Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimmybcool, Jul 22, 2005.

1. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

Well, I just got home from the guitar store. I listened to the Zinky. Me likee.

But, there was this Mesa Boogie Mark IV (used) on the floor. Only used amp in the place I think. So, I ask if he thinks this can give me the sounds I like. Being classic rock and blues stuff. Yup he says. Plugs in and I can hear MORE than on the Zinky (no disparagement - the Mesa has twice the original price point).

So I took the Mesa home. My first "real" amp.

Time to set it up :dude :dude

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Congrats on the new amp! It's a good one.

3. 908SSP

908SSP Member

You got great amp with huge potential. For Boogie specific questions check out the Boogie Board don't quit here. :D

4. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

One of the most versatile amps ever. Have fun finding your "own" sound.

5. somedude

somedude Member

Rock 'n Roll!

\m/

6. jimmybcool

Thanks guys. Today has been - err - hectic. Once I got the amp, well, the small area in my home office that I had been practicing in was not really gonna cut it both for space AND for sound as it was in the middle of the house with no door. :rolleyes: I could see turning the amp on even in tweed mode was gonna be a problem.

Sooooo, I eased into the idea of using some of the extra bedrooms space, the room that supposedly the wife uses for sewing and her cookbooks. In reality, it is an unused room with all her stuff laying on the floor in chaos. I'd complain more about that except a) she doesn't complain when I come home with a $1000 amp unplanned and b) she is a really good cook so she must actually READ them things despite the mess. :D

Sooo, I'm thinking the antique living room furniture she got at an estate sale might be disposable but NOOO that stuff is worth $2000 (although she paid $100). So she compromises by saying she will get rid of the chaise lounge/chair thingy in the bedroom (the one that has only been sat upon by the cat in 7 years) and move the antique stuff there. But this means we need to borrow the neighbors 200,000 mile deisel pickup to take the chaise lounge to the furniture resellers place, which we did.

So, buying the amp set a chain of events into motion I could not have imagined. However, the net result is I have a much larger practice area with both my amps and all my guitars handy. I WIN.

:dude

Ya know this is the kind of day that starts songs like Alices Restuarant. In four part harmony.

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The amazing thing about buying an expensive, complex amp like the MkIV is that you can tell your wife "but honey, it's the last amp I'll ever need! - and actually believe it yourself, for a while at least (although in fact the wife is smarter, and doesn't anyway, so you don't get the benefit).

I tried this technique with my DC-5, and it was really true for about four years.

:)

After I realised I did in fact need (*want ;)) a type of sound that it didn't do very well, there was only one solution... buy another Mesa! A Maverick. Now I really did have every amp I ever needed.

Until the Blue Angel showed up, anyway...

:D

8. jimmybcool

:D

What can you do?

My wife went through this with me before on hobbies. I am a gear nut. The good news is this time I think I am doing it right. Instead of buying cheap stuff and then replacing with the good stuff I just went for the good stuff (I hope).

I think I should get good tone with a PRS and Mesa boogie. One can only hope. :)

9. Robotechnology

Robotechnology Supporting Member

Got a chance to put a MKIIC+ & a MKIV thru their paces last week. Great amps!

10. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Congrats! I have a Mesa Mark IV combo (my second one) I have modded mine with a EVM12L speaker, JJ tubes, Canare speaker cable and after market AC power cord - sounds killer!

Enjoy!

11. jimmybcool

Thanks.

Hey, some of what you modded I understood. But an after market POWER CABLE?

How could that matter?

12. LavaMan

You would not think it would work but it does. I decided to try (build one) after watching Rick Derringer use one with his Mesa Lonsetar at a guitar show - he told me it worked and his amp sounded better for it. Like my other cables I found which brand Rick was using and I did not want to pay $150 for a power cord, so I made my own.

Since I have been using mine, my Mark IV has sounded thicker, and I havce had few noise problems on my gain channels playing at the weekly blues jam I go to.

Here'a a quote from a gear page member who got one from me:

"I just got his 6 foot Lava Power cable for $75 - and a set of his Lava patch cables

every other high end audio cable i've ever even heard of is at least twice the $$$

so does it work?

I definitely noticed an improvement in something...you know, i have heard the argument over and over again, and i don't know what to say...there is something there..it's hard to quantify...kind of like the punch or clarity a new set of tubes or instrument cord gives ya...but i tried it, liked it...unplugged it, plugged the old one back in, compare the two again, and then decided to give the old one to my niece to use as a jump rope (she's almost five - early birthday present)"

13. -kk-

-kk- Member

nice score :dude is this making the trip over to Phuket?

14. jimmybcool

Wow. I thoiught I had misread your post. Apparently NOT.

I can't imagine how the power cord could matter unless it has a built in frequency filter or something. Or the original was preventing adequate current flow.

Any linkees to splain how this works?

Thanks

15. jimmybcool

KK

The amp stays here. That would be a handful through international airports. BTW I don't live in Phuket it is Pattaya. Phuket is the place with the real estate bust last December.

Nope, gonna take the Strat and buy an amp there. Probably just a little nothing with a headphone jack so I don't piss off my neighbors. I know who will live on both sides of me (new building no one in yet) and they BOTH have regular hours of in around 3AM and up at noon. I am an early bird usually done with a workout or golf driving range or both by noon. :cool:

I'd like to try their lifestyle but I'm always sleepy by 11 PM. Sucks gettin old an uncool. ;)

16. -kk-

-kk- Member

oopss, thats right.. my bad. you aint old, you're just refined :)

17. jimmybcool

I'm gonna try that line on my wife sometime. If I live I'll write about it here. ;)

18. LavaMan

Have not found any really good links to explain why it works, just a lot of testimonials from users of various types of these cords. The cable I use is double shielded, 12 AWG silver tinned copper, it is very stiff, as are alot of these cords. I talked with my Dad recently who is a retired electrical engineer, and he believes that that the large wire gauge, and shielding have a lot to do with it - basically you your are giving the power supply or rectifier tube cleaner, more consistent power, therefore your tubes work more effeciently and you amp sounds better - this is the only explaination I can come with it and it not backed by any scientific data.

19. jimmybcool

LavaMan

As a tech weenie myself I'll posit what it could be.

a) Look, the wiring in the HOUSE isn't special shielded or guage so it is being delivered to the outlet on the same guage wire or less than your power cord I think. It is "possible" that in the room with all the other amps and "stuff" and wires falling on top of other wires that the power cord is picking up some kind of harmonics and feeding that back into the amp. Possible so shielding would help. If so why don't amp vendors simply have a filter on the power input?

b) Or is it possible that it is a placebo effect.

I can't for the life of me figure out anything else it could be. But it wouldn't be the first time I didn't "know" something.

But please, don't let my wife know cause she thinks I know everything. :rolleyes:

20. LavaMan

Amp builders are focused on cost and the unique designs - power is an after thought, most of them use standard cords.

I heard the difference myslef along with two bass players at my local music store when I made my first one. We used an Ampeg Bass rig with a seperate power amp and pre-amp. We noticed no difference when use on the pre-amp side but when we switched power cables on the power amp there was definitle a sonic boost with the cable I made - we even had a semi-blind test as the bass player testing asked another bass player who was there (without telling him what we we doing) if he could hear a difference. He did - and then asked what we were doing.

I do not believe it is a placebo effect - as eveyone who has used my cables has commented that they work.

The diffrenence is subtle - but noticeable.