• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mesa Boogie Suspends New Orders Through 2021

Badside

well, while that’s a valid point, ALLEGEDLY it’s because the old supplier shut down. Schumacher is still a great company, that they’re switching to.

I mean, Magnetic Components did shut down abruptly back in September 2020 IIRC. It left a bunch of amp manufacturers running around to find replacement manufacturers. Hammond has picked up a lot of the DIY slack but because of that a lot of their stuff is often OOS right here in Canada where they are made. Fender/EVH also felt the pinch, EVHs amps are also facing huge delays and are super hard to find (especially the 50W heads).

As for the minimum 250K$ buy-in... that is IMHO a very sad news. I'd much rather encourage a local mom & pop store than a big faceless chain.

In fact, I ordered my Badlander 100W head back in December from an independant store up here in Canada... they have yet to receive it. During that time, I have seen them pop up at various Long & McQuade stores, saw one in person just this weekend. Clearly MB has been favoring the big buyers.

Don McK

Since the bigger amp companies are suffocating from lack of inventory and distribution, unable to keep up with orders, i wonder if this is more opportunity for the small Boutique builder ?
I know Mark Bartel of Bartel amps recently mentioned he had otherwise finished amps on the shelf awaiting power transformers.

PaisleyWookie

I mean, Magnetic Components did shut down abruptly back in September 2020 IIRC. It left a bunch of amp manufacturers running around to find replacement manufacturers. Hammond has picked up a lot of the DIY slack but because of that a lot of their stuff is often OOS right here in Canada where they are made. Fender/EVH also felt the pinch, EVHs amps are also facing huge delays and are super hard to find (especially the 50W heads).

As for the minimum 250K$ buy-in... that is IMHO a very sad news. I'd much rather encourage a local mom & pop store than a big faceless chain.

In fact, I ordered my Badlander 100W head back in December from an independant store up here in Canada... they have yet to receive it. During that time, I have seen them pop up at various Long & McQuade stores, saw one in person just this weekend. Clearly MB has been favoring the big buyers.

Yeah, I have a Badlander 50 head on order since December. It is what it is. Gotta keep Sweetwater happy! Though they don’t have A ton of stuff either.

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
He’s fine. He was my senior engineer when I was the Genz Benz product manager. He also didn’t disclose anything that isn’t a challenge for all of us manufacturers at this time.

Nice dude! Loved Genz Benz. My bassist is still rocking a 4x10 we scored for $300!!!

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
I know Mark Bartel of Bartel amps recently mentioned he had otherwise finished amps on the shelf awaiting power transformers.

we were in a similar position during the spring, waiting mostly for power trans to complete orders. The trickle-down from Mag Comp closing was felt everywhere, even if using other makers.

BlueRiff

Not smart to stop all new orders in 2021 even if they'll continue to produce. Let their customers decide of lead-times are too long and use as this as an opportunity to discuss with customers. Help them find alternatives if there is huge urgency to build goodwill until the storm has passed. Manage the demand by projecting the real lead times and use that to prioritize the customers who have been most loyal - move them up the list, etc. Turning off the order system will ensure they're forgotten as the market adjusts ... permanently. They must have really bad forecasting capabilities in their business.

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
Not smart to stop all new orders in 2021 even if they'll continue to produce. Let their customers decide of lead-times are too long and use as this as an opportunity to discuss with customers. Help them find alternatives if there is huge urgency to build goodwill until the storm has passed. Manage the demand by projecting the real lead times and use that to prioritize the customers who have been most loyal - move them up the list, etc. Turning off the order system will ensure they're forgotten as the market adjusts ... permanently. They must have really bad forecasting capabilities in their business.

It only makes sense IF they're also planning larger changes for 2022... this pause on new orders would give them an opportunity to catch up before hitting the reset button. I stress "IF", because nobody has stated anything for certain, but reevaluations tend to happen after mergers, regardless of what their press release stated. If they hadn't just been effectively purchased by a larger company, i would completely agree with you.

GTRJoe

Silver Supporting Member
The did not stop all new orders. If you read the quote from agedhorse in post #1 it says,
"Actually, we are still shipping a lot of products to the North American market. We are not taking new US/Canadian orders for delivery before early 2022 in order to allow us to catch up on existing orders that have been delayed due to a serious industry wide parts shortage of many parts."
So, the shop is still open, they are building, and apparently taking new orders, but new orders will not be delivered until next year.
Sounds to me like they are managing things pretty well considering.
BTW everyone should read post #110 above. That should put that crap to rest.

Last edited:

BlueRiff

It only makes sense IF they're also planning larger changes for 2022... this pause on new orders would give them an opportunity to catch up before hitting the reset button. I stress "IF", because nobody has stated anything for certain, but reevaluations tend to happen after mergers, regardless of what their press release stated. If they hadn't just been effectively purchased by a larger company, i would completely agree with you.
Excellent points!

mikebat

Global supply of parts is low. The same issue is plaguing car companies.

Mesa decided not to take new orders until they catch up.

No fire here.

BlueRiff

I wonder if this means they're retooling to roll out their new "Boogie-Master" digital re-issue line ... :oops:

CJReaper

Their customer service is still up and running and kicking butt, that's for sure (Gibson hasn't ruined that yet, lol). I asked them a total nerd question ("What's the impedance curve for your reactive load based on?") and they got back to me right away with a really informative answer. So, I'm glad they are focusing on filling current orders so I can get a Powerhouse attenuator from Sweetwater as soon as they are back in stock.

SgtThump

That's what I think. It only makes sense to me if they plan on making big changes, like maybe cosmetic changes, rebranding, etc... But yeah, I'm just guessing.

I bought a Dual Rec back in like 2001. It was a standard model, but back then I had to go to a shop, order it, and it took about 3 months to show up.

Coolidge

Double Platinum Member
Meh, my new Mesa stack arrived last week! Took about 5 days to arrive after ordering.

index.php

Top Bottom