Mesa/Engineering

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Joe Boy, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

I just love my Mark I. After having played this amp for over two and a half years, I still love it. Sure, there are other builders and fans of other amps out there but this not so basic...basic rig works just fine for me.

FX loop, different power settings, tweed switch, great cleans and quiet when your not playing, good looks, and cascading gain.
    Just slight tweaks of the dials and you have a world of difference in tones.

Yea, I had a great rehearsal tonight.
    Not mention my Les Pauls love her to..."loud"..!!

Southbound

:BEER

2. somedude

somedude Member

+1.

I'm a Mark series convert after having recently switched from a Rectifier to a MkIII combo. Such great tone in an easy to carry (if heavy) package.

Simul-Class, EQ, Reverb, EV EVM 12L......I love this amp.

I've tried many different amps, but everytime I plug into a Boogie it feels like home. It's enough that even my wife notices and says I sound the best through one.

3. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

I remember the comments..."awesome tone, dude..what pedals are you running"?....."what pedals"..??..

Built like Fort Knox for a reason.
    Maybe some day I'll get a Route 66...but for me...."Lets Boogie!!"...:dude

4. zoemunchkinpro

zoemunchkinpro Member

Yea Boogie is definately the best amp...I own an original Mark I that I bought back in 1976...waited half a year to get it ...because back then it was just Randall Smith his then wife Raven and one other guy building them...custom order...I got a one twelve Altec 417...60/100 watt option...when I finally got it ... good God the sound blew me away it was better than I even imagined!!!!! I have had years of great enjoyment from that amp...it has the most incredible lead tone ever...I have since picked up a Mark IV... which is far more versatile with three independent channels...and since I have been playing in a gigging band for the past 25 years it suits my needs better...I bought the Mark IV back around 1992...and yesterday I bought a Fender Bassman 59 LTD ...which I really love ...so natural sounding and so resonant...awesome bottom end...works very well with my Mark IV!!

GUITARS: 83 Fender Strat and a Fender / Warmoth Strat,Gibson Les Paul custom,and a Jackson Soloist (original) also Gibson L4 (Historic), and a 74 Guild F40 jumbo Acoustic
    EFX: RMC1,Silver Mod Analogman,KOT Analogman,Brown Mod Analogman,RAT,Analogman mini Bi Comp,Captain Coconut 2,TZF,Analogman Stereo Clone Chorus,Boss DD5,Boss GE7,and Boss Line Selector
    EFX on order: MI Audio Blues Pro,Zendrive 2,and Mosferatu
    AMPS:Mesa Boogie Mark I (original), Mark IV,Polytone mini brute,Peavey Special 130,Fender Bassman 59 LTD

5. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I'm a long time Boogie user as well. I'm often asked "What pedal are you using for overdrive?" I just love answering that. "No pedals, the amp does that all by itself."

6. somedude

somedude Member

+1. I've tried just about every common OD through this Boogie, and although they all sound good, it always sounds better when you turn them off.

7. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Glad I'm not the only guy who likes the Mark series.

8. HHB

HHB Member

I've got MKI head #264, 5 band and verb, it's an amazing amp. I also use a reissue MKI head set clean w/ pedals for my barband gigs, either thru my Bogner openback 410 sounds fantastic

9. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Thank god for Randall Smith. I have been a boogie user for 15 years. I played a studio preamp rack ( ya know the whole 80's thing) for a long time. Last year I sold a bunch of other stuff including the rack and bought the grand poobah, a MarkIV widebody 1x12. I couldn't be happier. What great tone and versatility.

Petaluma Rocks!!:dude

Scott

10. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan Member

South East, UK - dissecting yet another Huff solo
    Hi Southbound,

I'm having a similar honeymoon with my Mesa F-50, almost three years after purchase. I liked the turn of phrase you used, "not so basic ...basic rig" - very apt. :)

The F-series is another Boogie that is basic by Mesa's modern standards, but has all of the options most players look for. According to Randall, the F-50 is more stripped down than the Mark II and more resembles the Mark I. Most importantly, it simply bowls me over with its tone, both for clean and dirty (and even filthy) sounds. Still ravin'... :cool:

Big smiles,

Andy.

