies are suffocating from lack of inventory and distribution, unable to keep up with orders, i wonder if this is more opportunity for the small Boutique builder ?
They are having supply chain issues as well, but you know that!

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
Frankly, I’ll be shocked if the company does not move to Nashville. I know renovations on the building that is owned is happening. Usually, that’s because you want to sell it. Again, I have friends there and I’m so frustrated about the acquisition, but I get Randle needing to retire. I hope they don’t move but it’s not looking good.

Last edited:

Zenki

Silver Supporting Member
Frankly, I’ll be shocked if the company does not move to Nashville. I know renovations on the building that is owned is happening. Usually, that’s because you want to sell it. Again, I have friends there and I’m so frustrated about the acquisition, but I get Randle needing to retire. I hope they eant move but it’s not looking good.

That'd be weird. I've been a very happy customer for more than fifteen years and probably like twenty pieces of both new and vintage kit, I've been there a half dozen times, and thus far the acqusition hasn't really bothered me. Business happens.

But if they move out of the north Bay there, naw, that's not the same company anymore to me, it's just a logo. Mesa is a California thing to me. Can't really explain it...

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
That'd be weird. I've been a very happy customer for more than fifteen years and probably like twenty pieces of both new and vintage kit, I've been there a half dozen times, and thus far the acqusition hasn't really bothered me. Business happens.

But if they move out of the north Bay there, naw, that's not the same company anymore to me, it's just a logo. Mesa is a California thing to me. Can't really explain it...

It won’t be the same because the avg length of service for employees is like 15+ years. That will all be gone and yes, it will be a totally different company and will only carry a name.

Been a customer there for over 20 years myself.

Top Bottom