Mesa F50 combo for 1965 Super +1K

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RockinJV, Dec 8, 2012.

1. RockinJV

RockinJV Member

Is it worth it investment wise? I am selling my BF 1965 Super for $1800 locally. I have been offered 1000 bucks + a Mesa Boogie F50 combo.

Thoughts?

2. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Mesa F50 1x12" combos usually sell in the $500-700 tops. Exc. amp but totally different from your Super Reverb

3. RockinJV

RockinJV Member

Yeah, he can't sell his and I can't sell mine. Nobody's buying right now.
    He's asking $675. They ususally go for a bit more here in Canada.

I have a deluxe reverb that I use for rehearsal, love the SR but it's too big to carry everywhere.Not sure I will ever have the opportunity to blast it the way it should at any gig that I might do. I'm doing this for fun. Occasional gig. Jus thinking the F50 will fit the bill when the DR isn't loud enough.

4. kush06

kush06 Member

Ugh, I played an F50 once. Horrible, horrible amp. Maybe it was me but I couldn't dial in a good clean or dirty sound and I spent some time trying. Seriously one of the worst sounding amps I've ever played. I say keep the Super, you'd be getting hosed on that deal, IMO.

5. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Member

I love my F-30. Great sparkly cleans-to-pushed-cleans, solid crunch, and awesome Metallica-style grind.

However, that's a lot of trade value he's asking. Nice amp, and far more versatile than a Super by itself, but it's really up to you whether or not you'd benefit more from the drive channels.

6. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

Yeah but the Super has crappy speakers from the 70's. :barf

7. RockinJV

RockinJV Member

Why didn't you say you didn't like them in the first place Jim!

Amazing how many people have wasted my time trying to sell this amp.

74 CTS Alnicos are better than the original Oxfords BTW! Don't know where you get crappy... maybe you should listen first.

8. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

They don't have that great a reputation. I did tell you the Boogie was probably sold and made a cash offer based on non-original speakers.

9. RockinJV

RockinJV Member

Hmmm, I have never heard anything bad about CTS Alnicos. Many on this forum think they are the perfect speakers for the BFSR.

I played a 68 AB763 Deluxe Reverb with original speakers and mine blows it away.

Anyway...:horse

10. reddog112

reddog112 Silver Supporting Member

I owned an F-50 for one weekend and one gig, then back to Guitar Center. I probably didnt give it much of a chance, but it blew a fuse and two pre-amp tubes in one show. I decided it wasnt meant to be. I would get it dialed in and then two songs later I would be messing with it again.

Id keep the Super

11. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Mesa Boogies are sometimes a little harder to dial in than a trad. Fender. One of the keys is understanding how they voice their controls. If you are use to Fender settings it will be a bit different. Also the pre volume shapes some of the tone as well. Look at a F 50 manual on Mesa'a website!

12. RockinJV

RockinJV Member

Thanks for the input guys, but I don't think Jim wants my amp anyway. After what I have read, I'm not sure I want a mesa either. I love Fenders.

13. Mike7

Mike7 Member

I have played a Mesa amp for 10+ years and still do if the Club/Hall/Event is big enough, I had a F-50 and I would recommend Mesa to anybody who plays guitar, but unfortunately for Mesa the F-50 is one of their dogs of an amp. They don't have alot of bad amps, but like any other amp company they have a few and the F-50 is one of 'em.

14. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Thank You Great Spirit! Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely forced to agree. I love the Mesa amps I've owned, but I was shocked at the horrible sound when I played the F50. Don't do it. F50's are not worth $675........ $500 tops in mint condition, imo, unless it has the EV speaker in it.

15. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

Anyways, forget the boogie.
    I made a cash offer which I thought was fair.
    The Mesa is an awesome amp and has really good cleans. I wasn't able to find one negative review. Its no Super reverb, but it sure isn't a dog.
    But, seems to be that a lot of TGP'ers only use the price tag to judge the "tone" of their amps.

16. RockinJV

RockinJV Member

Jim, I made you a counter which I think is fair. It is also what I paid for it last year. We can take this offline if you're still interested.

17. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

18. RockinJV

RockinJV Member

Yeah, good idea.

You should not try my Super.

Nothing will compare after that!

The Super takes pedals with no issues at all BTW.

19. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

I know I would love the super. There really is only one thing I am reluctant about. We play in a really tiny jam room and my guitar amp sits right beside and slightly in front of the drummer. I'm worried with the 4x10 open back he is going to get blasted. He did complain once about the open back of the Boogie, and I wasn't even that loud.
    That was one advantage of the Boogie, its so small, I was easily able to block the back.
    The 2x12 of the bassman will be easier to "focus" the sound on me so I can hear myself over the crazy drummer.
    I'm still dreaming about the Super, maybe one day I can afford both.