11. LaXu

LaXu Member

One thing I hate about Mesa amps is that many of them have very poorly designed control panels.
    • Important controls like reverb situated in the back - even though there's space in the front. But noo, having the amplifier model on the front panel is more important.
    • Cramped controls. The MkI and other older Mesas are not so bad but those with multiple channels have very cramped controls, not helped by the short chassis height where the edges of the chassis often hit your hands when adjusting controls.
    • Weird power switches. Some models have those "tweed" modes and the power switch works like tweed-off-on. Makes no sense to me, wouldn't off-tweed-on work better?

Other than that they do have well built amps and by far the best amp manuals. I don't like their European pricing (2x what the amps cost in USA) or that "use our overpriced tubes" biasing scam.

12. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I'll be the first to admit that I use pedals with my Mark I reissue. I generally run the preamp at 5, and kick on a Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker ad/or a Fulldrive2. Add a wah wah, set master volume to suit, and you've got my standard gig rig for the last 15 years. I can go anywhere from SRV to Warren Haynes to ZZ Top and beyond.

It's such a simple yet effective rig.

...Stormin!

13. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I have owned two Mark IV combos and a Studio 22. Still have one Mark IV combo and love it.

14. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

I've been thinking about the Mark I. How quiet is quiet. Do you have a sample clip when you're not playing on each channel? I currently have the F30 which I love, but it's high gain, so I get the hiss. I can manage it, but not having to manage it would be sweet.

Also, 100 watts only on the reissue has me concerned, man that is loud! My F30 at home gets loud unattenuated (and it's really only 22-ish dyna watts).

15. -kk-

-kk- Member

lots of love for the blue angel, my main squeeze. also *just* added to my mesa stable with a studio 22+ from the emporium (cant wait!), and had a nomad 100 durin my 'rock star' days :)

great amps. ever since i started playing, i've always wanted a boogie. 1st boogie amp was a dc-5, what a beast.

funny that even now when im not after the 'big rig' setup i still find my tone with the most un-mesa of all m/b amps, the blue angel. love what it does.

16. HHB

HHB Member

regarding the mark I reissue, if you use the tweed power and 60 watt setting your around 50 watts, it can go as low as 22 w/ 6v6 and intentional impedance mismatch

17. mprvise

mprvise Member

I've got my share of higher end amps, and they all sound really fantastic. But whenever I feel like using a workhorse of an amp (outdoor gig with extreme heat or rain potential, etc.) I break out my trusty old DC-5. I'm always amazed at how good it sounds everytime I play a gig with it (only a few times a year). It's no Two-Rock or Bruno, but it really sounds great once it's dialed in. Come to think of it, I might just have to plug it in tonight.

18. raz

raz Member

The Mark I's and the the Mark I reissues are great amps, especially if you're running humbuckers through them. The reissues, at least, need a mod on the input to be friendly to Strats.

I sold my MIRI about five years ago as part of the ongoing search for perfection. I don't miss it, per se, but if I'd known then what I've learned since then, I wouldn't sell it.

Someday I'm gonna have some spare cash and run across a deal on some Mark-series short head, maybe a Mark IV. I'm gonna buy it and stack it on a Thiele 1x12 and an open back 1x12. I'll haul it out every so often and pretend it's 1990. :dude

19. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I have a Mark 1 re-issue, one of the original re-issues (called Son Of A Boogie: SOB) custom build for a friend of mine in 1981-ish - blond with tan.

It has an amazing amazing tone that sings and glides and is very versatile . . . . there are only two problems:
    it is two channel but with seperate inputs - not switchable, no effect loop, and no reverb, and no 'tweed' switch . .. those are new to the new 're-issues' . . . which, of course, brings up the question, with all those differences how can the new 're-issues' be properly called re-issues at all?

but more importantly - the big problem I have with the amp:
    it's in California at my brothers house, unboxed, not ready for shipping, and I don't have the cash to have it sent to me here in Wisconsin :(