mesa in a box ??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stereotypy, Sep 14, 2006.

1. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

i know some of you read the title and think: what a fool! you can't get a mesa-like distortion out of a stompbox. the feeling is different, the sound is maybe close.

but anyway... i thought it could be a cool idea to list pedals you think comes really really close to a mesa boogie dual rectifier sound.. and i mean not that they could come a little close... i mean very close.

modelers like the pod are not allowed to be listed, because they are not really useful imo if you use other stompboxes and want your full clean sound of your amp. ok you could use a looper.. hm... should we let them count?

i think this is an often asked question,.. and most of my favourite bands do have dual rects.. so if this thread does go on well,.. i can edit this first post from time to time so that every pedal can stand in the first post.. ("travelling" through pages can be awful!).

or tell me it is a bad idea... :crazy

the list begins to grow:

Diamond Pedals Fireburst
    MI Audio Tube Zone
    Mesa Boogie V-Twin
    Gallien Krueger Diesel Dawg
    AMT Fatal Tube

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Maybe you could find one of these used?

3. el34power

el34power Member

I have never played the bottle rocket but i asume.....

I can vouch for the MI audio Tube Zone. The good thing s that you can also dial in a good british tone if you ever need to.

4. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

The MESA V-Twin gets my vote. It's a MESA pre-amp in a pedal. That thing is a scary beast! :dude

5. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

i have heard several opinions on those mesa pedals. some say they are great, others described them as too dark and unuseful... i never heard nor played one. what can you say about that?

6. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

MI Audio Tube Zone, it nails the high gain Mesa sound AND it can get many other sounds as well.

Cheers,

CJ

7. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I have a bottle rocket and it's surprisingly un-mesa sounding. It's good for med gain crunchy stuff. It sounds a little more Marshally when I compare it to my MKIV.

8. LavaMan

LavaMan Member

+1 again (just did this on another thread...) Owned one of these for 5 years. Killer pedal!

9. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

yep.. i haven't seen this thread before i made this one... well it's also a good discussion over there. so let this be more kind of counting the pedals.....

10. Mullet Kingdom

I think there's too many variables to be making those kinds of sweeping generalizations. Try one with your rig and see what you think.

11. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

I'm gonna chime in and say I have yet to play a pedal that nails the Dual Rec sound.. just not possible to my ears..

The Mesa Bottle Rocket doesn't sound like a Dual Rec in the sligthest in my opinion.. but the V-Twin is pretty close and since you don't want it all the time it'd be a great compromise.

As you said in your OP, there are too many variables.

12. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

The V-twin is an awesome pedal,definately not too dark and certainly not unuseful. It took some tweaking,but I've dialed in some nice Recto tones out of it.
    The Power Amp out definately has more balls than the Guitar amp out does,but to use that out, I had to put it in a loop box because the bypass switch does'nt function when you use the Power Amp out.:NUTS The headphone out sucks big ass.
    The V-twin has filled my Mesa needs since I downsized and sold my 2 channel Dual Rectifier and Bogner Oversized cab.

13. teleshred

teleshred Member

If you'd like an inexpensive box the AMT Fatal Tube could cut it..

14. Phil M

Phil M Member

I was looking for this same thing a couple of months ago. Just for a couple of songs, didn't want to break the bank and just needed to get in the ballpark. I ended up with a used 3-knob MI Audio Tubezone and it does what I wanted it to.

15. Mullet Kingdom

It says "MESA" it's in a box -- what more do ya want? :D

MESA in a box

16. VanStone

VanStone Member

+1 on the MI Tube Zone.

V

17. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Another vote for the Tube Zone...but you can dial it out if you get tired of that tone very versatile box!

18. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Had the Mesa V Twin for about 5 years myself.
    Posted two threads about it over the last year on the LPF.
    Some like it some don't as said.

I don't use it as often as I used to but I still like it as much.
    I use mine mostly on the Clean Channel & also for the best headphone amplifier I ever had the pleasure to plug into.

The Clean & the Blues Channels (moreso the Clean) sound very Fendery- not like a Mesa. After all where do you think Mesa first got their preamp stage?
    The Gain Channel uses I belive 5? diodes for its distortion.
    I know the Clean is tube & I think the Blues Channel is too.
    The Gain Channel can be set to low gain to MASSIVE!
    It's good for letting the teenager in you out every once in a while.

Works really well on the Clean Channel when I plug my Martin in even though it doesn't need a preamp.

I also do not find it dark at all.

19. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I forgot to ask-

I tried the Bottle Rocket before I got the V Twin but it didn't do it for me.
    However the one I see on the site now is called the V1 & seems bigger than I remember- did they revamp this?

20. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Member

I've had the best luck w/ a Gallien Krueger Diesel Dawg. It's actually a bass distortion, but it's perfect for guitar. I can nail my Mesa's sound pretty much dead on. A little closer than my old VTwin could, imo. I never cared for the Vtwin, though, sounded like a POD to my ears.