Mesa JP2C

userd

Hi,

I played a JP-2C last week and liked it very much,
did not bring my Mesa Mk2C+ to compare with,

but I had the feeling that the JP2c has way more usable sounds in it (of course),
while being able to have that original sound replicated.

So is that the common sense that the new one can keep up with the original Mk2C+ sound- and feel-wise (not options wise)?

Thanks
D

pfrischmann

I can't tell you from a comparison to an original MK2. I do feel it's the best amp Mesa has build and for me, the most intuitive to dial in. I felt the clean wasn't quite as good as the clean in the MKV but still really good.

I don't know how close it is, but I can say it's a really damn good amp, and I like it a lot better than the Mark V. To me, the new TC-50 and JP2C are amazing amps; Mesa's really knocking it out of the park lately.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
I think it's a win-win. The JP2C is probably not going to hurt the value of the originals, yet those of us who would like a taste of that can buy it in a new amp. That's a win for everybody IMHO.

Then there are those of us who will prefer the features of the new amp enough to prefer it anyway. I had a friend that had one of the originals years ago and it was VERY cool amp, but super loud and as has been said often, not the most versatile if you need more than one tone at a time. He had his dialed much more Santana than Metallica, and it sounded great. But he was very picky about it and wouldn't let you change his settings even a little bit.

I think I'd prefer the 2 gain channels of the new model and the ability to completely dial in any of the 3 channels since they all have a complete set of controls, etc. I still want to try one. Won't dump my Mark V for one until I have and think it's better "for me" than the V is.

DreamTheaterRules

Gold Supporting Member
Oh, I think the values have indeed dropped on the originals. I sold the last of mine in the early/mid summer and know that I received significantly more than what some of my friends recently sold theirs at. I'm talking about $1K to $1.5K per amp, on loaded examples.

Of course, the rarity of the IIC+ added to the legend. Now, you have your choice of used examples that - for whatever reason - just didn't work out as hoped. I firmly believe that this impacts the value of the originals (e.g. just like the Silver Jubilee reissue did to that make's originals). Beyond that, the point you raise about the Mark V is a great one. Before, there was a handful of sage aficionados who would laugh at the notion that the lowly V could be better (in any way, shape, or form). If you found a IIC+, you simply bought it (presuming it had the graphic at least). Now, you have the chance to try out the JP2C against your Mark V or a BE100 or a DSL or a etc., etc. and reach your own conclusions. That by itself reduces the value of the originals given the massive hype that existed pre-3/2016.

Well, this bolsters the point that seeing what things are listed for doesn't necessarily mean that the listed price is what they are actually selling for, because most of the ones I've seen listed recently were inline with what I saw last year. I was torn between the almost mythical hype you speak of, and the prospect of spending thousands on a 30 year old amp. And, I've never quite believed that it couldn't be replicated. There is no magic fairy dust here, these are all electronic components and even the ones that make a difference, be it transformers, caps, etc, COULD all be reproduced if someone both A) wanted to do so and B) really felt that ONLY that particular part would make it sound as good.

I'm one of those guys who read all the original "they aren't as good as the originals" posts, including yours, when the JP2C came out, and decided that with Mesa being very open about the fact that parts values changed often, that as much as anything you were just used to the version you had and the one they built now had some variance of parts values, etc. from that one. Seems thought that, again like you, many have come around since and decided that the new one, while not "identical" is either as good, so close it's hardly noticeable, or even better than the original that they had. Then the other realities start to set in... "I can gig this without worrying about my 30 year old OTs blowing during a show", etc...

Plus the warranty thing I joked about. LOL

DreamTheaterRules

Gold Supporting Member
I hear what you are saying... (in a really "I don't hear what you are saying" kind of way. :))

userd

I'm one of those guys who read all the original "they aren't as good as the originals" posts, including yours, when the JP2C came out, and decided that with Mesa being very open about the fact that parts values changed often, that as much as anything you were just used to the version you had and the one they built now had some variance of parts values, etc. from that one. Seems thought that, again like you, many have come around since and decided that the new one, while not "identical" is either as good, so close it's hardly noticeable, or even better than the original that they had. Then the other realities start to set in... "I can gig this without worrying about my 30 year old OTs blowing during a show", etc...

What do you mean by that? =>new one / built now?
Do you mean the JP2C?

Did Mesa Change something in the JP2C?

if so, what and when?

