Mesa Boogie Tremoverb... Why did I ever sell my other two?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tele_jas, Dec 20, 2009.

1. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Well, I picked up a Mesa Boogie Tremoverb 2x12 combo last week (semi-local trade)...Now, I'm no Mesa new-bie.... I've had MANY Boogie Rectifier amps: Triple, Dual, Single, ROV, (two) Tremoverbs, Road King, and a Roadster - but I was playing in a semi-hard rock band when I went through all those and never really used or liked the cleans, but then again I was using a really hot dual humbucker guitar too. I'm currently playing a couple of Telecasters with Lindy Fralin Blues special pickups in them and I'm playing a lot more on the clean channel than ever before..... As a matter of fact, I can really get by just fine with my Hayseed30 and a couple pedals, but there was just something I was REALLY missing when we would do a hard rock tune...... the low-mid growl of a Rectifier.

Well, I'm happy to say that I got that "low-mid growl" back in my rock tones, but I was pleasently surprised when I dialed in a clean tone!??!!? The clean channel on my other two T-verbs never stood out to me as really that good (could have been the guitar too), but this can get as twangy or spanky as I want it to..... Enough so that I could do some classic old country with it and have that "Bakersfield" twang going on. If country isn't your thing, you still have to apprecieate the clean tone on this amp, not what you would expect from a "metal" amp. Which makes me wonder, could it be the speakers? This T-verb has V30s in it where I always used a Genz Benz G-flex cab with my other Boogies, except the Roadster which also had V30's and was also one of my favorite boogies.

I can't really compare this to my Roadster's cleans, which are supposed to be based off the Lonestar, but I can say they aren't as "Fender-ish" as the Roadster (which also has a wonderful clean tone), but they are IMO just as nice. The reverb is even better than I remembered.... Enough so to pull of some surf tunes without any help from an FX unit providing extra reverb.

So for those looking for a great rock amp with steller cleans, the T-verb is a great place to start..... so tell me, why did I get rid of my other two T-verbs?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

A friend of mine just bought back his Tremoverb head. He had it when I met him in college, sold it and finally came back. Its kind of cool to come back full circle. I am a bit surprised Mesa discontinued the Tremoverb....

3. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

One of the best amps they ever made IMHO

4. Keld

Keld Member

I don't really view the Tremoverb as a metal amp - more of a rock amp to me. And it does sound great, on a number of different styles and settings. You could do much worse than a Tremoverb for an amp.

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Can you put 6v6's in them to lower the wattage?

6. Makemusic85

Makemusic85 Member

I don't know enough about amps to say whether you could put 6V6's in, but check out www.eurotubes.com. They've got a re-tube kit for the Tremoverb that has two 6V6's and two KT77's for the power section. I'm planning on purchasing the kit soon. I've heard lots of good things.

7. cjp54

cjp54 Member

Dont' know if you can run 6V6's or not but you can just remove two of the 6L6's (or EL34'S) and run it at 50 watts.

8. mmcdonald2khome

mmcdonald2khome Member

I love genz benz cabs. They have a ton of low end. I have 2 for sale if anyone is looking for one.

[​IMG]