1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mesa F-30 clips

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by andershoeg, Jul 10, 2006.

1. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

Hi. Did some new soundclips of my Mesa F-30 today. Recorded at low volume, but anyway. Located lower right, named "F30"-petrucci/rock/motleyC, push red play-buttons. Here we go:
    http://www.soundvenue.com/band.asp?id=1032

B.R. andershoeg

:dude

2. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

What effects did you use for the Whitesnake jam?

3. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

Thanks bikerdude2, but the whitesnake-jam-track is all "amp-fake"! Amplitube, with Logic Pro /'s "tape delay"-plugin. So no f30 there....just to let you know. But that was what i used for fx when i recorded that a long time ago.

B.R. andershoeg

4. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

That was my 1st clip. I'll check out some more later for sure. Thanks for sharing!

5. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

6. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Nice Clips! Are you using the Combo or a head? If you're using the combo are you putting an EQ into the loop to tune a little more gain out of the CH2 + Contour? What guitar, mic setup are you using as well?

I enjoy my F-30 but haven't tried to record any clips with it yet, and you got a bit more gain than I can usually squeeze out of mine.

7. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

Thanks mavrick10_2000. I AM using the combo actually, but I do not use any eq in the loop. the clips is the f30 all by itself. Sounds strange that I'm getting more gain than you usually do, because on the highest gain-setting on those clips (the bottom three, that is!!) the gain is at about 12 o'clock on its highest! I have got huge amounts of gain on ch.2+contour. Sounds weird!?

8. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Thanks. I get quite a bit of gain, and rarely put it past 12 OClock, it's probably the recording that focused it so well.

9. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Nice clips. You should ask boogie if they'll use them on their site to sell that little amp. I have a MKIV and really thought i was done with gassing for amps but that little 30 watter sounded pretty damn good.

Scott

10. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

Ok. I just got the idea that you did not have enough gain, but you do. I also don't put the gain past 12 oclock. The recordings features a couple of guitars spread out to the sides, both playing e.g. the petrucci-thing. so it's pretty full-sounding, but it is also two guitars playing the same. Nevertheless, I think it is a fullsounding amp by itself, just love the way two or more guitars make a wall of sound :)

The recording is actually made pretty simple; guitar->f30->sm57->Motu828mkII-Mac w. Logic Pro 7. So it IS the raw F30 all by itself! It is an amazing amp, I think! Love it :)
    B.R. andershoeg

11. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

Thanks Scott. Don't think Mesa uses any amp-clips on their site. But that would be an honour! :)
    Never tried the MKIV, but have only heard good things about it! But the f30 really is amazing. A recordist's dream! Only problem I have with it is it haven't got enough headroom when jamming hard rock in a bandsituation. But that wasn't what I bought it for.....for that I have got my single recto.
    BTW, the f30 takes pedals really well....if you have to use them. Actually I have a Boss OD-3, and it sounds sooo good in on the clean channel of the f30! Classic rocksound at its best :) But that's another story.
    B.r. andershoeg

12. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

andershoeg,

Are you referring to clean headroom, or overall perceived volume? Based on the style of music you're playing, I'm guessing you're jamming pretty loud.

If you're referring to overall volume, or ability to cut through in the mix I'd recommend plugging your F-30 into a good 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet to see if that helps. I've tested with a 3/4 back Mesa cab and it sounded enormous. Same with a 4x12, Mesa, Bogner or other equivalent cab of your choice.

13. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

Hi mavrick10_2000! I'm referring to both clean headroom and overall perceived volume. But you are right, we are playing pretty loud. Actually I made these clips for a Harmonycentral-forumite who asked if I could do some highgain/metal clips of the f30. I never use the amp in my (loud- and hard-playing!) rockband. If you play classic rock and other styles I'm sure it is loud enough.
    I have a 4x12" mashall 1960a cab, and yes it is very different using this one with the f30! But that is all natural, as you are moving more air and the size of the cab gives more bottom-end. But I didn't buy a f30-combo to lug around my 4x12" :) I use it for more modest setups, practice and recording. And for that it is absolutely perfect!
    B.R. andershoeg

14. Whiskeyroad

Whiskeyroad Member

sweet anders...man, ya gotta love that mesa