Mesa experts -- what can you tell me about this MKI combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axe_34, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Axe_34

Axe_34 Supporting Member

I absolutely *loved* the MKI mode on the V I owned. Super fat, massive and harmonically rich.

One of the bigger used dealers in Toronto has a MKI combo for sale for $799. It was modified to add an effects loop.

They say it's from the late '70s but not much more. It has an EVM 12L speaker and graphic EQ.

Anyone know the year for this one? I'll be in the city and might stop by to try it out. Looks like it's been sitting there for a couple of years so it may be a dud tonally. Won't know for sure until I try it but I wanted some opinions on whether or not it would even be worth the time.

http://www.12fret.com/2012/10/03/mesa-boogie-mark-1-modified-combo-late-70s/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

There should be an assembly date written in Sharpie in the underside of the chassis, between the tubes. Looks to be a clean, original Mark I (no reverb) and is DEFINITELY worth $799, as long as you like the way it sounds.

3. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

My understanding is that the Mark I with the graphic EQ was an addition much later on in that product's timeline.

4. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

As a quick suggestion, take an extra set of tubes with you it you have any. I say that because a friend of mine let me try his Mark IIC+, and it sounded pretty good, but then he told me the tubes were at least 20 years old. I put 6 new 12AX7As and 2 TAD 6L6WG in it and OMG - different amp. Went from pretty good to awesome. So it might not be a dud as you say, could just need new tubes.

Quite frankly, if I found that deal in my hometown it would be mine right now.

My 2 cents.....

Al

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  5. kimock

kimock Member

No way is that worth 800 bucks.
    Wrong cab, too big, wrong grill, wrong hardware, EV with a metal dustcap?
    Non-Mesa loop mods, no way to tell what else is modded, etc.

It's a late MK1, EQ is right, but that's a very sketchy bit of work for that much money.
    I'd pass without even plugging it in, but if you're right there it's never wrong to listen, but no way at that price.
    You can do way better.

Google some MK1 images, you'll see what I mean.

6. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

7. markedman

markedman Supporting Member

Why would you want that amp? If it's calling your name, buy it but I doubt anyone else will pay that much when you go to unload it.

8. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

Wow, I didn't even catch the cab and grill one the 1st pass. Nice catch Steve!

9. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

That amp looks like a super janky chop shop job. I'd be suspicious of any "original" MkI selling for $800. Too good to be true.

10. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

Yep, me as well. Shows I need to pay more attention before I post. (hanging head in shame....)

Al