Mesa JP2C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by userd, Dec 19, 2016.

1. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I love the size of the amp and how much they have packed into it. Really nice! Many congrats! I tried one back in the summer and liked it a lot!

2. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I gave low gain tones a go after I read your comment. How shall I put this... hmm. This is a hi-gain amp and should be treated as such. The hi gain tones, with guitar volume rolled right down sound good, but if I wanted low gain tones through the JP-2C I'd use the clean channel with my King of Tone.

BlackwaterPark4 likes this.
  3. BlackwaterPark4

BlackwaterPark4 Member

I have the JP2C and it's definitely my favorite amp of all time. I've had a LOT of amps - and from Mesa, the IV & V and this thing beats both out quite capably. I'll agree with the above comment that the medium-gain tones are good, not great and that you'll want a pedal for those tones but that's been perfectly fine with me since I play more high gain anyways. The versatility in a single amp head and the tone are really out of this world. You can't go wrong with it :)

4. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

can someone illuminate a little more - what are folls considering low-to-medium gain tones vs high gain?

5. userd

userd Member

I really like my new JP2C, also against the 2C+,

it is so much fun to play and the sound quality is excellent!

Just curious: the TC50 (and some other Mesas) have a bias Switch for EL34 and 6L6 -
    I understand that 6L6 is the Trademark Sound for 2c+,
    but it is possible to Change to EL34 ?
    (not that I plan on doing so but........)

6. TCMx3

TCMx3 Supporting Member

how are the cleans?

I have an old IIa and it's a very hard attacking amp. EVM12L contributes but it's so immediate and punchy it's unbelievable.

Comparisons with either your Two Rocks or other Mark IIs would highly useful to me, personally. The amp is still on my list because of how much I like the II in general.

7. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

It's a good clean, I dig it. Compared to the Two-Rocks? Silly comparison really, the Two-Rocks have immense cleans, but the JP-2C has what I would call "extremely useable cleans," I wouldn't hesitate to use them at any time, it takes pedals well etc.

8. userd

userd Member

9. Jon Bcn

Jon Bcn Member

The Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic is really capable of nailing Mayer's tone (which is basically Dumble + Two Rock).

The JP2C cleans are in the same ballpark tonally, or are they different sounding?

10. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I've owned a Lonestar and it really doesn't come anywhere close to nailing Mayers tone, sorry. Compare it next to the Mayer Sig, you'd be surprised the difference.

JP2C are the MkV cleans on "Fat" mode I believe.

11. Jon Bcn

Jon Bcn Member

Sounds super close to me here:

12. userd

userd Member

after owning and playing both amps (2C+ and JP2C ) for a while I must say that I would rather keep the JP2C .

so many great tones !

...while I am still keeping the 2C+ anyways :)

13. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I mean in the room it might be better but that's really muffled and hazy sounding. I'd guess its part recording, part reverb, and part the bass being up too high in the mesa EQ. Do I think a Lonestar could do a passable Mayer? Yeah. Is that an example of one doing that? No.

14. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I looked at one when I bought my MkV:25 and it was way more amp than I needed both power and budget wise but I was amazed at how close it was in size to the 25.

15. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

So my local shop (L&M) just got one of these in. My good friend is the manager there and he let me take it home for the night. All I have to say is....

:):):):):)

As I said before, I tried it back in the summer and it piqued my interest. At home with some volume and playing with different settings and EQ, there is just so much in this thing. For me as well, the size factor and weight are a no brainer. I've always love the 2C+ sound. Running it through the Two-Notes studio and some optional Two-Notes Mesa IRs and it was like......:D

Needless to say, my Bogner head and 212CB are now sold and being picked up this aft. I waited a very long time to get it and it is a beauty but after getting my mini-Jube, I really am preferring that one more from both a portability perspective as I gig fairly frequently and that Marshall kerang. Another close friend of mine is buying it so I know it is going to a good home. He is stoked because he has over 20 amps but no Bogner so he has been on me for this for the last year.

To keep things smaller, I ordered a Recto compact 212 with a different grill and some trac locs on the bottom. The portability of this head along with the features and most of all the tone from it is just stellar!