Mesa F-50 with Grainy OD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mgp141, Dec 22, 2009.

1. mgp141

mgp141 Member

I own a mesa F-50 head that I am playing through an Avatar 4x12 with vintage 30s. When I would jam with my band channel 2 sounded fine possibly because it was really loud with everyone playing. We started recording and found that it is a very grainy overdrive/distortion.

Is this an amp issue?

What amp could I be looking for that would have a nice smooth but capable distortion with a good clean as well?

2. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

Go to Harmony Central, they have a thread there with somewhere near 4,000 posts that is dedicated to the Mesa F series. I own an F50 and I don't hear a grainy gain at all, almost violin smooth on the neck pickup which is where I play 90% of the time. Try turning the gain down below noon.

Mesa's can be tricky to dial in and the F series is no exception, that is why the thread a HC will help you, there are a lot of optional settings to try, anywhere from a very Marshally sound to a full blown recto.

3. ungarn

ungarn Member

Could very well be "how" it was recorded.
    If I run the gain up on the 2nd channel of my DC-5 head, it too can sound grainy. Sounds much better and crunchier with the gain backed off to 6 1/2 or 7 and then run up the Master and Output (louder).
    You might want to try some overdrive pedals to achieve the smoother tones you described. Check out some clips at proguitarshop.com or the youtube clips by gearmandude to get an idea.
    Good luck!

4. NicDo

NicDo Member

I have to use the second channel (practice only) with the gain up no more than 9 o'clock. It's just not my favorite distortion sound. Very far from smooth to me. I'd never record that sound.

But i just love the cleans!

5. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

I don't think I could get mine to be grainy, even if put a fuzz pedal in front

It has the smoothest distortion and sings for days

6. pgissi

pgissi Member

The answer is in your post most likely.....hint- call me the V30 police

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

If it sounds good but records badly, it's probably a mic or mic placement issue.

8. 09STREETGLIDE

09STREETGLIDE Member

I have an f-50 combo i play through a mesa 1x12 cab and mine sounds real good. I run my gain at around 3 oclock and the mid at 11 oclock bass at noon, treble at 1 oclock and it rips.

9. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

Bingo!

10. pgissi

pgissi Member

Surely less is more but if you spend enough time perusing this place one of the running themes you see is players asking the same question related to grainy or harsh tone and then they go on to mention the V30.

Its the character of the upper mids and lower treble which is great on clean tones and or max od tones and imo, its missing all of that in between nuance since that grain is always present once your in OD.

You could try to dial it out while recording with sweepable mid shelving eq and/or repositioning the mic on the speaker of course, try a different mic.

11. theroan

theroan Member

The F-50 lacks a certain amount of tightness. When I had one I put an MXR 10 band eq in the loop and it really made the amp come to life.

12. darkknight91

darkknight91 Member

I had an F50 and never had to run the gain above 12 o'clock. That was using it with single coils and humbuckers. It's not a hard amp to dial in because the eq does virtually nothing. The gain was not grainy. I was running it through a THD 2x12 with classic 80's and it was smooth. Too smooth to the point of being boring. Didn't find it lacked any tightness either.