Mesa Class A VS Class AB EL84

Red Planet

So I was looking back at a post and it made me think just which are what.

What Mesa EL84 amps are Class A and which are Class AB?

I know the Lone Star Special is billed as Class A and the Maverick to me sounds like Class A while the Mini Rectifier (just by playing it) is clearly Class AB.

I got some rather rude post for some reason when I posted about it so lets keep this thread to if you dont have anything nice to say don't post.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
The Lonestar Special is the only amp of those that I have personal experience with. It is only truly Class A in its single-ended 5-watt power mode. The other modes are called "class A" by Mesa, but not by other experts in the tube amplifier field.

I wouldn't worry too much about the whole Class-A thing anyway. Other circuit characteristics matter much more: preamp type, fixed- vs. cathode-bias, negative feedback, phase-inverter type...

- Thom

Red Planet

The Lonestar Special is the only amp of those that I have personal experience with. It is only truly Class A in its single-ended 5-watt power mode. The other modes are called "class A" by Mesa, but not by other experts in the tube amplifier field.

I wouldn't worry too much about the whole Class-A thing anyway. Other circuit characteristics matter much more: preamp type, fixed- vs. cathode-bias, negative feedback, phase-inverter type...

- Thom
Not really worried just want to know which are.

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 5:25 and the manual claims it is Class A in 5w mode. I dunno enough about it to know if it's legit or not.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
Not really worried just want to know which are.
Worry isn't the right word, then. What I mean is that the whole Class A mystique is not significant in deciding about the sonic qualities of an amp. Other circuit design parameters are much more telling (preamp & tone stack type, fixed- vs. cathode-bias, negative feedback, phase-inverter type, rectifier type...).

- Thom

Trending Topics