DreamTheaterRules

Gold Supporting Member
Hey UD, no, I was referring to the original IIC+ amps. Mesa has been very open about the fact that many things changed (parts values that would affect tone, gain, etc) over the course of their production. So much so, that I've read some guys here say they played as many as 10 of them and no two were identical, although many were close.

That's what I was talking about would make it hard to compare the new amp to the old. I would assume all the new ones should be pretty much identical. But a guy has an old one, rolls tubes for maybe years til he finds the perfect tube for each slot, etc., and he has an amp that may not even sound identical with the IIC+ his buddy has... then compares it to a new one with stock tubes and makes "comparisons."

Trust me, a grain of salt was issued on my part when I read one review here.... a guy who has sang the mythical magic tone praise of his IIC+ for years, and even went on about the very thing I said above (years to carefully select the perfect tubes for each slot) and had sent it back to Mike B for a "tune up and minor mods" then played a stock JP2C in a store... so stock amp, factory tubes, and more than likely even the speakers of the cab he played were not broken in, and he quickly declared that the new amp just didn't sound as good as his IIC+.

Well,.... DUH sparky!

userd

Hey UD, no, I was referring to the original IIC+ amps. Mesa has been very open about the fact that many things changed (parts values that would affect tone, gain, etc) over the course of their production. So much so, that I've read some guys here say they played as many as 10 of them and no two were identical, although many were close.

That's what I was talking about would make it hard to compare the new amp to the old. I would assume all the new ones should be pretty much identical. But a guy has an old one, rolls tubes for maybe years til he finds the perfect tube for each slot, etc., and he has an amp that may not even sound identical with the IIC+ his buddy has... then compares it to a new one with stock tubes and makes "comparisons."

Trust me, a grain of salt was issued on my part when I read one review here.... a guy who has sang the mythical magic tone praise of his IIC+ for years, and even went on about the very thing I said above (years to carefully select the perfect tubes for each slot) and had sent it back to Mike B for a "tune up and minor mods" then played a stock JP2C in a store... so stock amp, factory tubes, and more than likely even the speakers of the cab he played were not broken in, and he quickly declared that the new amp just didn't sound as good as his IIC+.

Well,.... DUH sparky!

Thanks for clarifying !

all that makes sense, also good to hear that the JP2C has the same "Quality" in tone/feel ,
Close enough it does not matter if close means "a little better or worse" .
I think that my Mk2C+ has something special against all other amps I had and have, sometimes better than the ones I sold and sometimes just different than my Marshalls and Marshall-clones I will never sell.
Now it seems that there is a new amp in town that has something new and which makes sense to buy another amp.

My concern was in the first place that it is only a good idea/concept, but I played so many Mesas over the years that was lacking something, with the only exception of my Mk2C+ !

DreamTheaterRules

Gold Supporting Member
personally, I'd rather have a JP2C. I'm sure most of the older ones are great, but the new one is much more versatile in some ways. While the IIC+ may have a ton of tones in it, you can't get 3 channels worth set exactly the way you want. Plus, tanks that they are, the older ones will need some maintenance. I'd buy a new one and expect it to last years and years with nothing but tube replacements.

And none of that would matter if the tones weren't there, but most of the guys who got these seem to love them.

Plus that warranty thing. LOL

userd

Thanks for all your help!

Now I bought this: :)

15590418_1396772380335608_1480710093059774018_n.jpg

Last edited:

Bogner

I am surprised at the price difference from the regular release and the limited edition wood panel model.

TRGuy

Very nice! I got a JP2C in trade a while back, not hugely keen on Dream Theater but I thought I'd give it a try. Absolutely love it, such a beautiful liquid gain, very flexible, and I love the CabClone for silent practice.

BelgPJ

Very nice! I got a JP2C in trade a while back, not hugely keen on Dream Theater but I thought I'd give it a try. Absolutely love it, such a beautiful liquid gain, very flexible, and I love the CabClone for silent practice.

Interesting mix of amps you have

I was all things Mesa until a few years ago, and sold my MKV a year ago, which I kept for 5 years. The JP2C has my Mesa GAS fired up again though

How good / responsive / open sounding are the low gain tones in the JP? I share a Two Rock clean to edge of break-up interest, and not looking for the DT style, compressed high gain tones most guys seem to love through a JP

Trending Topics

Top Bottom