Mesa Dual Rectifier advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PetCobra, May 2, 2016.

1. PetCobra

PetCobra Member

After clearing out a few amps from the stable, I've settled down with a Bogner Shiva I was able to get for a great deal locally. I have some left over scratch, which is pretty rare these days, and I was thinking about picking up a used Dual Rec to kick around.

My question is this: is it worth the extra couple of hundred bucks to get a Multi-Watt, or should I just pick up an older three channel version?

Now, I would love to have an early two channel version, but those aren't as easy to come by. And I know it's a matter of personal preference and dependent on my needs of the amp, but that's too logical. I would love some completely different takes to give me more to consider.

Thanks!

2. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

couple thoughts;
    Have you played both versions?

Have you considered a single rectifier?

3. PetCobra

PetCobra Member

I have played every different model, including the single. Most of them I played when I was younger and I really don't think I got the most out of them. More recently, I owned a multiwatt Dual that I loved. I had to part with it due to some financial issues.
    I'm sure I'd be happy with either, but I'm always interested in hearing views from either side. I assume there are people firmly behind each of the options, so that might give me more to consider.

4. cardinal

cardinal Supporting Member

If you use an effects loop, you want a Multiwatt and its serial loop. The parallel loop in the others is terrible IME.

5. PetCobra

PetCobra Member

That's exact the kind of thing I wouldn't have considered. I always defeated the loops on mine and ran all my effects out front. It might be worth it to future proof if I ever want to break out any old rack effects.
    Thanks!!

6. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, you can convert the parallel loop to serial by moving 2 wires. It's a very simple mod. And takes 5 minutes.

7. mickelodeon

mickelodeon Member

I would humbly suggest having a look for a Trem-o-Verb. Not impossible to find, and IMO, the gem of the entire recto lineage.

8. cardinal

cardinal Supporting Member

Yeah, I ran the FX out front, too
    That kinda works, but it won't get the same thing as a true serial loop. The mod seems to just try to make the parallel loop 100% wet all the time.

9. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

grab a single rec and call it a day. Loved that amp, wish I never got rid of it. Some reason I thought bigger more complex was better, so I got a Dual, traded it for a Mark III and stopped.