Mesa EL84s in a Blues Junior?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Bryan29, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Bryan29

Bryan29 Supporting Member

So I'm having trouble with my Blues Junior being a tad bright. It's also slightly harsh.

So as I'm opening up the back I look at the tubes. The original owner put in Mesa EL84s in the power section and a Mesa spax7-a in the first slot. Original Fender branded tubes in the second and third slots.

Is this part of my problem?

If so what tubes should I replace them with?

Thanks!

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Maybe, but without knowing what the Mesas really are (Mesa doesn't manufacture tubes) it's impossible to say. Lots of people have found Blues Jrs too bright and tubes weren't the main culprit.

3. Bryan29

It's not the brightness I'm curious about. It's the gain or edginess that I'm thinking might be caused by the tubes.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It could be, or it could be that you don't like the amp or speaker. I never particularly liked the tone of those amps and I'm not alone;)

5. Billm

Billm Member

You might try a 5751 in V1 to soften the edges a little bit. Tube brands just don't make that much difference in tone.

The real limitations in Blues Junior tone are in the component values, and the problem is easily corrected if you don't mind a bit of soldering. There's a great-sounding amp hidden away in there.

6. Bryan29

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

I actually like the amp a lot. It's just so close to being perfect and if a little extra something will take it closer I'm game to try it